Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 03:32 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times

Advertisements

What I've found is that a variety that produces well and tastes great in some areas is just so-so in others. The other factor is that some folks think that the sweeter the tomato, the better, while others - like me - think that if we want a strawberry, we'll eat one, good tomatoes are full of tangy, savory flavors.

It's part of the fun in growing tomatoes. Pick the one(s) you liked best last year, and then add in a couple you've never tried before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 04:57 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
...some folks think that the sweeter the tomato, the better...
That would be me. If I want something sour, I'll eat a pickle.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:12 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
My husband ordered a bunch of tomato seeds from Mr. Tomato Head. I reminded him that our ONE "Sweet 100" plant yielded over 500 cherry tomatoes last year! I can't imagine what he is envisioning nor who will eat all those tomatoes. I discovered last year, during our very hot and dry summer, that tomatoes have to be watered A LOT. All those tomatoes, plus my regular gardening obsessions, should keep me busy watering next summer.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
The seed catalogs started coming in. It's like crack for gardeners!
Exactly!

Old 01-21-2017, 03:31 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Mid Winter and I'm getting ready... Just making a list to see if I need to get anything new.

My list.. Need to pick up a few things. Any seeds older than 2010 I threw away

If I'm gonna do pickling this year I need to pick up a few more varieties of Cukes. Could use a few more different Tomatoes too. Hot Peppers I'm good.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:45 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
Cambium, know you are in different climate than me. My tomatoes for this spring are just coming in, and they are sweet! I bought Johnny Seeds Grape tomatoes. After researching, found out these are the sweetest of all tomatoes, so had to give them a try.
They live up to sugar---wow. I can't even pick enough to get them into a salad, I'm eating them right off the vine.
(4 plants)

Five Star Grape (F1) Tomato Seed

Old 01-22-2017, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Cambium, know you are in different climate than me. My tomatoes for this spring are just coming in, and they are sweet! I bought Johnny Seeds Grape tomatoes. After researching, found out these are the sweetest of all tomatoes, so had to give them a try.
They live up to sugar---wow. I can't even pick enough to get them into a salad, I'm eating them right off the vine.
(4 plants)

Five Star Grape (F1) Tomato Seed

Very cool. They look like little Romas. I figured you guys had crops growing or starting down there especially this winter. You guys haven't had a break. Gees.

I'm a big weather nut (always posting in the seasonal threads on the weather forum and also in the CT weather thread) and I been following the Southeast and it's been relentless. How the heck do you guys deal with that. 50s is warm here and my limit in winter. I hate it when it's above 70 and humid. I don't do well.

I do gardening to keep me sane during summer otherwise I'd hide in a closet inside till Fall with nothing to do.. lol

Pattern looks to be changing end of this week so keep those plants warm. Max Temps 60s & 70s for Florida. Lows in the 40s/50s. Starts Friday. We'll see how long the cooler pattern lasts for the East.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:04 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
Cambium, my wife deals with this weather a lot better than I do. I'm originally from northern state (VA) and miss the winter season.
Yes, Global warming is surely here. Every single winter for the last 7 or so years, it has been shorter on 'cool' nights (wife will say cold, I say cool) and about 5 years ago the Dept. of Ag. changed our growing zone from 9b to 10a. I expect to be on board zone-wise with Miami within a year or so.
No winter at all to speak of this year.
Last year, I threw out the one space heater we had...

Old 01-22-2017, 07:55 AM

My husband keeps saying, "We have to sit down and figure out what we're growing!". LOL I suspect if I don't do that soon, he will just do it without me. Visions of tomatoes are keeping him (and me) happy. Meanwhile, he is harvesting radishes from his under-the-lights garden in the basement. We just discovered radish greens as a wonderful sauteed green to put over pasta. Mmmm. OK, it's just some radishes, but it is nice to harvest something in the winter. He's also got tons of hot peppers and we have a nice basil plant and other herbs starting to look good. Me, I'm happy my rose geranium decided to bloom. Flowers in winter. Sigh.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Cambium, my wife deals with this weather a lot better than I do. I'm originally from northern state (VA) and miss the winter season.
Yes, Global warming is surely here. Every single winter for the last 7 or so years, it has been shorter on 'cool' nights (wife will say cold, I say cool) and about 5 years ago the Dept. of Ag. changed our growing zone from 9b to 10a. I expect to be on board zone-wise with Miami within a year or so.
No winter at all to speak of this year.
Last year, I threw out the one space heater we had...
We have been getting colder and snowier here past 15 yrs.. Sorry but when talking about "local" areas i prefer not to get into the agenda pushed debate about a natural cycle thats always been happening. Also NASA said global temps have been cooling because of Volcanoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden