Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 02:54 PM

83,274 posts, read 74,477,134 times

Advertisements

I was going to do this today since its nice and toasty in the upper 60s.......

But I checked the soil temp and this was the result... So I'm waiting

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 08:01 PM

7,419 posts, read 7,004,097 times
Wow, now that is a project.

Definitely a lot of work, and I'm sure you're glad it's all done.

Having my sprinkler system back on line in the next week or two.

Based on the current weather going to need it sooner than later.

Especially when I saw the next 90 day outlook for our area is above and then much above average temperatures.

Hope you were enjoying the above average temperatures today 80° and more of the same for tomorrow.

Was out at lunch today walking back and I noticed along the sidewalks all crabgrass that was 2 to 3 inches long already.

Looks like even though we had a late cooler snap recently, those much above average temperatures over the past month sure didn't stop crabgrass from sprouting.

Check your soil temps here: http://www.greencastonline.com/tools/soil-temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I'm back in business now. Mowed today for the first time this year. Quite happy with how the lawn has survived the winter. Put down 7 bags of soybean meal and 4 bags of alfalfa meal, each 50lb bags. Put down 3 bags of premium tall fescue and one bag of shade fescue. Hosed it all down with root master B1. Chickweeds should be gone in another week.

I'm happy to say that I can pass the golf ball test already in two areas that have become so dense that the mower struggled to bag it all.

Also relocated 21 boxwoods, and planted 30 golden mop tops and 30 wax leaf privet shrubs this weekend and brought the sprinklers back online. Off to the races now.

Tomorrow morning is going to suck. I am feeling every 43 year old bone in my body tonight, and they are all hurting.

Last edited by movin2Reston; 04-10-2017 at 08:10 PM..

Old 04-12-2017, 05:21 AM

What did you think of the 86' weather yesterday.

Crabgrass is thriving.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I'm back in business now. Mowed today for the first time this year. Quite happy with how the lawn has survived the winter. Put down 7 bags of soybean meal and 4 bags of alfalfa meal, each 50lb bags. Put down 3 bags of premium tall fescue and one bag of shade fescue. Hosed it all down with root master B1. Chickweeds should be gone in another week.

I'm happy to say that I can pass the golf ball test already in two areas that have become so dense that the mower struggled to bag it all.

Also relocated 21 boxwoods, and planted 30 golden mop tops and 30 wax leaf privet shrubs this weekend and brought the sprinklers back online. Off to the races now.

Tomorrow morning is going to suck. I am feeling every 43 year old bone in my body tonight, and they are all hurting.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:24 AM

Crabgrass in the area is thriving now with the warm temps during the past week.

MUCH above average....

Old 04-14-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Nope. My grass is still dormant "hay" at this point.
Any update on your grass progress there? Its Cold this morning again in 20s and 30s for us. Down here as well. Got the woodstove on for heat inside. But you can see the grass growing. Kinda amazing with soil temps in the low 40s still. Can't wait for Spring. I gotta throw the Lime & feed down now, cant wait longer.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:14 PM

Great weekend for lawn care, going up to 85' on Easter Sunday....30' above average.

No time to rest, the lawn is thriving and needs cut.

Hope everyone has a great weekend in the lawn....

Old 04-16-2017, 07:24 PM

The heat is on and crabgrass is flourishing, unless you already got your crabgrass preventer down that is...

Check your soil temperature:

Soil Temperature Maps | GreenCast | Syngenta

Old 04-17-2017, 05:40 AM

Wish more folks posted about their lawn, I would love to see others posting about it more.. Maybe its still too soon? Looks like it's just been 4 of us so far.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/misc....sted&t=2705302

Old 04-17-2017, 08:32 AM

15,677 posts, read 20,170,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Any update on your grass progress there? Its Cold this morning again in 20s and 30s for us. Down here as well. Got the woodstove on for heat inside. But you can see the grass growing. Kinda amazing with soil temps in the low 40s still. Can't wait for Spring. I gotta throw the Lime & feed down now, cant wait longer.

2 weeks ago, we had a nor-easter and snow on the ground. Temps around 29-32 degrees.

Yesterday (2 weeks to the day of the snowstorm), we hit 86 degrees, my grass is starting to grow pretty well, and I just put down ferts, and preemergent. My trees are budding, and everything literally is starting to take off and grow.

I did lose a bush over the winter. It's dead and brittle. Gotta dig it up this afternoon and select a replacement. Need to remulch my front edging as well.

Grass is not long enough to cut yet. We have some rain due this weeks, so the warmer temps, plus rain every other day should get things growing pretty well.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:25 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,503,989 times
My yard looks like a jungle at the moment, and smells like the city dump on a hot August day. But man, is it green!

I went very heavy on the soybean meal this year, put it down 10 days ago after I mowed for the first time. Grass is now more than double the height of when I mowed it, green as Ireland, and the sun is breaking down the soybean and alfalfa now (which stinks like you know what). I can't mow until this coming weekend. It's probably going to take 15 collection bags to do it too.

Neighbor's lawn who followed my advice on the soybean and alfalfa several weeks ago has now come in, and they're thrilled with the results so far. Looks like lush green carpet now. She has told nearly 30 of her friends in the neighborhood about this stuff. I suspect the entire neighborhood is about to stink like rotting trash for a few weeks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden