Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 02:14 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times

Advertisements

I use a seed bank in town
Seed Savers KC - The Seed Library

once i get my harvest, they teach how to save the seeds so you can return them to bank later on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 01:59 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
Territorial and Harris.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:34 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
I've had good luck and find it's pretty easy to save seed from your best producers and most disease resistant lettuces, radish, arugula, spinach, squash, corn, peppers, cucumbers, beans, peas, and tomatoes. For the others like beets and carrots or for exotics, I use Johnnys, Baker, and Southern States (bulk Detroit Red beets for cheap)

I didn't know Dollar Tree had heirloom seeds, and so cheap, will check them out this spring. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2016, 06:03 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Seed Savers Exchange seedsavers.org - Purchased from them many times. More expensive than some places but quality seeds.

Victory Seeds victoryseeds.com - Have also made several purchases from them over the years. Never a problem with their seeds.

Totally Tomatoes totallytomato.com - Have only purchased from them a couple of times. No problems to note. Enjoy looking through their new paper catalog late in the year.

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds rareseeds.com - They have varieties others don't have. I have purchased from them at least three times. Like them, although some seeds had low germination rates. Due to so many hard to find varieties they are worth consideration.

mrtomatohead.biz - My new favorite due to good varieties, generous packet size (40 seeds), low prices ($1.49/packet), and free shipping for three packets or more/$.99 maximum shipping cost on less than three packets.

I've used others but these are the ones I recall off the top of my head. I've never ordered from Jung Seeds but they have items you won't find a lot of, or in some cases any of in most garden seed catalogs. Roses, etc.

If I ever have property to plant trees I'll check out Stark Brothers. I do enjoy looking through their varieties. Like trees probably more than most people.
My husband was so excited about mrtomatohead.biz that he already ordered a bunch of seeds. And they are on the way! Some great heirloom varieties there. Thanks!

Old 12-19-2016, 08:17 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
The Dollar General, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, WalMart inexpensive seeds are American Seed brand. It's under the same ownership as Ferry Morse, Livingston Seed, and seed starting products Jiffy and NK. They are pretty basic varieties of vegetables, but they grew well for me. I started peppers, hot, California Bell, and Hungarian Hot Wax, and it was a bad year for peppers here overall but they did okay later in the season. I'm attempting to overwinter those to get a jump start next year because peppers grow slowly. I started tomatoes, Beefsteak, and Delicious, from American Seed. But the seedlings went too spindly and it snowed in May, and then I neglected those plants and went and bought tomato plants at a local greenhouse. I did eventually get some tasty small tomatoes out of the American Seed plants. If it weren't for the weather issues, and my neglect, I think those tomates wuld have done great. They are kind of "generic" for people who want red and round typical tomatoes. My AS melon seeds never had a chance - - chipmonks ate them. lol. But the brand is good for growing plants on a budget.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:08 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
From the American Seed web site: We DO NOT produce SEED PACKETS that are sold at WalMart, Walgreens, Dollar Stores etc.

From the Plantation Products Co web site, that also has an American Seed label.

Last edited by gemstone1; 12-19-2016 at 10:27 AM..

Old 12-19-2016, 01:08 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
I use Park Seed and Tomato Growers Supply. TGS has a great online catalog with lots of different varieties of tomatoes and peppers. I get flyers from Park Seed because they often have good sales on seeds, sometimes for $1 per package.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:41 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post

....... We also have local seed companies that sell strains of vegetables etc especially suited to our climate. Most of the national "off the shelf" seed packets don't do well here.....
This ^^^

I'm in coastal Pacific south west B.C. I discovered a long time ago that the seeds that do best for me are from producers who are located in very close geographical proximity to me and have the same climate and similar or same type of soil and water. Those seeds come from generations of plants that are already perfectly adapted to my location's growing conditions.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:04 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
As it's 12°F here this morning, I'm thinking about the garden and seeds. lol

I buy from different places and even swap with some good folks. Trying to get into the habit of saving seeds each year so I don't have to buy anything anymore. It's really mostly herbs I buy now, and Eggplant and onions.

The usual spots

Walmart
Lowes
Burpee
Johhny's
Tomato Growers Supply

Old 12-20-2016, 04:56 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
Thanks for Tomato Growers supply !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden