U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 05:08 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,985,742 times

Advertisements

"I found the heirloom type tomato plants do not yield many tomatoes." that was echoed by the commercial greenhouse grower (40 years in business) who is starting my seeds...he will not raise heirloom tomatoes for that reason. Most of what I've started early are heirloom, and each one came with the claim that they are "heavy yielding", "good producer" "bears 'till fall"....we'll see.
Old standby's like Arkansas Traveler are going to be started next week.

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 02:54 AM

136 posts, read 177,009 times
I'm growing mostly heirlooms this year, I like being able to save the seeds. Here is my list as it stands, I don't know if I have room for them all.

Orange Russian 117
Lithium Sunset
Chocolate Stripes
Girl Girl’s Weird Thing
Pit Viper
Idaho Hillbilly
Cherokee Purple
Pink Bumblebee
Indigo Cherry Drops
Pearly Pink Orange
Green Zebra (maybe)
Pineapple (maybe)
Juliet (F2) (Juliet is a hybrid but I've heard the seeds should grow pretty close to true)

I have started seeds for the dwarf plants (Pearly Pink Orange and Pit Viper) as well as my pepper plants, and will start the rest in a few weeks.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:17 AM

419 posts, read 151,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Been there, done that......Blast from the past: When I was a kid, we had 15 acres of tomatoes. After the planting, cultivating, and picking the bugs off, there was the reward: Harvesting and sorting the tomatoes, filling baskets, hauling them to the cannery in an old pick up truck, standing in line to have them checked in and weighed, and standing in another line for a pay check. Then, repeat the process. They were "itchy and tiresome" summers

Now, I live very close to a local farmers market, and also very near Amish farms selling their veggies at the end of their lanes. I select the best and freshest tomatoes in the world from those places. A quart of tomatoes in mid season runs between $1 and $1.25. The enjoyable small talk with locals is a big plus, also!

Not bashing all who enjoy home grown produce; I did it. But 5 years ago I found a better way.
I do it as a hobby, I know it would be easier to just buy but I have the space and I enjoy growing tomatoes, and peppers, also enjoy sharing with anyone that I know that likes them.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:12 AM

2,070 posts, read 968,574 times
I do hope you heirloom growers do check back in late summer, and let us know the yields. I've heard the same thing about small crops. If you have success, I may try a few of your standby's this fall. I'm especially interested in the Cherokee types.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:23 PM

62,367 posts, read 68,379,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
I do it as a hobby, I know it would be easier to just buy but I have the space and I enjoy growing tomatoes, and peppers, also enjoy sharing with anyone that I know that likes them.
Some years it has costs twice as much as just buying produce, but regardless, like you, it is a hobby and it is great therapy. I will continue my garden as long as my body will allow me to. Some years it has done so well I have saved money, especially basil, parsley, tomatoes and squash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden