Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 11:54 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,347,398 times

Advertisements

2 rainbows.

If that tale is old, I had never read it. That is funny!

I am no expert on scriptures but I'm pretty sure God has an extraordinary sense of humor. After all he gave most of us at least a little of it.

Thanks for the laugh.

BTW, I agree on the religious, psychology & political forums. I've been accused at times of "overthinking" an issue but these folks could argue over the form of a bowling bowl.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:31 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
A discussion about lawns would be at home in the gardening forum.
Well, lawns is what I'm discussing. Can't speak for you or anyone else.

Back to topic - so how do you feel about dandelions in lawns?

Old 01-13-2017, 12:36 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
well, lawns is what i'm discussing. Can't speak for you or anyone else.

Back to topic - so how do you feel about dandelions in lawns?
2-4d

Old 01-13-2017, 12:38 PM

678 posts, read 438,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I understand the argument against all available land being used for uniform lawns, and
I certainly understand that there are vast swaths of the inhabited Earth where lawns don't properly belong at all.
In fact, my own property is 100% xeriscaped and I heartily encourage anyone living in my climate and ecological zone to minimize or eliminate lawns entirely.
Well, you are ahead ! in the game then, as (literally on hands & knees with no less 5 fractures), I have spent nigh 4 years
each Spring + fall digging UP weeds mostly, so nutritional & more beautiful plantscan take their place. And
this is still in progress... Congrats that you either have the $$$ or the tools to get this done already.

Quote:
But what I don't understand is the unilateral disdain that many have for the mere concept of a lawn.
Agreed. - because you know God also created grass, (or it would not be here on earth). -
So
the only reason I started this, was just as I said >>after witnessing ridiculous shenanigans in
the religious, psychology & political forums yesterday, Frankly I needed some comic-RELIEF, know what I mean?

And since GARDENERS, generally, are more rational , & reasonable people, I posted it here. Thank you for your comments. May you too enjoy a Wonderful day

Old 01-13-2017, 01:43 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,121,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 rainbows View Post
Forgive me. - Today after wandering around... in the religious & psychology & political forums of
this place, i went AARGH ! it's enuf to drive one craz-ier
so
Here's a good story, related to Gardening: GOD'S THOUGHTS ON LAWNS
I read about 9 years ago, ever heard it ?

GOD: Frank, you know all about gardens and nature. What in the world is going on down there on the planet? What happened to the dandelions, violets, thistle and stuff I started eons ago? I had a perfect, no-maintenance garden plan. Those plants grow in any type of soil, withstand drought and multiply with abandon. The nectar from the long lasting blossoms attracts butterflies, honey bees and flocks of songbirds. I expected to see a vast garden of colors by now. But all I see are these green rectangles.
ST. FRANCIS: It's the tribes that settled there, Lord. The Suburbanites. They started calling your flowers "weeds" and went to great lengths to kill them and replace them with grass.
GOD: Grass? But it's so boring. It's not colorful. It doesn't attract butterflies, birds and bees, only grubs and sod worms. It's sensitive to temperatures. Do these Suburbanites really want all that grass growing there?
ST. FRANCIS: Apparently so, Lord. They go to great pains to grow it and keep it green. They begin each spring by fertilizing grass and poisoning any other plant that crops up in the lawn.
GOD: The spring rains and warm weather probably make grass grow really fast. That must make the Suburbanites happy.
ST. FRANCIS: Apparently not, Lord. As soon as it grows a little, they cut it - sometimes twice a week.
GOD: They cut it? Do they then bail it like hay?
ST. FRANCIS: Not exactly, Lord. Most of them rake it up and put it in bags.
GOD: They bag it? Why? Is it a cash crop? Do they sell it?
ST. FRANCIS: No Sir. Just the opposite. They pay to throw it away.
GOD: Now let me get this straight. They fertilize grass so it will grow. And when it does grow, they cut it off and pay to throw it away?
ST. FRANCIS: Yes, Sir.
GOD: These Suburbanites must be relieved in the summer when we cut back on the rain and turn up the heat. That surely slows the growth and save them a lot of work.
ST. FRANCIS: >>> You aren't going to believe this Lord. When the grass stops growing so fast, they drag out hoses and pay more money to water it so they can continue to mow it and pay to get rid of it.
GOD: What nonsense!. At least they kept some of the trees. That was a sheer stroke of genius, if I do say so myself. The trees grow leaves in the spring to provide beauty and shade in the summer. In the autumn they fall to the ground and form a natural blanket to keep moisture in the soil and protect the trees and bushes. Plus, as they rot, the leaves form compost to enhance the soil. It's a natural circle of life.
ST. FRANCIS: >>> You better sit down, Lord. The Suburbanites have drawn a new circle. As soon as the leaves fall, they rake them into great piles and pay to have them hauled away.
GOD: No. What do they do to protect the shrub and tree roots in the winter and to keep the soil moist and loose?
ST. FRANCIS: >>> After throwing away the leaves, they go out and buy something which they call mulch. They haul it home and spread it around in place of the leaves.
GOD: And where do they get this mulch?
ST. FRANCIS: >>> They cut down trees and grind them up to make the mulch.
GOD: Enough ! I don't want to think about this anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 rainbows View Post

St. Catherine, you're in charge of the arts. What movie have you scheduled for us?
ST.CATHERINE: Dumb & Dumber, Lord. It's a really stupid movie about ...
GOD: Never mind, I just heard the whole story
Possibly the best post I have ever seen on this forum, filled with wisdom and truth in such a way as to make the everyday person uncomfortable with being faced with their own actions. BRAVO!
It
belongs in this gardening forum...it is essential!

I care for my 'yard' in the very same way as God would in this little story. I always have.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:35 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,660,413 times
The good part is, from a street view, mowed weeds look just like mowed grass.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:22 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Not funny.
Let it marinate for a while, you'll get it.

Thanks, OP. I hadn't heard (or read) that one before. Don't let the people who take themselves too seriously mess with your fun.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:23 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yes, but that is neither educational or humorous, IMHO.

Also, God is all-knowing. So a conversation like that would not occur.
And if God did not want grass on earth, He would not have created it.
Stories like that are made up to push an agenda, that's all.

I know I am in the minority on this, so no need to tell me what I already know.
Also, this "God" fella you speak of doesn't exist. And that agenda? You have one too.

I'll go get the popcorn.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:59 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,255,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Also, this "God" fella you speak of doesn't exist. And that agenda? You have one too.

I'll go get the popcorn.
Your post reminded me of that famous book featured in "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".

Old 01-13-2017, 07:11 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,537 times
Jeez, people, I think the op posted it for a little bit of comic relief. Some of you folks need a chill pill. Do we have to make a big frickin' deal about EVERTHING?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden