U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 04:35 PM

4,183 posts, read 7,344,387 times

Advertisements

In my garage. I have 4 citrus plants and supplements the natural lights with CFL bulbs. It's so bright my wife warns me to expect a visit from the local PD. Hahaha.. 😆

How are you winterizing your plants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 11:19 AM

1,130 posts, read 505,534 times
FWIW, here in nominally zone 9 on the northern part (LOL) of the southern Oregon coast we have (hopefully) finished our "cold spell" with alternating periods over about a week of rain, hail, and snow with "extreme" lows in the mid-high 20's on at least 3 nights (pretty picayune compared to what many other folks are having to endure I'm sure).

some very small seedlings were placed in an un-heated greenhouse. just prior to and during the event, I moved certain outdoor potted plants that I considered rare and/or vulnerable to a more sheltered spot under the roof of an open shed (i.e. 3 walled) or under tree cover and certain plants already in the ground got covered with a blanket or large garbage bag (sometimes both) suspended on plastic stakes over them or if small enough a large garbage can placed on top of the plant. now have removed all protection on the in-ground stuff and so far all looks o.k. but sometimes if there is indeed damage you don't notice it until weeks or months have passed.

good luck to everyone with protecting your plants.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 01-08-2017 at 12:45 PM..

Old 01-09-2017, 08:23 AM

472 posts, read 107,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
FWIW, here in nominally zone 9 on the northern part of the southern Oregon coast we have (hopefully)
finished our "cold spell" with alternating periods over about a week of rain, hail, and snow with
"extreme" lows in the mid-high 20's on at least 3 nights (pretty picayune compared to what many other folks are having to endure I'm sure).
Here too many no less consecutive and persistent challenges, so too many plants died.

Quote:
some very small seedlings were placed in an un-heated greenhouse. just prior to and during the event, I moved certain outdoor potted plants that I considered rare and/or vulnerable to a more sheltered spot under the roof of an open shed (i.e. 3 walled) or under tree cover and certain plants already in the ground got covered with a blanket or large garbage bag (sometimes both) suspended on plastic stakes over them or if small enough a large garbage can placed on top of the plant.
now have removed all protection on the in-ground stuff and so far all looks o.k. but
sometimes if there is indeed damage you don't notice it until weeks or months have passed.
Here further north in 8A the Sun is shrouded too often, so it's normally chilly, & worse damp so Fungi are ever-present nuisances. Because of those 2 main challenges, a Greenhouse doesn't really make sense. And coldFrames: unfortunately the structure was way too small to hold ALL 100+ plants needing protection.
so
that left the shed (w/ holes in walls caused by too much relentless... rain & fierce winds recently), or
INside, or against south-side of house, or covered with straw, blankets, etc, but still too cold, for too many nights.

A couple feet of snow staying put for two months would have helped.

Quote:
good luck to everyone with protecting your plants.
Happy that your plants may come thru this winter mostly okay.

Unfortunately, situation in this neck o' the woods most likely is called Starting over...

Old 01-09-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 rainbows View Post
Here too many no less consecutive and persistent challenges, so too many plants died.

Here further north in 8A the Sun is shrouded too often, so it's normally chilly, & worse damp so Fungi are ever-present nuisances. Because of those 2 main challenges, a Greenhouse doesn't really make sense. And coldFrames: unfortunately the structure was way too small to hold ALL 100+ plants needing protection.
so
that left the shed (w/ holes in walls caused by too much relentless... rain & fierce winds recently), or
INside, or against south-side of house, or covered with straw, blankets, etc, but still too cold, for too many nights.

A couple feet of snow staying put for two months would have helped.

Happy that your plants may come thru this winter mostly okay.

Unfortunately, situation in this neck o' the woods most likely is called Starting over...

sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations with the nasty weather. it might help for my understanding at least if you could share where you are in at least general terms (you can PM me if you don' wish to go public with this but all I'd like to know is city and state if possible). trust me we are often very cool, cloudy, and damp in the winter and as mentioned "hard" frost and snow are a possibility even in "la la land" zone 9 and certainly we can and do pine for a better climate we don't have and plants we can't grow. believe me I wish I was just 50 miles further south or so in Gold Beach or Brookings where the date palms grow but that ain't happening so must endure and exploit what I have where I'm at.

FWIW, haven't had many problems so far with most of the stuff in the greenhouse (so far) as regards fungus but maybe I've got just enough natural ventilation there, or the right plants or maybe I've got an extra ration of DUMB luck. think I may have sustained some damage on some "uber" tropical fruit trees like an Inga I got from a San Diego nursery but last time I checked over a week ago the mango next to it was o.k.----will have to check what's happening right now, LOL. that said, one thing to consider in greenhouses at this time of year (heated or unheated) is care in watering---even many tropicals are used to a cool and DRY period in nature and if you water "normally" you may actually be laying the plant open to either root rot or stem and leaf fungus (especially if the plant starts to push "tender" new growth). SOMETIMES "benign neglect" can be a useful tool for the gardener at this time of year???

sadly, the motto for almost all gardeners almost everywhere at times when contemplating nature's harm and hurt to plants and gardeners and contemplating "starting over" is like that of Robert Bruce's spider in the old poem: "try, try again"!!!

OTOH, our losses can be lessons and sometimes this gives us the opportunity to rethink what we grow and how we grow it. my rule of thumb is that I'm not interested in growing plants useful or beautiful or both if they can't take our climate ---once established and given decent normal care---summer heat (or lack of same) and winter cold. the plants I protected in the ground were rare and young if they still need protection with normal winter cold after several more years they may not be suitable for my climate and conditions and sooner or later go to the big compost bin in the sky. win some (yay) loose some (sigh). that said, sometimes the potentially right plant in the potentially right climate seems to sulk because we may not have put the right plant in the right place (microclimate) so a little tweaking (movement) of plant to a possibly better place with more shade, more sun, deeper soil, better drainage, etc in the garden may divert the plant from tripping off to that great compost bin and instead make it a healthy and happy part of the garden---we can always hope.

best wishes with all your growing.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 01-09-2017 at 09:53 AM..

Old 01-09-2017, 09:51 AM

225 posts, read 73,062 times
Sorry, but 20 degrees sounds WARM.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny74 View Post
Sorry, but 20 degrees sounds WARM.

yes, and that's why I said my situation at least was probably "pretty picayune" to what other folks in other places with their plants are having to go through---like yourself apparently. sadly, there probably no place and no climate that doesn't have to deal with something harsh at some time or season---either heat, or cold, or drought, or flood---we all get something lousy at some point and sometimes we may also luck out compared to others (like I MIGHT be doing now compared to you) and sometimes in some way at some time I will be in a hard place while you are spared---it's the way the gardening thing goes and why gardeners are often rather like gamblers. in the meantime, I wish luck and good growing to both of us!!!!

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 01-09-2017 at 10:33 AM..

Old 01-09-2017, 03:40 PM

11,371 posts, read 25,441,132 times
It got down to 20F here too, I messed up and left my aloe plant outside, it's mush now. My sago palms can handle 20F, but if it gets down below about 17F they get burned and turn brown.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It got down to 20F here too, I messed up and left my aloe plant outside, it's mush now.
My sago palms can handle 20F, but if it gets down below about 17F they get burned and turn brown.
sorry you too lost plants, hopefully only a few, not that that makes it easier.
so
Here (sw wa around 1-5) one thing after another: 1 of the looongest summers, ended w/ abrupt temp dive.
Next rain (not the 25/8 rainy season usually), nope for 9+ days straight this was... can't describe it.
Then some night temps in teens, so all the left-over rains then froze right in place. Oh SUN,
how nice.
You think? <- lasted all of 4 hrs. enuf to melt the few snowflakes. OVERcast=the norm again. God, please shut off that faucet already... Nope, rained more. Topping that, last week freeze...again, for the umpteenth time, only this time 11F, next night 9F, & 3rd nite 10F. Whatever managed to survive those, then WIND-storm (w/ a chill-factor of ungodly degrees) that lasted 2 DAYS for real wiped out what was left. -- And mind you, usually it's the end of January when REAL winter barrels thru , but since most plants are now quite dead, we can just pray the ROOF will hold.
oh,
re which plants lost? - how about $100's of Award-winners from last 4 years, all in heaven now, eternally comfy. And LIFE goes on...

Old 01-09-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 rainbows View Post
sorry you too lost plants, hopefully only a few, not that that makes it easier.
so
Here (sw wa around 1-5) one thing after another: 1 of the looongest summers, ended w/ abrupt temp dive.
Next rain (not the 25/8 rainy season usually), nope for 9+ days straight this was... can't describe it.
Then some night temps in teens, so all the left-over rains then froze right in place. Oh SUN,
how nice.
You think? <- lasted all of 4 hrs. enuf to melt the few snowflakes. OVERcast=the norm again. God, please shut off that faucet already... Nope, rained more. Topping that, last week freeze...again, for the umpteenth time, only this time 11F, next night 9F, & 3rd nite 10F. Whatever managed to survive those, then WIND-storm (w/ a chill-factor of ungodly degrees) that lasted 2 DAYS for real wiped out what was left. -- And mind you, usually it's the end of January when REAL winter barrels thru , but since most plants are now quite dead, we can just pray the ROOF will hold.
oh,
re which plants lost? - how about $100's of Award-winners from last 4 years, all in heaven now, eternally comfy. And LIFE goes on...

sorry about your losses. are you in the "colder" parts of western Washington (like Centralia/Chehalis listed as SUNSET western garden book zone 4) or the milder parts near SeaTac (sunset 5) or the Toledo/Longview/Vancouver area (sunset 6)---think all of which are nominally USDA 8? what kind of award winners are we referring to? orchids, citrus, cacti, and rather "tender" stuff of that nature or Serbian spruce and Norway maple---or something rather in-between rare evergreen magnolias from China, evergreen oaks from Mexico or other weird and wonderful plants?

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 01-09-2017 at 06:31 PM..

Old 01-09-2017, 06:51 PM

New here, so don't know how to PM anybody, but please understand that it is okay not to disclose more info
than stated already re sw wa usda zn. 8A. Honestly that should be enough, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden