U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 08:02 AM

6,745 posts, read 5,889,688 times

Advertisements

Ok, got out before the storm and threw some seed down in some areas of my backyard that were thin. Literally less than 10 hours later, there's 2" of snow on top, and potentially up to 24" due in. I figure the upcoming melt/freeze cycles, and soggy ground will help draw the seed in better contact with the soil in the upcoming month when things finally start to warm up.

Worth a shot...plus I wanted to get rid of that bag of seed. Plus it felt good to break out the Spreader and dust it off.

Front yard is getting Crabgrass preventer later, so no seed there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 06:49 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,432,879 times
So how did things turnout! Snowblower get any use? Mine didn't with only 2" of snow, not the 12" called for initially.

Temps are back to normal this weekend, near 60', which will be welcome as this snow is just a memory. Having several shrubs being delivered this weekend so bring on spring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Really wish PinInterest would stop sending me these emails about landscaping ideas this week. Photos of manicured lawns, lush greenery and overall general spring/summer outdoorsy stuff, isn't helping my temperament, considering a winter storm warning is now in effect here and my house is in the "at least" 12 inches zone for the next 24 hours. Cherry Blossoms, Dogwoods, blooming tulips, daffodils....all about to be wiped out around my area. Not a happy camper at NC211's house this week. At least there is alcohol to be had and a snow blower... My plan of attack tomorrow. Drink until I'm happy, use the snow blower to carve a path from the back door to the hot tub, and call it a day.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:37 AM

6,745 posts, read 5,889,688 times
Oh yeah. We got about 12" of HEAVY snow, and then it turned to rain and turned it all into concrete this AM when it froze.

SO pretty much my yard is now covered with 8-12" of solid ice/sleet. I've got some good smow mounds around my property right now, so no lawn prep for me just yet.

Hopefully the freeze/thaw cycles over the next week or so work that seed I threw down in good contact with the soil.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 03-15-2017 at 08:03 AM..

Old 03-15-2017, 08:41 AM

52,947 posts, read 35,343,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Oh yeah. We got about 12" of HEAVY snow, and then it turned to rain and turned it all into concrete this AM when it froze.

SO pretty much my yard is now covered with 8-12" of solid ice/sleet. I've got some good smow mounds around my property right now, so no lawn prep for me just yet.

Hopefully the freeze/thaw cycles over the next week or so work that seed I threw down in good contact with the soil.

No Crabgrass Preventer spreading going on here. Where is the lawn? lol.

No idea when it will melt. Winters have been snowier and colder past 2 decades here. And we're having a Top 10 coldest March now with no above normal temps in sight.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:31 AM

1,054 posts, read 984,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
So how did things turnout! Snowblower get any use? Mine didn't with only 2" of snow, not the 12" called for initially.

Temps are back to normal this weekend, near 60', which will be welcome as this snow is just a memory. Having several shrubs being delivered this weekend so bring on spring!
Sat in the hut tub for 3 hours on Monday night while the storm was starting up . Might've been 32 degrees 10 feet above my head, but it was 103 10 inches below it!

Everyone used our snow blower yesterday as the snow was super heavy. We had probably 4 inches in our neck of the woods. Had it not been for the sleet that started around 3am and didn't stop until around 7am, we'd of easily had a foot. The sleet weighed it all down.

Have tarps over our tulip beds. Hopefully they'll be saved, but not counting on it at this point. Deer are basically standing in our back yard looking at us, waiting for their menus and appetizers. Interestingly enough though, I am kind've glad this has happened as it's bought me time for the interior painting project. I'm down to the basement area and on schedule. I know once I get outside to start working on the lawn, I won't be wanting to be inside painting anymore.

But underneath our trampoline, it's as green as it's ever been, and needs to be mowed!

Old 03-16-2017, 12:28 PM

Man, this waiting just sucks.....

Old 03-19-2017, 06:28 PM

Had to mow mine today, snow is all melted and gone.

Have you ever used Bayer Advanced 3-In-1 Insect, Disease & Mite Control? Suppose to provide 30 day coverage.

63' here on Tuesday.

70' on Saturday.

Noticed the wave of warm soil temps is returning...so glad I already got my crabgrass preventer down.

http://www.greencastonline.com/tools/soil-temperature

I am liking this: https://weather.com/news/weather/new...eather-company

April and May - Above Average Temps

June - Much above average temps

Quote:
Sat in the hut tub for 3 hours on Monday night while the storm was starting up . Might've been 32 degrees 10 feet above my head, but it was 103 10 inches below it!

Everyone used our snow blower yesterday as the snow was super heavy. We had probably 4 inches in our neck of the woods. Had it not been for the sleet that started around 3am and didn't stop until around 7am, we'd of easily had a foot. The sleet weighed it all down.

Have tarps over our tulip beds. Hopefully they'll be saved, but not counting on it at this point. Deer are basically standing in our back yard looking at us, waiting for their menus and appetizers. Interestingly enough though, I am kind've glad this has happened as it's bought me time for the interior painting project. I'm down to the basement area and on schedule. I know once I get outside to start working on the lawn, I won't be wanting to be inside painting anymore.

But underneath our trampoline, it's as green as it's ever been, and needs to be mowed!

Last edited by movin2Reston; 03-19-2017 at 06:39 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 08:42 AM

I tried the Bayer last year for our trees (granular) and I think it did a pretty good job, but think I put too much down around one of the trees because it struggled from there after. Heard it is really good stuff though. I am a fan of spraying down with neem oil now though via the sprayer. Bartlett Tree Service has kept a row of our leylands alive (16 years old now) after the round-up accident in 2012 by the previous owner, and they swear by the neem oil for mites and bugs.

I am taking Thursday off and going shopping to load up on the stuff for the yard this year. Planning on spending Saturday getting everything down on the lawn and hoping for another year of success. Hitting the lawn this week prior to with a fresh round of Drive XLR8 and Tenacity to hopefully kill off any seedlings already present before they get the chance to germinate. Have some clover that needs to be dealt with. I decided that after the new seeds have come up and established, I'll go after whatever weeds that survived with the stronger stuff that prevents new seeds from germinating. Likely towards the end of April. Then will hit with the pre-emergent.

I suspect we're going to have a bad crabgrass season again this year. I think it is going to be a scorcher of a summer here this year, perfect for crabgrass and weeds...

Old 03-20-2017, 05:53 PM

I think the Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub is nothing short of amazing. Only problem is my situation is I have too many trees and Shrubs.

This year I am going with 3-In-1 Insect, Disease & Mite Control, spraying twice in the summer 30 days apart.

My pride and joy is the Bayer Advanced 3 systemic products All-In-One Rose & Flower Care. Makes my roses like no other.

I also use it on all my flowering perrenials...amazing stuff. First application April 1, and then every 6 weeks throughout summer.

The granular form makes it very simple to use and highly effective I have yet to find another product even come close to let alone surpass the overall performance it offers.

Quote:
I tried the Bayer last year for our trees (granular) and I think it did a pretty good job, but think I put too much down around one of the trees because it struggled from there after. Heard it is really good stuff though. I am a fan of spraying down with neem oil now though via the sprayer. Bartlett Tree Service has kept a row of our leylands alive (16 years old now) after the round-up accident in 2012 by the previous owner, and they swear by the neem oil for mites and bugs.

I am taking Thursday off and going shopping to load up on the stuff for the yard this year. Planning on spending Saturday getting everything down on the lawn and hoping for another year of success. Hitting the lawn this week prior to with a fresh round of Drive XLR8 and Tenacity to hopefully kill off any seedlings already present before they get the chance to germinate. Have some clover that needs to be dealt with. I decided that after the new seeds have come up and established, I'll go after whatever weeds that survived with the stronger stuff that prevents new seeds from germinating. Likely towards the end of April. Then will hit with the pre-emergent.

I suspect we're going to have a bad crabgrass season again this year. I think it is going to be a scorcher of a summer here this year, perfect for crabgrass and weeds...

Old 03-20-2017, 05:56 PM

Regarding my previous post all of the warm temperatures for April and May and much above average for June, I also agree crabgrass is going to be thriving in the coming weeks and months.

Glad I got my first application of crabgrass preventer down several weeks ago and then I will follow up with a second application in late May.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden