U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 07:30 AM

57 posts, read 39,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I got two quotes, here in Northern California, for removal of my two Bradfords. One was for $1300, including stump grinding, plus $300 to plant one small replacement tree of a species I've never heard of and have now forgotten but is considered invasive by our HOA. The second quote was $1000 for removal and grinding, plus our local city will provide a voucher for one approved replacement tree which will be $50 to plant. Both of these quotes came from licensed arborists. So it pays to shop around. Yes, I've checked references and the second company has stellar ones, while the first, more expensive one, has a lot of negative ones. Guess who's getting the job?!

Thanks for sharing your experience, gentlearts. I learn so much from this board.
And thank YOU for demonstrating the value of shopping around!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 07:45 AM

27,397 posts, read 34,335,794 times
So we have determined the hedge is the dreaded red tip, and nobody sells it here. We compared ligustrum and viburnum, and bought viburnum odoratissum to continue down the fence line and around the corner. Also some azaleas. We will get a dogwood for the corner and call it done for now.
Truck load of fill dirt is due today, so we hope to alleviate some drainage issues, and plant some grass seed.

Oh, bg7, you'll be glad to know we're thinking of plants to encourage the birds, bees and critters to feel at home.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:39 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,345,167 times
I owned a house that had about 6 Bradford Pears lining the backyard fence. Two of them split in the 3 years I lived there, and they weren't even big. I don't know why anyone would keep a Bradford Pear near a house, fence, or anything else of value.

My current house has a bunch of oak trees that are 20+ years old. I had an arborist come out one day to look at a Water Oak that was about 10 feet from my house and towering over it. He said it was the strongest tree in the yard and to leave it alone. I took down the only Bradford Pear I had at this house.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:27 AM

27,397 posts, read 34,335,794 times
I think people just didnt realize what trouble they cause 25 years ago.

We are left with one lovely oak tree in the yard now. I dont know what kind it is, but it has small leaves and teeny acorns. It is seemingly healthy and a nice distance between the house and the fence. We intend to plant a dogwood in the back corner and that should be perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden