Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 08:12 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times

Advertisements

I'm going to do only 3 plants this year . and a swiss chard . 3 tomatoe plants all will be good large size tomatoes and 2 will be beefsteak and a third one will be an heirloom not sure which one yet .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 12:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
With our shorter growing season, the largest we can grow is Early Girl or the equivalent size. My favorite last year wasPaul Robeson, a black 3" variety that kept on producing though September. Very few seeds, and no voids, great slicer for sandwiches. Other than that, for salads we had several Sungold plants and they produced so many that we had to give away quarts full.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:59 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times
I'm cutting back this year. Last year was 40+ plants, but it was so dry many didn't produce and ended up dying on me. This year I'm bound and determined to keep it at half that.

I plant that many so I can share with friends, but as I get older, it's getting way too much to take care of that (and many other) vegetable plants. I can tone it down and still have enough to share. Only want to do 2-3 cherry tomatoes, one I will definitely plant again was the Chocolate Sprinkles. Still rethinking the dwarfs I tried to grow, definitely no cages if I do, that was a PITA!

The seed catalogs started coming in. It's like crack for gardeners!

Old 01-06-2017, 05:18 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
I'm planning on ten pots this year (up from seven last year). I'd like 5 reds and 5 orange/yellows.

Red tomatoes:

Jet Star
Early Girl
Possibly Celebrity

Yellow or Orange Tomatoes:

Jubilee
Chef's Choice
Possibly Tangerine
Possibly Golden Boy

I love the black tomatoes, but other than Black Cherry I've never gotten good yields from them; either the plant is stingy in production, or the fruit cracks just as it ripens and insects damage it before I can pick it. But if I can get Paul Robeson I'd like to try it!

Old 01-06-2017, 05:26 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
With our shorter growing season, the largest we can grow is Early Girl or the equivalent size. My favorite last year wasPaul Robeson, a black 3" variety that kept on producing though September. Very few seeds, and no voids, great slicer for sandwiches. Other than that, for salads we had several Sungold plants and they produced so many that we had to give away quarts full.

Haven't tried Paul Robeson, but here in Seattle, I get the best results from Black Cherry. Which is great, because it tastes the way I think a tomato ought to taste - just as tangy as it is sweet.

I'm going to try it under plastic this year, to see if I can get fruits before Aug 15!

Old 01-06-2017, 07:45 PM

311 posts, read 467,341 times
Not sure what I'm going to plant I haven't had a decent garden in 3 years. The weather in TN hasn't been very good for gardening in the last few years. My parsley is the only thing that seems to do well.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:00 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
I'm going to plant lots of tomatoes this year. But I do not want to get too carry away. Some years, I have 100 plants, sprouted from seeds.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:25 AM

678 posts, read 438,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I'm cutting back this year. Last year was 40+ plants, but it was so dry
many didn't produce and ended up dying on me. This year I'm bound and determined to keep it at half that.

The seed catalogs started coming in. It's like crack for gardeners!
Eldemila, at 40+ plants you had no garden, but ran a commercial production?
oh boy!
Alternately we grew cherry & currant kinds: Sweetie, supersweet100, sweetMillion, sunSugar, yellowPear, & especially 'Indigo rose'.
now tempted to also try ("sugarGloss" a currant tomato ready in50 days; but hesitant to say that to
candida albicans sufferers due to its huge! 12° Brix/sugar rating.) Plus grow 2 yummy ever ready early & to frost standby's: Legend, & Stupice. And
a friend recently also suggested "Long Keeper", adding it keeps for months, & sometimes starts to sprout from the inside, lol

Old 01-10-2017, 01:30 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Nope. Not me. I have given up on trying to grow them here in coastal GA. Every year for 6 years, I have failed to get more than one or two pitiful tomatoes. Not this year.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:26 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
My sister planted a variety of grape tomato that produced hundreds of tomatoes. I mean, that plant looked like a Christmas tree with all of the tomatoes it produced. I'm definitely planting one of those in my back yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden