U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2017, 05:24 AM

325 posts, read 67,593 times

Advertisements

Surely you agree God's plant world is undeniably fascinating... continually I gain so much that is useful
& helpful be that thankfully appreciating its Beauty, & Diversity, & much Nutrition, & Bounty, etc.

May we share this discussion about the plethora of awareness you too are learning...
=
Let me start. Here currently is a thread re various Tomato kinds to grow: One of the reasons for decades we grew mostly the less than 1 inch Cherry-kinds, came from this awareness "All cherry tomatoes are descendents of the wild tomato, whose origins can be traced to coastal South America. The genetic makeup of cherry tomatoes (unlike larger common tomatoes) has remained almost unchanged. Variations in color+shape are natural occurring mutations, and often survival traits of plants. Black cherry tomatoes evolved from the original red cherries as an heirloom. -
Black tomatoes are thought to be native to the Crimean Peninsula in Southern Ukraine. The coloring of Black cherry tomatoes develops from a mixture of green and red pigments. As the fruits mature, they accumulate the red carotenoid pigment, lycopene, however they also retain some of the green pigment, chlorophyll. The green pigmentation combined with the crimson-colored interior of the ripened fruit results in their uniquely dark exterior coloration. - so alternately we grew all cherry kinds: sunSugar, Sweetie, supersweet 100, & even 'Indigo rose' because it's the darkest one ever bred at the U of Oregon. Tests showed Anthocyanins provided the color, same as in blueberries. So they crossed purple tomatoes with some wild ones & eventually came up with the black. - I avoided that in the Tomato-thread, as someone could assume it off-topic.

But in this discussion, go ahead & share... you never know who you might help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 08:31 AM

Thumbs up another helpful gardener

while researching further interesting topics, I found this OneYardRevolution guy, &
at the end of each of his short videos, like for example here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...3gp6ZsoM-BvdmM he always says "Remember, you can change the world one yard at a time" How kewl !
Fascinating... because growing year-round... one's own food enables us to eventually work less, grow more, stay Healthier, spend less, Learn more, & Enjoy More Fun... all clear winners!

What do you think ?

Old 01-07-2017, 09:41 AM

1,084 posts, read 478,805 times
very interesting post. I would be a bit (well, more than a bit, LOL) pedantic and say that I think black tomatoes are probably NOT "native" to the Crimean since tomatoes (of all colors and hues) like corn/maize, potatoes, and chocolate (yum!!!) are regarded as native "new world" plants. OTOH, I would certainly agree that those kind of tomatoes were likely first selected and developed there in the "old world" after their more "normal" colored parents were brought over from "the Americas".

Old 01-07-2017, 10:04 AM

Thanks for your comments, friend. Maybe it would be better to just say that Tomatoes have been around for a very long time. Which has given us plenty opportunity to breed & develop even more varieties, especially with (non-gmo) Nutritional empowerments on board. Agreed?

for anyone more interested in Tomato-science : http://frogsleapfarm.blogspot.com/20...-tomatoes.html

also helpful http://www.vegetablegardener.com/ite...about-tomatoes

Last edited by 2 rainbows; 01-07-2017 at 10:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden