U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 06:44 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,505,540 times

Advertisements

Had been crazy weather here as well.

Nearly everyday much above average.

The grass and plants are loving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
2 weeks ago, we had a nor-easter and snow on the ground. Temps around 29-32 degrees.

Yesterday (2 weeks to the day of the snowstorm), we hit 86 degrees, my grass is starting to grow pretty well, and I just put down ferts, and preemergent. My trees are budding, and everything literally is starting to take off and grow.

I did lose a bush over the winter. It's dead and brittle. Gotta dig it up this afternoon and select a replacement. Need to remulch my front edging as well.

Grass is not long enough to cut yet. We have some rain due this weeks, so the warmer temps, plus rain every other day should get things growing pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 07:38 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,027,649 times
Ok, time to my money where my mouth is. I've been talking up this soybean and alfalfa meal business for a while. Here are two pictures that I took this morning of two separate sections of my yard (side and front). I was able to mow the front late yesterday because I just couldn't stand looking so bad any longer. It was wet and can't get to the side and back at the moment.

10 days of having the soybean and alfalfa on the lawn (side), and mowed (front). This is still mostly last years grass as the additional fescue seeds I put down with the soybean and alfalfa aren't up yet, but I am starting to see it a little. I am happy to say (and very surprised actually at this point) that I can pass the golf ball test now! That's when the grass is dense enough to hold a golf ball up on its own!
Attached Thumbnails
Spring 2017 Lawn Care - First Cutting and Crabgrass Preventer-img_7545.jpg   Spring 2017 Lawn Care - First Cutting and Crabgrass Preventer-img_7574.jpg  

Old 04-22-2017, 08:11 PM

To give an idea of where I started from, this is the same area of the front yard a year ago March (2016). I bought this house in Nov. 2015. Previous owner shut off the irrigation system years prior (was actually damaged in several places, a royal pain to fix and bring back to life).

Grass was basically completely gone, and where there was grass, it was so thinned out that weeds made up probably 75% of it.

Alfalfa, soybean, tenacity, drive xlr8, Tzone se, and caravan g, along with tall fescue seeding, and probably the first airation in 5 years. That's what it's taken to get it back. All the chemicals killed off the weeds and crab grass (drive xlr8, tenacity, Tzone SE), disease and bad bugs (caravan g). The alfalfa and soybean brought it back to health once it was ready.

Year 2 is off to a much better start!
Attached Thumbnails
Spring 2017 Lawn Care - First Cutting and Crabgrass Preventer-fullsizerender.jpg  

Old 04-24-2017, 12:41 PM

Nice job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Ok, time to my money where my mouth is. I've been talking up this soybean and alfalfa meal business for a while. Here are two pictures that I took this morning of two separate sections of my yard (side and front). I was able to mow the front late yesterday because I just couldn't stand looking so bad any longer. It was wet and can't get to the side and back at the moment.

10 days of having the soybean and alfalfa on the lawn (side), and mowed (front). This is still mostly last years grass as the additional fescue seeds I put down with the soybean and alfalfa aren't up yet, but I am starting to see it a little. I am happy to say (and very surprised actually at this point) that I can pass the golf ball test now! That's when the grass is dense enough to hold a golf ball up on its own!

Old 04-24-2017, 06:58 PM

Thanks amigo! I also think that microbial innoculant I put down and root master b has played a big roll this year. I've been doing this alfalfa and soybean routine now for the past few years. Never have I ever seen grass grow this quickly before, no matter the conditions at that time. I sprayed the innoculant towards the end of March, mowed for the first time this year on April 9th, and then put the alfalfa and soybean and new seeds down that same day. 12 days later it was all nearly 12 inches high. I'd honestly say my mower height is probably around 3 inches high. That's nearly an inch a day of growth. If I hadn't of seen it with my own eyes, I'd honestly call BS on it, but I can't. In the past I've given the grass 3 weeks untouched after the soybean alfalfa seed applications so the seeds have plenty of time to get seated in the ground and not be disturbed by the mower. But this time I really couldn't wait that long and expect the mower to handle it all. It's a toro and not a slouch by any means. It was a huge pain to mow it this past weekend, got bogged down countless times. I couldn't go 20 feet before having to empty the full bag. Completely stunned me and my neighbors. It's so dense now that you can still see my footprints in several areas. All of this from basically a little less than 2 weeks with really one of great weather. I have never seen this happen before. I'm at a loss as to why, and can only assume that it's that Quantum innoculant stuff that is doing this. I've got areas where the color of the grass is almost a lime green color. All the same type of seed from southern states to, so it can be different types of actual grass. I am thrilled and stunned at the same time here. I've got enough of the innoculant left for another 3 or 4 applications later on too. Will wait until the heat stress shows up before using it again. I think I've actually created a monster here! You should really try it yourself!

Old 04-24-2017, 08:25 PM

832 posts, read 419,003 times
I'm just getting into lawn care so this is a great forum for me. I'm still working on a basic plan (not quite up to alfalfa and soybean yet) but got some milorganite down as well as some Prodiamine a few weeks ago. It still might not have been early enough for my Southeast-facing front lawn, but it's already much better than last year. I do see a flourishing of these guys though... any idea what they are and (better yet) how to get rid of them?
Attached Thumbnails
Spring 2017 Lawn Care - First Cutting and Crabgrass Preventer-img_2098.jpg  

Last edited by TEPLimey; 04-24-2017 at 08:56 PM..

Old 04-24-2017, 09:10 PM

That's called chickweed, and it seems to be everywhere this year. I had some too and it's a booger to kill off. I use stuff called "TZone SE" to kill mine without killing the grass. Moving2Reston uses "Speed Zone" to kill off his. Both are on Amazon. The good news is that it's pretty easy to pull out too, as looks can be deceiving on just how big the actual weed is. It viney. I've also heard that the summer heat will kill it off too, but can't confirm that advice. I can only vouch for TZone SE, and willing to bet Reston can do the same for Speed Zone by Gordons.

I really don't know why this weed is so popular this year, would be curious to know myself. It seems to be everywhere regardless of location.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:39 AM

832 posts, read 419,003 times
Do TZone or Speed Zone work effectively as post-emergents spot treatment for most broadleaf weeds? What about on crabgrass? The prodiamine (Barricade) did a lot to prevent the crabgrass, but there are still a few around.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:35 AM

Ouch! Cool Temps and moisture.... Chickweed thrives.

As the Temps warm up and closer to summer, this stuff dies off.

Either of the herbicides mentioned above should work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I'm just getting into lawn care so this is a great forum for me. I'm still working on a basic plan (not quite up to alfalfa and soybean yet) but got some milorganite down as well as some Prodiamine a few weeks ago. It still might not have been early enough for my Southeast-facing front lawn, but it's already much better than last year. I do see a flourishing of these guys though... any idea what they are and (better yet) how to get rid of them?

Old 04-25-2017, 07:37 AM

Pulling out always works, but I have spraying is far more effective to ensure all is removed.

Yes, Speed Zone works great on this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
That's called chickweed, and it seems to be everywhere this year. I had some too and it's a booger to kill off. I use stuff called "TZone SE" to kill mine without killing the grass. Moving2Reston uses "Speed Zone" to kill off his. Both are on Amazon. The good news is that it's pretty easy to pull out too, as looks can be deceiving on just how big the actual weed is. It viney. I've also heard that the summer heat will kill it off too, but can't confirm that advice. I can only vouch for TZone SE, and willing to bet Reston can do the same for Speed Zone by Gordons.

I really don't know why this weed is so popular this year, would be curious to know myself. It seems to be everywhere regardless of location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden