Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 05:14 AM

7,419 posts, read 7,007,253 times

Advertisements

Are you still using Southern States for most your lawn care purchases?

I wish the one in Vienna was still open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
You just couldn't keep that snow to yourself, could you BostonMike? Our forecast is calling for a decent chance of accumulating snow this weekend. If I have to actually use my snow blower this year, not even pointing out that it's nearly the middle of March, well I'm sending you a batch of crabgrass for Easter! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 07:38 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,504,923 times
I am for the most part, especially the herbicides and such because it's so much cheaper there than anywhere else I've found for the good stuff, and I really like their brand of premium fescue seed.. The alfalfa and soybean, if I don't want to make the trip that far to Manassasas, I can also get closer to my home at Loudoun Milling on western side of Leesburg.

But I am buying some stuff now that neither have from amazon. Primarily the microbial inoculants (new to my routine this year). I've bought two different jugs called Quantum from amazon. I think my soil in general needs a little boost in the good fungus and micro-organisms from what I suspect has been a decade of roundup spray, especially in our back yard. Front is ok, but the back isn't nearly as healthy.

I'm going to buy the Dr. Earth fertilizer from Home Depot (gulp) because it's the only one I can find that has the mycorrhizae microbe in it, which I've been told is the big daddy one I need to keep the peace between all of these different trees and shrubs I've got going on in the back yard. They're competing instead of complying. I've been told by 3 tree guys now the same thing about mycorrhizae.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:07 AM

15,681 posts, read 20,176,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Agree. Spring is in the air. Cooler this weekend, but nearly mid March now, it's going to be a wonderful spring.

Winter came back.

Snowing today. Temps in the teens this weekend, and 12"+ of snow forecast for Tue.

I'm tempted to try a dormant seed in some areas of my yard that are a tad thin. Let the weight of 12" of heavy wet snow press it down into contact with the dirt. Following melt should help it sink into the soil even further. Maybe 1000 sf tops in an area I don't get weeds, but would like to thicken up. I'd have to do it Monday....

Old 03-10-2017, 10:34 AM

Yeah our area always gets a late-spring surprise every year.

Toward the end of next week things are back to above-average so I'm very much looking forward to that.

Still glad I got my Crabgrass Preventer down a couple weeks ago as my area has seen abnormally warm temperatures into the seventies and even near at for several days and it doesn't take much for that crabgrass to get sprouting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Winter came back.

Snowing today. Temps in the teens this weekend, and 12"+ of snow forecast for Tue.

I'm tempted to try a dormant seed in some areas of my yard that are a tad thin. Let the weight of 12" of heavy wet snow press it down into contact with the dirt. Following melt should help it sink into the soil even further. Maybe 1000 sf tops in an area I don't get weeds, but would like to thicken up. I'd have to do it Monday....

Old 03-11-2017, 09:05 AM

83,278 posts, read 74,492,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
We've had some odd temp swings. Had three days of 60s-70's, and then this weekend was single digits.

Back into the 30s40's now, but some snow and 20's due in for this weekend. Weather is just all over the place.

I have some supplies ready, but no clue as to when I will get my "go" signal to start doing yard work
No lawn stuff going on here either. When do you usually mow your lawn for first time?

Old 03-11-2017, 09:30 AM

I am going to have to make a trip out there to see what all they carry.

Which is your preferred herbicide? About 2 years ago I discovered Gordon's SpeedZone.

Quote:
I am for the most part, especially the herbicides and such because it's so much cheaper there than anywhere else I've found for the good stuff, and I really like their brand of premium fescue seed.. The alfalfa and soybean, if I don't want to make the trip that far to Manassasas, I can also get closer to my home at Loudoun Milling on western side of Leesburg.

But I am buying some stuff now that neither have from amazon. Primarily the microbial inoculants (new to my routine this year). I've bought two different jugs called Quantum from amazon. I think my soil in general needs a little boost in the good fungus and micro-organisms from what I suspect has been a decade of roundup spray, especially in our back yard. Front is ok, but the back isn't nearly as healthy.

I'm going to buy the Dr. Earth fertilizer from Home Depot (gulp) because it's the only one I can find that has the mycorrhizae microbe in it, which I've been told is the big daddy one I need to keep the peace between all of these different trees and shrubs I've got going on in the back yard. They're competing instead of complying. I've been told by 3 tree guys now the same thing about mycorrhizae.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:43 PM

I think you'll like what you find! Manassasas is the main store for them.

I've got a bit of a mix of herbicides. There are three I have at the moment. My thing is not wanting to hold up my seeding progress so I try to find ones that won't do that. Drive XLR8 is hands down the best I've ever seen for crabgrass no matter how big the bloom might be. I like Tenacity by Syngenta for the grassy weeds (torpedo grass) and other species along those lines. Both of them can do down along with new seeds and not harm them.

But for the chreapjng Charlie's and other hardy weeds, I am liking this TZone SE, which has 3 heavy duty killers mixed in including 2,4d. But needs a wide buffer around seeding. It'll kill off the hard to kill weeds though.

All of these are liquid via backpack sprayer.

Granular, I've never been disappointed with Caravan G for a combined herbicide and pesticide. If just needing herbicide, say for disease or fungus, Heritage G is amazing stuff! Caravan G is Heritage G with a pesticide added in.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:32 AM

15,681 posts, read 20,176,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
No lawn stuff going on here either. When do you usually mow your lawn for first time?

Usually May. It's still dormant right now, although my Japanese maples are budding and my perennials have started to poke up.

Tomorrow's storm is now forecasted 16-24"+.

Usually right around the first of April is when the weather turns a corner and we star getting 50+F days consistently. By May we should be up into the 70's and that's when things will take off.

Right now I can't do much. Still in snow mode. I do have bare open lawn, and a bag of seed...so I can't decide if I should throw some seed down before this 2 feet of snow comes in....or I shoud just wait til I can do a spring cleanup around the yard collecting a few bags of winter debris

Old 03-13-2017, 02:48 PM

Really wish PinInterest would stop sending me these emails about landscaping ideas this week. Photos of manicured lawns, lush greenery and overall general spring/summer outdoorsy stuff, isn't helping my temperament, considering a winter storm warning is now in effect here and my house is in the "at least" 12 inches zone for the next 24 hours. Cherry Blossoms, Dogwoods, blooming tulips, daffodils....all about to be wiped out around my area. Not a happy camper at NC211's house this week. At least there is alcohol to be had and a snow blower... My plan of attack tomorrow. Drink until I'm happy, use the snow blower to carve a path from the back door to the hot tub, and call it a day.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:50 PM

Though the one in Vienna was smaller, I am still surprised they closed it.

I too use to use various ones but since trying Speed Zone, I find it covers all the needs and I am amazed how it is fast acting. If you have never used it, maybe give it a try sometime.

I never use to apply 2 applications of crabgrass preventer, 90 days apart, but since then I typically never have any sprouting.

Quote:
I think you'll like what you find! Manassasas is the main store for them.

I've got a bit of a mix of herbicides. There are three I have at the moment. My thing is not wanting to hold up my seeding progress so I try to find ones that won't do that. Drive XLR8 is hands down the best I've ever seen for crabgrass no matter how big the bloom might be. I like Tenacity by Syngenta for the grassy weeds (torpedo grass) and other species along those lines. Both of them can do down along with new seeds and not harm them.

But for the chreapjng Charlie's and other hardy weeds, I am liking this TZone SE, which has 3 heavy duty killers mixed in including 2,4d. But needs a wide buffer around seeding. It'll kill off the hard to kill weeds though.

All of these are liquid via backpack sprayer.

Granular, I've never been disappointed with Caravan G for a combined herbicide and pesticide. If just needing herbicide, say for disease or fungus, Heritage G is amazing stuff! Caravan G is Heritage G with a pesticide added in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden