Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 10:39 PM

678 posts, read 438,049 times

Advertisements

Forgive me. - Today after wandering around... in the religious & psychology & political forums of
this place, i went AARGH ! it's enuf to drive one craz-ier
so
Here's a good story, related to Gardening: GOD'S THOUGHTS ON LAWNS
I read about 9 years ago, ever heard it ?

GOD: Frank, you know all about gardens and nature. What in the world is going on down there on the planet? What happened to the dandelions, violets, thistle and stuff I started eons ago? I had a perfect, no-maintenance garden plan. Those plants grow in any type of soil, withstand drought and multiply with abandon. The nectar from the long lasting blossoms attracts butterflies, honey bees and flocks of songbirds. I expected to see a vast garden of colors by now. But all I see are these green rectangles.
ST. FRANCIS: It's the tribes that settled there, Lord. The Suburbanites. They started calling your flowers "weeds" and went to great lengths to kill them and replace them with grass.
GOD: Grass? But it's so boring. It's not colorful. It doesn't attract butterflies, birds and bees, only grubs and sod worms. It's sensitive to temperatures. Do these Suburbanites really want all that grass growing there?
ST. FRANCIS: Apparently so, Lord. They go to great pains to grow it and keep it green. They begin each spring by fertilizing grass and poisoning any other plant that crops up in the lawn.
GOD: The spring rains and warm weather probably make grass grow really fast. That must make the Suburbanites happy.
ST. FRANCIS: Apparently not, Lord. As soon as it grows a little, they cut it - sometimes twice a week.
GOD: They cut it? Do they then bail it like hay?
ST. FRANCIS: Not exactly, Lord. Most of them rake it up and put it in bags.
GOD: They bag it? Why? Is it a cash crop? Do they sell it?
ST. FRANCIS: No Sir. Just the opposite. They pay to throw it away.
GOD: Now let me get this straight. They fertilize grass so it will grow. And when it does grow, they cut it off and pay to throw it away?
ST. FRANCIS: Yes, Sir.
GOD: These Suburbanites must be relieved in the summer when we cut back on the rain and turn up the heat. That surely slows the growth and save them a lot of work.
ST. FRANCIS: >>> You aren't going to believe this Lord. When the grass stops growing so fast, they drag out hoses and pay more money to water it so they can continue to mow it and pay to get rid of it.
GOD: What nonsense!. At least they kept some of the trees. That was a sheer stroke of genius, if I do say so myself. The trees grow leaves in the spring to provide beauty and shade in the summer. In the autumn they fall to the ground and form a natural blanket to keep moisture in the soil and protect the trees and bushes. Plus, as they rot, the leaves form compost to enhance the soil. It's a natural circle of life.
ST. FRANCIS: >>> You better sit down, Lord. The Suburbanites have drawn a new circle. As soon as the leaves fall, they rake them into great piles and pay to have them hauled away.
GOD: No. What do they do to protect the shrub and tree roots in the winter and to keep the soil moist and loose?
ST. FRANCIS: >>> After throwing away the leaves, they go out and buy something which they call mulch. They haul it home and spread it around in place of the leaves.
GOD: And where do they get this mulch?
ST. FRANCIS: >>> They cut down trees and grind them up to make the mulch.
GOD: Enough ! I don't want to think about this anymore.

St. Catherine, you're in charge of the arts. What movie have you scheduled for us?
ST.CATHERINE: Dumb & Dumber, Lord. It's a really stupid movie about ...
GOD: Never mind, I just heard the whole story

Really educational HUMOR is good. Agreed ?

Old 01-12-2017, 11:19 PM

711 posts, read 688,226 times
Brilliant! Thank you OP!

Old 01-13-2017, 08:01 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Yes, an oldie but goodie that sums up the insanity pretty well.

I do mow, in order to keep the city off my back. But otherwise - I don't care.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:03 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I get what you are saying, but I think there are plenty of weeds and wildflowers left in the world, without worrying about all the guys who groove on having a perfect lawn. After all, a perfect lawn is a thing of beauty too.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:48 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
Not funny.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
Brilliant! Thank you OP!
Thanks for your kind words, especially today. Have a wonderful day

Old 01-13-2017, 10:03 AM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 rainbows View Post
Really educational HUMOR is good. Agreed ?
Yes, but that is neither educational or humorous, IMHO.

Also, God is all-knowing. So a conversation like that would not occur.
And if God did not want grass on earth, He would not have created it.
Stories like that are made up to push an agenda, that's all.

I know I am in the minority on this, so no need to tell me what I already know.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yes, an oldie but goodie that sums up the insanity pretty well.

I do mow, in order to keep the city off my back. But otherwise - I don't care.
Thanks for your kind words also, especially today.
Yes,
even with 5 fractures in my left arm, I made sure to use the weed-whacker
(as we find ourselves in a crazy world where peeps senselessly complain), instead offering to Volunteer to help...

Have a wonderful day

Old 01-13-2017, 10:14 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yes, but that is neither educational or humorous, IMHO.

Also, God is all-knowing. So a conversation like that would not occur.
And if God did not want grass on earth, He would not have created it.
Stories like that are made up to push an agenda, that's all.

I know I am in the minority on this, so no need to tell me what I already know.
..........."Stories like that are made up to push an agenda "...

Yes, and belong in the "Green living forum "..

Old 01-13-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I get what you are saying,
but I think there are plenty of weeds and wildflowers left in the world, without worrying about all the guys who groove on having a perfect lawn. After all, a perfect lawn is a thing of beauty too.
Sure,
rather than bare ground, a lawn is much nicer, & in God's wisdom He created other plants that
(outside a broad desert) quite adequately fill IN. I am soo Thankful... for the zillions of plants God created for our physical survival , & emotional enjoyment , & for the opportunities He created to bring us closer... to Him Enjoy also a wonderful day friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden