U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2017, 05:10 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,129,634 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a plan, just hold off on applying herbicide when it's excessively warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I think you've got Movin2Reston and I blended together! He's the one that uses Speed Zone, and I use "T-Zone SE". Most likely the same 3 active ingredients and will certainly produce the proper results. I too had clover, and it's mostly gone now too (a couple of spots remain).

My neighbors across the street tried to kill off their weeds a couple of weeks ago with Home Depot type spray, didn't work. They asked if I would help. I sprayed their yard on Saturday with a recipe of T-Zone SE, Drive XLR8, and a surfactant. You don't have to mix the TZone SE with a surfactant (but you do with Drive to make it perform better).

They got hit hard by the chickweeds this year, worst one on the block. Checked them late yesterday for progress, and they're clearly dying off now and likely to be gone in about a week. Stuff really does work wonders!

My advice, once you've wiped out the majority, go buy some 32 ounce spray bottles from the store and mix up a solution to have handy for spot treatment. I did this yesterday with an array of sprays. For TZone SE, the mix rate is 1.2 to 1.5 ounces per 1 gallon of water. So in a 32 ounce hand spray bottle, it'd be 2.25 teaspoons per bottle (for the 1.5 ounce solution). You can use that on the grass and not harm the grass. I have a stronger mix solution I use for concrete and mulch beds (with direct application of very little).

My plan going forward for the summer is to spot treat whenever I see something coming up when I mow the lawn. I have a couple of those little wire flags that I put in my pocket, and as a I mow and see something, I put down a flag so I don't forget where it was after I'm done mowing. Grab the 32 ounce spray bottle for whatever the cause, light mist spray one time, and done...

If you get hit by crabgrass this year, I seriously can not recommend Drive XLR8 enough. It is simply fantastic for wiping out crabgrass while not harming the lawn. I've never seen anything like it. Make sure you use a surfactant with it though to make it stick to the leaves.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 05:11 PM

Agree!

It takes a couple seasons to get the lawn where you want it, but hard work will pay off.

Quote:
....and keep us posted on the results! Would love to know how it all comes out!

Old 05-04-2017, 06:23 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 1,789,032 times
Great idea with the flags! There are some picker type weeds and I have to have gloves on to get them. I keep forgetting where they are as I walk the yard getting the other weeds. Of course I'm always without the gloves while doing this walk

Old 05-05-2017, 07:49 AM

3,572 posts, read 1,093,514 times
Quote:
....and keep us posted on the results! Would love to know how it all comes out!
The Speed Zone has got some clover curing in the front, but I think I might need a second application to wipe out the chickweed, which (as others have noted) is worse this year than in the past.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:43 PM

Speed Zone is an awesome product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
The Speed Zone has got some clover curing in the front, but I think I might need a second application to wipe out the chickweed, which (as others have noted) is worse this year than in the past.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:18 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,547,786 times
Quote:

TEPLimey - how's it going? Things looking better for you now?

Old 05-25-2017, 04:08 PM

3,572 posts, read 1,093,514 times
Quote:
TEPLimey - how's it going? Things looking better for you now?
Much better. The Speed Zone did a number on the clover and there is a lot less crabgrass this year than last. The prior owner didn't do anything but water occasionally, so I'm trying to undo decades of neglect.

I am still working on getting the remaining crabgrass out in the front and plan on another round of Speed Zone, Prodiamine, and Milorganite this weekend and maybe a broadleaf preventer (if you have any ones you like, I'm open to suggestion), although I might wait until mid-June for that. I think that should carry me through to September when I will aerate and get my overseeing done. It will take a few years, but my lawn looks a thousand times better this year than last.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:18 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,547,786 times
That "Drive XLR8" will wipeout the crabgrass in one shot. Same as others in that it takes very little, leaving you with lots leftover for later to spot treat as needed.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:55 PM

God to hear!

Quote:
Much better. The Speed Zone did a number on the clover and there is a lot less crabgrass this year than last. The prior owner didn't do anything but water occasionally, so I'm trying to undo decades of neglect.

I am still working on getting the remaining crabgrass out in the front and plan on another round of Speed Zone, Prodiamine, and Milorganite this weekend and maybe a broadleaf preventer (if you have any ones you like, I'm open to suggestion), although I might wait until mid-June for that. I think that should carry me through to September when I will aerate and get my overseeing done. It will take a few years, but my lawn looks a thousand times better this year than last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or