U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 06:49 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,505,540 times

Advertisements

Lucky you with the snow.

My snow blower is collecting dust at this point, the record warmth is winning out.

My area is going down with the warmest February on record and for the winter season.

Even if it snows at this point, we have only about three weeks left, but even ground temps are so warm.

Forsthyia is nearly in full bloom....weeks and weeks ahead of the normal schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've still got 8-10"+ of snow on my lawn in some places. No mower for me. Too soon to put the blower away too.

Although I guess I could start picking up supplies and getting ready to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 09:36 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,778,307 times
It was 76 on Friday so I got out my lawnmower and leaf-blower to do some cleanup of leaves and my neighbor's ornamental grass that has blown all over my yard. We then got snow flurries Saturday and Sunday and it was down to upper 20s.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:46 AM

Are temps warming back up this week?

Upper 20s here this morning, but going back up to near 90' by Wednesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
It was 76 on Friday so I got out my lawnmower and leaf-blower to do some cleanup of leaves and my neighbor's ornamental grass that has blown all over my yard. We then got snow flurries Saturday and Sunday and it was down to upper 20s.

Last edited by movin2Reston; 02-27-2017 at 03:56 AM..

Old 02-27-2017, 10:30 AM

6,894 posts, read 6,113,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Lucky you with the snow.

My snow blower is collecting dust at this point, the record warmth is winning out.

My area is going down with the warmest February on record and for the winter season.

Even if it snows at this point, we have only about three weeks left, but even ground temps are so warm.

Forsthyia is nearly in full bloom....weeks and weeks ahead of the normal schedule.

We got a bit of the warmth too. In the span of 4 days, most of the snow melted. There's still mountains of snow here and there in various parking lots and such, but for the most part, my property is now snow free....and we hit 70 degrees two days in a row.

My Perennials are starting to poke out of the ground...In February...In Massachusetts! That's unheard of. Usually this weather doesn't start til April.

I'm actually confused as to what to do since we still have a solid month of potential cold/snow.

I guess I could start with some basic yard cleanup and gather some supplies.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:29 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,027,649 times
I thought there was a brush fire last week while to work. Turned out to be pollen exploding out of the evergreen trees as the wind hit them. Seriously looked like smoke in the air!

We're definitely starting to green up in the grass, and starting to see new growth showing up from the aeration and over seeding from October. This is screwing up my home renovation plans! Wanted to be done with all of the painting inside before turning back to the lawn. I thought I'd have another few weekends!

Old 02-28-2017, 06:39 AM

6,894 posts, read 6,113,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Wanted to be done with all of the painting inside before turning back to the lawn. I thought I'd have another few weekends!

Same here. In the middle of painting a few rooms, plus my front lamppost came down in a storm and I need to dig up the yard a bit to replace and rewire it. Wanted to do that in the next month or so so I can reseed that area early.

My Japanese Maple is starting to bud too.

Grass is still dormant. Still below freezing at night..so I have a little bit of time. I just really hope we don't have another drought again like last summer.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:47 PM

Yes, my perrienals are also sprouting through. But more importantly forsythia in bloom. Totally unheard for this time of the year.

Was 77' today, nearly 25' above the average.

The weeks and months should be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
We got a bit of the warmth too. In the span of 4 days, most of the snow melted. There's still mountains of snow here and there in various parking lots and such, but for the most part, my property is now snow free....and we hit 70 degrees two days in a row.

My Perennials are starting to poke out of the ground...In February...In Massachusetts! That's unheard of. Usually this weather doesn't start til April.

I'm actually confused as to what to do since we still have a solid month of potential cold/snow.

I guess I could start with some basic yard cleanup and gather some supplies.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:28 PM

Had a cold snap this weekend, but temps are back to above average next week.

Keep an eye on those soil temps and get that crabgrass preventer down:

Soil Temperature Maps | GreenCast | Syngenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I thought there was a brush fire last week while to work. Turned out to be pollen exploding out of the evergreen trees as the wind hit them. Seriously looked like smoke in the air!

We're definitely starting to green up in the grass, and starting to see new growth showing up from the aeration and over seeding from October. This is screwing up my home renovation plans! Wanted to be done with all of the painting inside before turning back to the lawn. I thought I'd have another few weekends!

Old 03-06-2017, 12:49 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,027,649 times
Honestly, spring can't come soon enough for me. I am actually googling images of lush green lawns and just staring at my phone throughout the day, just waiting!

I did spray the backyard yesterday with the microbial inoculant formula (which stinks like rotten dead a$$ at first). I've been doing a lot of reading this winter on how to get the lawn not only as close to perfect as possible, but sustainable too. From what the neighbors have told me about the previous owner and his love for round-up, I strongly suspect my soil is likely in need of fresh organic ingredients, especially the back yard. This would help to explain why my grass back there took off like crazy with the first rounds of the alfalfa and soybean, but then kind've struggled along after that. So, I'm hosing it down with microbial inoculants to get the good spores back down there, and then will use some of that Mr. Earth fertilizer that is loaded with the mycorrhizae spores. I heard about mycorrhizae from my tree guy last fall when he came out to look at the 16 footers installed in April. We lost one, and one was struggling. Said the soil might be off to allow the root systems of all that we've got going on back there to play nice with each other. Put some down in October in spots around the trees, and they've done much better so far. So, going to nail the grass with it too.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:57 PM

54,019 posts, read 36,248,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Had a cold snap this weekend, but temps are back to above average next week.

Keep an eye on those soil temps and get that crabgrass preventer down:

Soil Temperature Maps | GreenCast | Syngenta
What are your local forecasters saying about the "possible" snowstorm this weekend? Its going to boil down to the track. You are on the border of getting a ton of snow or rain.

I started a thread for it. Will keep it updated. Would love to hear your thoughts in there.

March 2017 Snowstorms Eastern U.S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden