U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 04:20 AM

685 posts, read 154,627 times

Advertisements

Not about chemical stuff sold, either as soil, or fertilizers, or whatever.

Rather please share what natural materials you use to water & feed your plants, &
how successful your own method is.

Thank you.

Last edited by 2 rainbows; 01-05-2017 at 04:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 09:28 PM

3,708 posts, read 4,213,998 times
I compost clippings, weeds, leaves, small wood chips, crushed egg shells, small bones and kitchen scraps (but no meats), coffee and tea grounds and any other organic material easily available from around the property. One thing I don't do anymore but would again if I had more easy access to them, and it's something which I highly recommend to anyone who does have access, is to add dead fish to the compost. It's something I learned when I was a kid helping my father (a horticulturist), he and I used to take wheelbarrows down to the river during salmon spawning time and we'd fill the barrows with dead salmon collected from the river banks. The whole salmon carcasses were spread out on the compost pile and covered with a layer of soil and humous, then another layer of salmon, then another heavy layer of soil and humous. Then the pile was covered with hay and allowed to rot over winter. This created the BEST COMPOST EVAH !!! Sometimes we would bury whole dead fish in the ground near the roots of any plants or fruit trees that needed a little bit extra "oomph".

I don't use fish now because of my location but every spring I get in a load of well rotted mushroom manure (rotted horse manure mixed with composted wood/bark chips) and I mix my own composted material with the mushroom manure. That all gets spread out and mixed in with the soils in the garden beds and patio containers, soaked with water to leach then allowed to sit for a couple of weeks to settle before I plant anything into the beds. I also add more earthworms to the garden beds and containers anywhere I deem more worms are needed.

That's all I do regarding feeding/fertilizing all the plants, that once every spring garden soil preparation is sufficient for the rest of the growing year. All I need to do throughout the rest of the growing season (9 months in my location) is water the plants when necessary. I don't use insecticides but if I find harmful insects I wash them away with the sprayer on the hose.

I believe that having a successful, responsive, beautiful garden depends just as much on other things that are done in the garden besides whatever is given to the plants in the way of food or fertilizer. How, where and when they are planted, whatever plants are chosen as companion plants, how far apart they are spaced, how often they are pruned and shaped, deadheaded. Daily checking for harmful insects or fungal infections and deadheading is extremely important. Regular weeding, staking, or thinning where necessary and fluffing up the soil around the plants every week or two to aerate the soil and discourage weeds is important to me. I get up close and personal with the plants, touch them a lot, talk to them, tell them they're beautiful. It works for me, they're healthy and beautiful and everyone is happy.

Last edited by Zoisite; 01-05-2017 at 10:14 PM..

Old 01-05-2017, 10:52 PM

3,707 posts, read 4,973,669 times
If you want to be self sufficient in feeding your garden from what you have on hand...get rabbits. Their manure can go straight into the garden and does not need to go through any composting.
Chicken manure is great too, but is very 'hot', high in nitrogen. It needs to sit at least six months before it can be used. Another way to add nitrogen is clover. Grown and then tilled into the ground.
I know someone who does not bother to compost, but instead feeds a fresh slurry. Any vegetative food scraps (includes breads and such) are put into a blender with water and then poir d directly into the beds. It works for them, but I would never do it as it would draw in to many animals because I live in a very rural area.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
If you want to be self sufficient in feeding your garden from what you have on hand...get rabbits. Their manure can go straight into the garden and does not need to go through any composting.
Chicken manure is great too, but is very 'hot', high in nitrogen. It needs to sit at least six months before it can be used. Another way to add nitrogen is clover. Grown and then tilled into the ground.
Thank you for your response too. - When we lived rural like you, we did keep rabbits, plus
there was a neighboring chicken-'business', up a hill no less, so all their manure eventually found its way down.
Here, was going to grow clover but no need, as it volunteered all on its own. Now, we have 10-20 yards of Horse gifts delivered, as often as we can get, to eventually sink down into it (like a down-comforter ) about 10 inches deep.

Neighbors at first laughed, because of how much work to haul... various materials (incldg 37 lb. cement blocks, with arm-fractures no less) all over the property. - But after they saw... how much we grow here, & how healthy, & how fast each season, they stopped ridiculing, & maybe they too will start growing some of their food, & flowers. Hope springs eternal...

Old 01-06-2017, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I compost
clippings, weeds, leaves, small wood chips, crushed egg shells, small bones and kitchen scraps (but no meats), coffee and tea grounds and any other organic material easily available from around the property. One thing I highly recommend to anyone is to add dead fish , the BEST COMPOST EVAH !!! Sometimes we would bury whole dead fish in the ground near the roots of any plants or fruit trees that needed a little bit extra "oomph". It's something I learned when I was a kid helping my father (a horticulturist).
Thank you so much for the kind book you shared for everyone's benefit here.
And I totally agree with the practice of trench-composting, as my grampa taught me, and as earlier native Americans also practiced. When nomadic, they didn't have time to muck around building+turning silly annual compost piles.
They found that burying fish pieces under their little seedlings produced vastly superior crops, that translated into health.
BUT
stoopid man-made disasters, such as 3/11/2011 in Japan, urges people be very careful about where any fish composted now, originates. Too many oceans are now poisoned with dangerous levels of radiation. As if that was not bad enough, in 2012 almost all salt added to commercially-made groceries, was changed from salt, to specifically Pacific ocean sea salt. Need people not wonder why Leukemia, & other cancers are again rising.

Quote:
I don't use fish now because of my location, but every spring I get in a load of well rotted mushroom manure (rotted horse manure mixed with composted wood/bark chips) and I mix my own composted material with the mushroom manure. That all gets spread out and mixed in with the soils in the garden beds and patio containers, soaked with water to leach then allowed to sit for a couple of weeks to settle before I plant anything into the beds. I also add more earthworms to the garden beds and containers anywhere I deem more worms are needed.
That's all I do regarding feeding/fertilizing all the plants, that once every spring garden soil preparation is sufficient for the rest of the growing year. All I need to do throughout the rest of the growing season (9 months in my location) is water the plants when necessary.
I don't use insecticides but if I find harmful insects I wash them away with the sprayer on the hose.
Yes, again agreed as to your successful methods. However, Can't fast enough spread those Horse gifts, & 10-20 yards wood chips around, because of severe physical & $$$$ limitations, iow this is a continuous year-long process. - So now we use 30-gallon plastic garbage cans (no lids so rain can get added), & dump old plants with roots, in the cans, one per house corner. - Next it became readily apparent, that watering plants by baptizing...each plant for 2 minutes (for potted flowers), unlike anything tried before, they flourished...

Via daily visual checks, we catch any nasty critters like aphids, or black spot, or mildew on roses, and deal with problems quickly. In other words we keep an up-close personal relationship with each plant. - Tho I find the more I learn, just how little I really know. Humility is a blessed ability.

Quote:
I believe that having a successful, responsive, beautiful garden depends just as much on other things done in the garden besides whatever is given to the plants in the way of food or fertilizer. How, where and when they are planted, whatever plants are chosen as companion plants, how far apart they are spaced, how often they are pruned and shaped, deadheaded.
Daily checking for harmful insects or fungal infections and deadheading is extremely important. Regular weeding, staking, or thinning where necessary and fluffing up the soil around the plants every week or two to aerate the soil and discourage weeds is important to me.
I get up close and personal with the plants, touch them a lot, talk to them, tell them they're beautiful. It works for me, they're healthy and beautiful and everyone is happy.
re you giving plants daily intimate 'pep-talks', you sound just like me. Two neighbors said "Why do you always talk to your plants, like they understood ?" - my answer "Plants are Alive, same as animals & us humans. They possess a native intelligence, that constantly communicates..., & when we choose paying attention, we can lean from them what they really need to thrive... "

Some things I'm just learning:
1. ground-Covers, Hedges,
2. Companion-planting, Pruning, & dead-heading, to prolong... flowering.
3. How to present... plants at the State fair. why? to pay for the costs... of the garden we nourish.
4. How to share with others, what I have learned, so they too can benefit.

Thank you so much again for sharing your wealth of wisdom much appreciated.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:55 PM

3,708 posts, read 4,213,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 rainbows View Post

.... < snip > ...... BUT stoopid man-made disasters, such as 3/11/2011 in Japan, urges people be very careful about where any fish composted now, originates. Too many oceans are now poisoned with dangerous levels of radiation. As if that was not bad enough, in 2012 almost all salt added to commercially-made groceries, was changed from salt, to specifically Pacific ocean sea salt. Need people not wonder why Leukemia, & other cancers are again rising.

.... < snip > ......
I don't worry too much about that. I keep in touch with the regular monitoring of radiation in the Pacific and the fish that come out of it. The findings here on the west coast are negligible, certainly not enough to stop me from eating the seafoods or using seaweeds in the garden.

You can read about radiation monitoring results here:
Radiation from Fukushima nuclear disaster not found in B.C. salmon - The Globe and Mail

If I was going to be concerned about radiation in the ocean then I'd be more focused on the rain that falls on the land, because the rain comes from the ocean and we don't have any say in the matter on where the rain falls. It falls on everything.

Re: the health of the oceans and the marine life, my biggest concern is about the acidification of the oceans. Ocean acidification is a very serious problem that impacts all life on earth, not just the oceans and marine life: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_acidification

I do also have concerns about mankind's pollution of fresh water sources on land - lakes, rivers, underground water sources.

Quote:

.... < snip > ...... re you giving plants daily intimate 'pep-talks', you sound just like me. Two neighbors said "Why do you always talk to your plants, like they understood ?" - my answer "Plants are Alive, same as animals & us humans. They possess a native intelligence, that constantly communicates..., & when we choose paying attention, we can lean from them what they really need to thrive... "

..... < snip > ......
Just tell them you're experimenting with plants bioacoustics and sonication techniques: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_bioacoustics

Last edited by Zoisite; 01-08-2017 at 02:06 PM..

Old 01-15-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I don't worry too much about that.
I keep in touch with the regular monitoring of radiation in the Pacific and the fish that come out of it.
The findings here on the west coast are negligible, certainly not enough to stop me from eating the seafoods or using seaweeds in the garden.
Radiation from Fukushima nuclear disaster not found in B.C. salmon - The Globe and Mail
so I read that article you quoted, & at the bottom it says "Dr. Cullen said the level of contamination in the Pacific off the West Coast continues to rise, but that was anticipated.“Given the time that it takes for the ocean currents to bring that contamination as it spreads across the North Pacific
this is when the models predict those levels should be peaking,” he said. “The heart of that contamination is just arriving offshore.”

so we no longer eat Pacific-fish. Elsewhere we get fish.

Then too for medical 'tests', people are bamboozled with dangerously-high levels of radiation; &
even higher levels for 'treatments' . - Another two means we refuse. One doc tried for 4 minutes
with every threat in his toolkit, to get me to agree to CAT-scans, fully Aware there is NO safe radiation level.
Repeatedly asking him "What about no !! don't you understand ?" - his final statement was
"so what if you die of cancer from this one CAT-scan, so what !!" the unmitigated gall of that 'profession'.

So since there is NO safe radiation level, & we are already subjected to environmental radiation-levels, WHY even more ?? makes no sense.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:31 AM

81 posts, read 41,265 times
Short answer: I use various organic mulches that others have described. Leaves are my favorite.

Speaking of leaves, it always blows my mind when I see neighbors mowing and raking up the leaves off their lawns. Oh no! Wouldn't want those leaves to decompose and nourish your grass, now!

Old 01-19-2017, 02:55 PM
bg7

6,574 posts, read 6,008,368 times
Quote:
so I read that article you quoted, & at the bottom it says "Dr. Cullen said the level of contamination in the Pacific off the West Coast continues to rise, but that was anticipated.“Given the time that it takes for the ocean currents to bring that contamination as it spreads across the North Pacific
this is when the models predict those levels should be peaking,” he said. “The heart of that contamination is just arriving offshore.”

so we no longer eat Pacific-fish. Elsewhere we get fish.

Then too for medical 'tests', people are bamboozled with dangerously-high levels of radiation; &
even higher levels for 'treatments' . - Another two means we refuse. One doc tried for 4 minutes
with every threat in his toolkit, to get me to agree to CAT-scans, fully Aware there is NO safe radiation level.
Repeatedly asking him "What about no !! don't you understand ?" - his final statement was
"so what if you die of cancer from this one CAT-scan, so what !!" the unmitigated gall of that 'profession'.

So since there is NO safe radiation level, & we are already subjected to environmental radiation-levels, WHY even more ?? makes no sense.

I guess you hide indoors when its daylight then also, since there "Is no safe level of radiation" and you try to avoid it. Then there's those radiowaves travelling through the air. Certainly it doesn't make sense to have a CAT scan which could show a treatable tumor, better to just wing it and avoid the preposterously small chance of getting cancer from a single x-ray. Watch out for purple colors.

Here are other types of radiation so you know to avoid them too:

Old 01-20-2017, 09:38 AM

5,348 posts, read 3,754,280 times
I have a somewhat aquaponic garden .
A fish tank below I cycle the water from to the garden and it drains back to the fish tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden