U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 04:13 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,132,415 times

Advertisements

Great to hear. Keep us posted on the progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Roger that. Bought some of the hermbicide, and will do a cut with bag as soon as it stops raining.

Most of the weeds I inherited from before there was grass. The grass did a good job filling in from last fall's seeding, but now I just need to kill off the weeds to let it fill in those spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 05:03 AM

65,012 posts, read 47,336,882 times
Quote:
Roger that. Bought some of the hermbicide, and will do a cut with bag as soon as it stops raining.
Yup.. Fog, mist, drizzle, rain, clouds has been the pattern past 2 weeks.

Only 1 sunny day in last 10 days here. 9 of last 10 with precip. I missed my chance to mow on the 23rd which was the last sunny day we had. I couldn't wait anymore. Mowed yesterday with wet grass. Took double the time. Everything so thick, green and lush outside but still no leaves on trees. (mini leaves waiting for the sun) . Posted couple photos from here yesterday.

How come nobody else is posting about their grass in this thread? Is there another thread I'm not seeing?

Old 04-28-2017, 05:18 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,132,415 times
Think you are referring to this one?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/47977964-post146.html

Going to be posting my May lawn care tips there soon....

Have you had any Crabgrass yet? Been seeing alot of it along the sidewalks at my work.

It's no wonder with these Temps. Suppose to be another record breaker tomorrow going to 90' nearly 60' above average. At Temps like that, need to avoid any use of herbicide.

Stay cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I'm a fan of granular Caravan G by Syngenta, but that's before I bought a backpack sprayer, so I'm looking at liquids now instead. M2Reston posted up a nice list in another thread that had some good info!

Old 04-28-2017, 08:21 AM

8,722 posts, read 8,927,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yup.. Fog, mist, drizzle, rain, clouds has been the pattern past 2 weeks.

We got a bit of a break from it last night and the lawn was dried out, so I had a chance to go out, apply the herbicide, have dinner, and then went back out and did a bagged cut of the lawn. Went a tiny bit lower to try and get as many of the heads as I could.

There were a lot of dandelions that hadn't yet sprouted heads, so I tried to spot and spray them. Prob missed a few, but I should be able to spot them as the yellow heads come up.

But a quick check before I left for work this am, and it looks like the plants I did spray are stressed. Hopefully that translates to them dying off.

Grass is coming in thicker, so as the individual weeds die off, it should backfill with the desires grass. I'm sure i'll have some thin spots, but as long as I keep weeds in check this year, i'll do a final major aerate/reseed this fall, and hopefully next spring have a nice thick, and hopefully weed free lawn.

It rained again overnight, and looks like we are going to have a pattern of every 2-3 days of getting some rain. Hopefully that translates into a VERY thick lawn by the time the summer heat rolls around.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:25 AM

65,012 posts, read 47,336,882 times
Quote:
We got a bit of a break from it last night and the lawn was dried out, so I had a chance to go out, apply the herbicide, have dinner, and then went back out and did a bagged cut of the lawn. Went a tiny bit lower to try and get as many of the heads as I could.

There were a lot of dandelions that hadn't yet sprouted heads, so I tried to spot and spray them. Prob missed a few, but I should be able to spot them as the yellow heads come up.

But a quick check before I left for work this am, and it looks like the plants I did spray are stressed. Hopefully that translates to them dying off.

Grass is coming in thicker, so as the individual weeds die off, it should backfill with the desires grass. I'm sure i'll have some thin spots, but as long as I keep weeds in check this year, i'll do a final major aerate/reseed this fall, and hopefully next spring have a nice thick, and hopefully weed free lawn.

It rained again overnight, and looks like we are going to have a pattern of every 2-3 days of getting some rain. Hopefully that translates into a VERY thick lawn by the time the summer heat rolls around.
Same here, I'll do a reseed in Fall but no Aerate. After years of maintenance I'm happy to just do basic stuff to the lawn now. It was a mess 10 yrs ago with constant care.. Happy to say the lawn hasn't been aerated in decades and yet someone asked me "is this sod?". I leave grass clippings and mow leaves right in, plus Lime a lot, that has to be the reason., plus weed and feed.

My new Challenge is from the 2 Oak trees I planted 8yrs ago. Noticing the grass thinning under the Canopy there. Need to address that with new soil and seeds soon.

Raining again this morning. Day #10 of last 11 days with precip. Ground hasn't been dry in like 2 weeks. Grass so thick and green. We finally got sun yesterday and it warmed into the 80s. Still no leaves on the trees but that's about to change quick.

BTW, how would you like to be here this weekend?

Old 05-01-2017, 08:34 AM

8,722 posts, read 8,927,230 times
Been almost a week since I treated the weeds. 95% of them are in a state of wilting/shriveling. Every day I do a quick check in the AM before I head to work for any I missed as you can see the yellow heads poke up. So as soon as I see them, I go douse them and they are usually wilted by the evening.

But now, you just look across my lawn and see dead. shriveled "spiders". I'm sure as the spring progresses and they dry out, the lawn will fill over most of it, and i'll take care of the rest with a final reseed this fall.

In a bit of a wet pattern now, and I have to cut the lawn almost 2X per week now. Front yard needs to be cut once more now. Ferts are really taking hold though...it's a nice DARK green.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:01 AM

3,641 posts, read 1,096,655 times
I put down the Speed Zone yesterday, per NC211's suggestion. As I was spraying, I did find a lot of clover and other broad leaf, besides chickweed. I understand the stuff works pretty quickly, so hopefully I am on my way to undoing the years of neglect my lawn has suffered.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:02 AM

1,819 posts, read 1,551,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I put down the Speed Zone yesterday, per NC211's suggestion. As I was spraying, I did find a lot of clover and other broad leaf, besides chickweed. I understand the stuff works pretty quickly, so hopefully I am on my way to undoing the years of neglect my lawn has suffered.
I think you've got Movin2Reston and I blended together! He's the one that uses Speed Zone, and I use "T-Zone SE". Most likely the same 3 active ingredients and will certainly produce the proper results. I too had clover, and it's mostly gone now too (a couple of spots remain).

My neighbors across the street tried to kill off their weeds a couple of weeks ago with Home Depot type spray, didn't work. They asked if I would help. I sprayed their yard on Saturday with a recipe of T-Zone SE, Drive XLR8, and a surfactant. You don't have to mix the TZone SE with a surfactant (but you do with Drive to make it perform better).

They got hit hard by the chickweeds this year, worst one on the block. Checked them late yesterday for progress, and they're clearly dying off now and likely to be gone in about a week. Stuff really does work wonders!

My advice, once you've wiped out the majority, go buy some 32 ounce spray bottles from the store and mix up a solution to have handy for spot treatment. I did this yesterday with an array of sprays. For TZone SE, the mix rate is 1.2 to 1.5 ounces per 1 gallon of water. So in a 32 ounce hand spray bottle, it'd be 2.25 teaspoons per bottle (for the 1.5 ounce solution). You can use that on the grass and not harm the grass. I have a stronger mix solution I use for concrete and mulch beds (with direct application of very little).

My plan going forward for the summer is to spot treat whenever I see something coming up when I mow the lawn. I have a couple of those little wire flags that I put in my pocket, and as a I mow and see something, I put down a flag so I don't forget where it was after I'm done mowing. Grab the 32 ounce spray bottle for whatever the cause, light mist spray one time, and done...

If you get hit by crabgrass this year, I seriously can not recommend Drive XLR8 enough. It is simply fantastic for wiping out crabgrass while not harming the lawn. I've never seen anything like it. Make sure you use a surfactant with it though to make it stick to the leaves.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:04 AM

1,819 posts, read 1,551,058 times
....and keep us posted on the results! Would love to know how it all comes out!

Old 05-02-2017, 10:36 AM

3,641 posts, read 1,096,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I think you've got Movin2Reston and I blended together! He's the one that uses Speed Zone, and I use "T-Zone SE". Most likely the same 3 active ingredients and will certainly produce the proper results. I too had clover, and it's mostly gone now too (a couple of spots remain).

My neighbors across the street tried to kill off their weeds a couple of weeks ago with Home Depot type spray, didn't work. They asked if I would help. I sprayed their yard on Saturday with a recipe of T-Zone SE, Drive XLR8, and a surfactant. You don't have to mix the TZone SE with a surfactant (but you do with Drive to make it perform better).

They got hit hard by the chickweeds this year, worst one on the block. Checked them late yesterday for progress, and they're clearly dying off now and likely to be gone in about a week. Stuff really does work wonders!

My advice, once you've wiped out the majority, go buy some 32 ounce spray bottles from the store and mix up a solution to have handy for spot treatment. I did this yesterday with an array of sprays. For TZone SE, the mix rate is 1.2 to 1.5 ounces per 1 gallon of water. So in a 32 ounce hand spray bottle, it'd be 2.25 teaspoons per bottle (for the 1.5 ounce solution). You can use that on the grass and not harm the grass. I have a stronger mix solution I use for concrete and mulch beds (with direct application of very little).

My plan going forward for the summer is to spot treat whenever I see something coming up when I mow the lawn. I have a couple of those little wire flags that I put in my pocket, and as a I mow and see something, I put down a flag so I don't forget where it was after I'm done mowing. Grab the 32 ounce spray bottle for whatever the cause, light mist spray one time, and done...

If you get hit by crabgrass this year, I seriously can not recommend Drive XLR8 enough. It is simply fantastic for wiping out crabgrass while not harming the lawn. I've never seen anything like it. Make sure you use a surfactant with it though to make it stick to the leaves.
The handy bottle of Speed Zone is a great idea and I will definitely be doing that going forward. I have the crabgrass mostly under control this season - I got down Prodiamine (Barricade) at the right time, so my East-facing full sun front lawn only has a couple here and there, so I might be better off with a spray bottle there too. The big issue, though, was the chickweed. Everything (other than the KBG) else is spotty here and there and I can take care of it over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or