U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 08:08 AM

2,495 posts, read 708,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Any herbicide with 2-4D will do it (like Weed-B-Gon) as wild garlic is a broadleaf weed. Unless your grass is dormant (like Bermudagrass in the Winter), a product like Round-up will kill surrounding plants (note the George and harry exceptions).

Or, you could eat it.

I did spray with a 2-4D product but I doubt it will do any good.

The wild onion resembles a clump of grass and thus 2-4D only works on broad leaf weeds.

I like the examples of using a rag with RoundUP.

since the rest of my lawn is brown and winter dormant, perhaps getting RoundUp on a little of the grass wouldn't kill it as RoundUp only works on actively growing grasses/weeds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 10:49 AM

2,394 posts, read 656,686 times
Dig them up and send them to me. I would LOVE to have wild onion or garlic/ramps or any other edible wild herb/vegetable growing on my property. I did have a few and I nurtured/protected them hoping to ensure they spread but no such luck unfortunately. Delicious, nutritious and free - and if you don't spray anything in your yard, a wonderful addition to your dinner table when in season.

Round Up might work but I hope you won't use it. If you feel you must get rid of them, why not try a more natural method - maybe boiling water or vinegar would do the trick.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:33 PM

4,073 posts, read 7,314,267 times
As I said, wild onion is a broadleaf weed (think of each stalk as a leaf and it makes sense).

"Wild onion and garlic are cool-season perennial broadleaf weeds and members of the Lily family."

Black Medic | Broadleaf Weeds | Weeds | Problem Solver | Turf Info | Kansas State University Research and Extension

"Three-way broadleaf herbicides containing 2,4-D, dicamba and mecoprop (MCPP) will provide control of wild garlic and wild onion with repeat applications."

HGIC 2311 Wild Garlic & Wild Onion : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina

Old 01-07-2017, 07:44 PM

11,270 posts, read 25,044,255 times
Ugh! I have those things in my yard too! They're usually not a problem until early spring, and then they're everywhere before the grass greens up. I remember mowing the grass as a kid with tears in my eyes, but they don't seem to affect me as badly now.

Wild onion and Spiderwort, those are two things I've just accepted are never going anywhere.

Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM

3,280 posts, read 4,333,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I did spray with a 2-4D product but I doubt it will do any good.

The wild onion resembles a clump of grass and thus 2-4D only works on broad leaf weeds.

I like the examples of using a rag with RoundUP.

since the rest of my lawn is brown and winter dormant, perhaps getting RoundUp on a little of the grass wouldn't kill it as RoundUp only works on actively growing grasses/weeds

Wondering what your outcome was with the onions??

These are the new #1 thorn in my side. It was dandelion and cats tongue, but now that I have a good hold on those, this is my #1 enemy. I have way to many clumps to try and dig them out. It would make my yard look horrible with a million divets all over. I'm willing to take the time to go out there and cut them and try to brush them with something to kill just them, but want to know what works before I take on this huge task on my 3/4 acre lot.

Has anyone tried any odd things to get rid of them, something that works, but not many people try??

I wonder if boiling water would work??? Singe the tips??? I would love to get a hold on these, as they just seem to spread with each passing year.

Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Wondering what your outcome was with the onions??

These are the new #1 thorn in my side. It was dandelion and cats tongue, but now that I have a good hold on those, this is my #1 enemy. I have way to many clumps to try and dig them out. It would make my yard look horrible with a million divets all over. I'm willing to take the time to go out there and cut them and try to brush them with something to kill just them, but want to know what works before I take on this huge task on my 3/4 acre lot.

Has anyone tried any odd things to get rid of them, something that works, but not many people try??

I wonder if boiling water would work??? Singe the tips??? I would love to get a hold on these, as they just seem to spread with each passing year.
I am the OP.

I sprayed with a broadleaf spray and it did NOTHING.

This retired farmer has done a lot of herbicide spraying in my lifetime and I was quite sure a broadleaf herbicide would not work as looking at the onion is resembles clump GRASS which requires a grass herbicide.

I mixed concentrated RoundUp in a 3 pound coffee can and wrapped an old cloth around a stick.
With the cloth soaking wet, I dabbed the wild onions.

it worked !

Since my lawn was dormant, I actually think I could have used a sprayer and sprayed RoundUp on the onions because RoundUp will only kill active growing plants.

I doubt it will effect dormant grass

Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I am the OP.

I sprayed with a broadleaf spray and it did NOTHING.

This retired farmer has done a lot of herbicide spraying in my lifetime and I was quite sure a broadleaf herbicide would not work as looking at the onion is resembles clump GRASS which requires a grass herbicide.

I mixed concentrated RoundUp in a 3 pound coffee can and wrapped an old cloth around a stick.
With the cloth soaking wet, I dabbed the wild onions.

it worked !

Since my lawn was dormant, I actually think I could have used a sprayer and sprayed RoundUp on the onions because RoundUp will only kill active growing plants.

I doubt it will effect dormant grass
Thanks for the info David. How concentrated would you say the RU was, and which one did you use? I have some of the powdered RU Quick Pro that I have used to spray the poison ivy that was running rampant all along the edges of my yard and after a few years, I have very little to deal with. I was thinking about using that with a sponge brush. I don't want to spray since I have centipede and it's still dormant, and not the healthiest due to the other weeds among the grass.

I have a LOT of wild onions, mostly in my front yard, but definitely have them elsewhere as well. I think I will try to tackle some areas this weekend.

Did you bruise, or cut them before applying the RU? Have you ever tried Image's Nuts Edge Killer, says it will kill wild onions and garlic as well.

How long did it take until you saw some results? I've read some people have injected some herbicide in to the ground aroun where they removed a clump. Was thinking that may not be a back idea....a turkey injector may help to do it. I may try a varied array of ideas and see if any work better than the other.

Thanks again for your help!

Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Thanks for the info David. How concentrated would you say the RU was, and which one did you use? I have some of the powdered RU Quick Pro that I have used to spray the poison ivy that was running rampant all along the edges of my yard and after a few years, I have very little to deal with. I was thinking about using that with a sponge brush. I don't want to spray since I have centipede and it's still dormant, and not the healthiest due to the other weeds among the grass.

I have a LOT of wild onions, mostly in my front yard, but definitely have them elsewhere as well. I think I will try to tackle some areas this weekend.

Did you bruise, or cut them before applying the RU? Have you ever tried Image's Nuts Edge Killer, says it will kill wild onions and garlic as well.

How long did it take until you saw some results? I've read some people have injected some herbicide in to the ground aroun where they removed a clump. Was thinking that may not be a back idea....a turkey injector may help to do it. I may try a varied array of ideas and see if any work better than the other.

Thanks again for your help!

I didn't cut them before I treated as I wanted the wild onion blades to "suck up" the RoundUP.

The doseage , I don't remember as I just followed the mixing directions and mixed 2 gallons at a time in a pail............stirred with a stick........then transferred to 3 pound coffee can to dip into.

I should have just left it in pail as 2 gallon isn't that heavy to carry around.

I really started to notice it taking effect in a week.

Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM

4,771 posts, read 4,748,049 times
Dicamba and 2,4-D are regularly used to control wild onion/garlic in pastures. While the leaf is narrow and slender, it is NOT a grass. It's genus is allium and it is technically in the lily family. The difficulty with controlling wild onion is that it has little bulbs that it produces that live underground, and these act as a reservoir of food for the leaves. It is a little tricky knowing when to spray since the onion needs to be just starting to actively grow to get the best results. If you are a farmer you will use these herbicides in pastures or even big lawns, because it is efficient and farmers/landscapers know the best timing.

BUT, as a homeowner with a small amount that needs to be controlled and especially if the wild onion grows around non-grass ornamental plants that dicamba would damage, the OP did the very best thing. Congratulations!

Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM

Thanks David!

And for those who don't want to kill them, but eat them:

The 3 Foragers: Foraging for Wild, Natural, Organic Food: Can I Eat Those Onions in My Yard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden