U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:21 PM

5,826 posts, read 8,212,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Epsom salts are 'manganese sulfate' and yes they do help with plant growth, strength and production.
I second this. Most larger containers of epsom salt have the directions for feeding to plants, roses, shrubs, trees - whatever. The rule I use is 1 teaspoon of epsom salt per gallon of water. Shake thoroughly and water with this once a month. It doesn't matter where you are or what time of year it is. It is not a salt, but a mineral and plants will always do better with it than without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 04:30 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,392,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Exactly, Sam I Am.

Can't imagine why the Pride of Mobile azaleas aren't doing anything to speak of -- they aren't around, or under, oaks, are they? I have seen azaleas do poorly in a setting like that. Do they get enough sunshine? Equally as important is not too much sun.

Maybe someone else can help with that one.
Uh oh. Let me guess...tannic acid? Mine are under oaks as well, but they aren't Pride of Mobile.

I NEVER THOUGHT about tannic acid...okay, now what to do??? Even though those aren't "my" azalea bushes, they will always be mine, especially since I will live next door to them for the rest of my natural life. Crazy story about those - I had breast cancer and had double mastectomies and chemotherapy. Spring hit right as I was finally feeling better and I ordered in all that stuff with every intention of having some nice college boys put them in. My husband went on a 2 day business trip and he came back and I'd re-done the whole front yard by myself, I was so proud! 105 LARGE bags of soil, compost, all the bushes, a Japanese maple, and some other stuff I couldn't identify if I had to...kind of my tribute to life...and ain't that just like me, I did it wrong!

Old 03-04-2008, 09:13 AM

4,597 posts, read 9,943,839 times
What to do? Well, Sam I Am, at the risk of giving yourself a stroke or something, I hate to say it, but I think if you ever want to see them do much of anything, you will need to move them.

Maybe prepare a nice large bed somewhere else in the yard? I liked them going down a drive at one of my homes. I raised the bed a little, and mixed-in irises, and daffodils, as a border.

I'd do the bed, little by little, and move the shrubs little by little. How well I remember the day when I could do exactly what you described! I used to be able to work like a horse for days running, from sun up, until 11:00 at night, with the lights on, shining across the area, if I had good lights. I'd shower, fall into bed, get up and go at it again. Could do this for a week, the end of which I'd need a day to recover. Now, I may be able to pull that stunt for a day, and it takes me a week to recover.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:44 AM

1,898 posts, read 4,242,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
What to do? Well, Sam I Am, at the risk of giving yourself a stroke or something, I hate to say it, but I think if you ever want to see them do much of anything, you will need to move them.

Maybe prepare a nice large bed somewhere else in the yard? I liked them going down a drive at one of my homes. I raised the bed a little, and mixed-in irises, and daffodils, as a border.

I'd do the bed, little by little, and move the shrubs little by little. How well I remember the day when I could do exactly what you described! I used to be able to work like a horse for days running, from sun up, until 11:00 at night, with the lights on, shining across the area, if I had good lights. I'd shower, fall into bed, get up and go at it again. Could do this for a week, the end of which I'd need a day to recover. Now, I may be able to pull that stunt for a day, and it takes me a week to recover.
And I thought I was the only one crazy enough to garden by spotlight!!!!

Old 03-07-2008, 09:22 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,392,128 times
Thank you all for the info....I will have to wait for spring fever to hit before even considering such a massive undertaking. Sitting here in the snow, all I really want to do is take a nap.

Is horse poopy good for azaleas? I bought a truck load. I am not sure why, but I did. I have to do something with it, someone please tell me this is just what they need!

Old Today, 01:07 PM

81 posts, read 27,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Help. Just plain help. Raised in the South and quite lost.

We moved into an 1870's home ithin the past year that has OLD azaleas out front. We lived next door to this house for 6 years (another story for another day). Every year the azaleas seemed to put on less of a show but they weren't my problem.

This year they are my problem. Doing some reading and looking at pictures, I believe we possibly have a phosphorus deficiency. So I bought some azalea food, but everything I am reading says don't feed them until after they are through blooming??? I'm a little confused on that - if they need it, they need it....don't they? Don't ask me about species or anything - there are several kinds out there, mostly small leaf evergreen.

I started a compost heap last fall and have a pretty good supply of composted material and almost-but-not-quite decomposed material...incidentally, there is no mulch on these beds, but there never has been.

What to do?
Some older shrubs need rejuvenation pruning- look for this info on websites belonging to reputable local university.
In order to keep azaleas producing fresh healthy wood - one needs to remove a bout 1/3 of the shrub each year by cutting old unproductive for flowers and leaves branches as well as dead; damaged and diseased branches. Do it after bloom period is over- they bloom on 1 year old wood mostly and if you cut it in a wrong time of year - you will miss the flowers The next year. The bloom resume the year after that.

Generally, it is not recommended to use chemical fertilizers in your landscape. It will destroy the delicate balance of your soil microorganisms and add undesirable salts to your soil. Chem fertilizers is a serious concern for human health as well- a lot of them are modified byproducts of industries and contain a lot of harmful elements like cadmium, nickel, arsenic, etc- which leach into your soil and water or carried with dust into your lungs, adsorbed by your skin.
Only a few states require labeling of fertilizers: Washington, Texas; Oregon. Go to their local department of agriculture and plugin the name- I saw that even the benign elements like copper or zink, which plants need in small amounts - can cause havoc if added too much or in a wrong proportion to each other.

Add 2-3 inch of plant based mulch per year to keep roots moist and cool- you will be back in business of blooming.
In some cases plants die due to age, disease pressure, environment or human factor- just plant new ones!
If you want to use up your compost on azaleas - I would not put more than 1” deep per year- do not put compost or mulch close to the branches- keep 4” inches away- otherwise they will start rotting and azalea roots CO2 and oxygen exchange will be impeded- shrubs breeze like you and me! Meaning some microbial life which makes food for azaleas need oxygen

Last edited by Nik4me; Today at 01:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden