U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 03:19 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,866,179 times

Advertisements

"well I had one plant of them last year and I got 11 tomatoes" Darn hornworms....when they start showing up, I take scissors to 'em, cut 'em in half.

It may be a tad early, but I just finished starting 40 Mortgage Lifter, 40 Hillbilly, 40 1884 purple, 40 Blondkopfchen, 40 Riesentraube, 40 Italian Heirloom, plus Pimento peppers, Thai Bird pepper, Corno de Toro, Orange bell, Yellow Monster, Sweet Pickle, Red Belgian, Thai Hot...from seed....gotta love mrtomatohead for tomato seed.

I went to a local greenhouse grower, bartered my labor, my seeds for his expertise, planting medium and greenhouse space, and ended up with 8 flats, and more to plant in a couple of weeks. Hope it all works out.

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 08:37 PM

2,290 posts, read 889,968 times
I got lucky last year. Parasitic wasps killed every hornworm that came along. I even posted photos on this forum of the worms covered in the wasp eggs. And dead as doornails, of course.

And I do love mr.tomatohead. Wonderful varieties and great service.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:40 AM

50,666 posts, read 33,552,738 times
Almost time.... Pepper seeds in couple weeks.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:44 AM

668 posts, read 1,640,285 times
Ive decided on letting the Green house that I usually get plants at, grow all my tomatoes now. They only charge 25 bucks a bushel, and we get about 6 bushels to 'can' for the Winter months.

EVery time we plant them, we never get a good haul, and its just not worth the effort anymore.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 02-06-2017, 06:24 AM

61,310 posts, read 65,961,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
Ive decided on letting the Green house that I usually get plants at, grow all my tomatoes now. They only charge 25 bucks a bushel, and we get about 6 bushels to 'can' for the Winter months.

EVery time we plant them, we never get a good haul, and its just not worth the effort anymore.

I wish you well...

Jesse
wow you are lucky. The best deal we ever get are romas at the local Mexican market; If we are lucky we get them for about .79 lb. I can't grow enough for all our canning so have to depend on them for most of our salsa.

As for starting our seeds, daughter, granddaughter and I will set aside Feb 17th for our start date. We have fun getting together and getting things underway. the plants will go into the ground as soon as we get home from our early April cruise.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:53 AM

281 posts, read 97,467 times
last year the largest and most productive plants were called "big beef", will plant them again this year, I found the heirloom type tomato plants do not yield many tomatoes.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:32 AM

6,053 posts, read 8,813,739 times
Been there, done that......Blast from the past: When I was a kid, we had 15 acres of tomatoes. After the planting, cultivating, and picking the bugs off, there was the reward: Harvesting and sorting the tomatoes, filling baskets, hauling them to the cannery in an old pick up truck, standing in line to have them checked in and weighed, and standing in another line for a pay check. Then, repeat the process. They were "itchy and tiresome" summers

Now, I live very close to a local farmers market, and also very near Amish farms selling their veggies at the end of their lanes. I select the best and freshest tomatoes in the world from those places. A quart of tomatoes in mid season runs between $1 and $1.25. The enjoyable small talk with locals is a big plus, also!

Not bashing all who enjoy home grown produce; I did it. But 5 years ago I found a better way.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
last year the largest and most productive plants were called "big beef", will plant them again this year, I found the heirloom type tomato plants do not yield many tomatoes.
love the heirloom but I think you are right: they just don't seem to give as much fruit. They are more fun than anything else. We do plant a variety of tomatoes.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Been there, done that......Blast from the past: When I was a kid, we had 15 acres of tomatoes. After the planting, cultivating, and picking the bugs off, there was the reward: Harvesting and sorting the tomatoes, filling baskets, hauling them to the cannery in an old pick up truck, standing in line to have them checked in and weighed, and standing in another line for a pay check. Then, repeat the process. They were "itchy and tiresome" summers

Now, I live very close to a local farmers market, and also very near Amish farms selling their veggies at the end of their lanes. I select the best and freshest tomatoes in the world from those places. A quart of tomatoes in mid season runs between $1 and $1.25. The enjoyable small talk with locals is a big plus, also!

Not bashing all who enjoy home grown produce; I did it. But 5 years ago I found a better way.
wish we were that lucky? But we do have a farm that is about a 35 minute drive. He has great fresh produce and we go there for some of what we like to can. It is still fun just to grow some of your own produce, not 15 acres worth though. Oh, I should not say, we have a farm not far away, because we have zillions of farms not far away, but most do not sell in bulk. They choose to use the farmers market because they can make more mony by selling in small quantities.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:25 AM

6,053 posts, read 8,813,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wish we were that lucky? But we do have a farm that is about a 35 minute drive. He has great fresh produce and we go there for some of what we like to can. It is still fun just to grow some of your own produce, not 15 acres worth though. Oh, I should not say, we have a farm not far away, because we have zillions of farms not far away, but most do not sell in bulk. They choose to use the farmers market because they can make more mony by selling in small quantities.
I understand. Having to drive any distance for fresh produce is usually counter-productive. I enjoyed having a few tomato plants for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden