Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 08:19 AM

15,768 posts, read 20,403,064 times

Advertisements

Still snow all over the lawn here. Temps are in the 40's, but we actually have 3-5" forecast this coming weekend!!

I'm just itching to get out there and do things!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 12:14 PM

83,465 posts, read 75,066,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Still snow all over the lawn here. Temps are in the 40's, but we actually have 3-5" forecast this coming weekend!!

I'm just itching to get out there and do things!
Here too and more shockingly check out my pics from this morning just outside NYC. Coldest week on record. 5th coldest March in the area. I can't wait to do lawn stuff, this is nuts. Last year this time I was laying crabgrass down and dethatching. Mowed the lawn 1st week of April. When this year? May?

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Glad I got my first application of crabgrass preventer down several weeks ago

Hey, any damage to your lawn from the hard freeze this month? I saw South Carolina had some lawn damage, wondering if you had any there.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:22 PM

15,768 posts, read 20,403,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Here too and more shockingly check out my pics from this morning just outside NYC. Coldest week on record. 5th coldest March in the area. I can't wait to do lawn stuff, this is nuts. Last year this time I was laying crabgrass down and dethatching. Mowed the lawn 1st week of April. When this year? May?

Yup. Looks like my neighborhood too. it's melting VERY slowly as at the tail end of the storm, it turned to rain and froze into solid ice. The sun is just melting the crust down and it refreezes later with barely any significant melt. Not helping that it's been cloudy lately.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:02 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,539,853 times
I was able to get the weed killers sprayed onto the lawn yesterday. I'm going to be a few weeks late on my original timing expectations of starting with fertilization and seeds. Want to wait until my irrigation system is back online. That'll be 4/10. So I hit it with the herbicide instead to make sure I'm clear of weeds when I start. Tzone SE, Tenacity, and Drive XLR8 with a surfactant went down heavy yesterday. Should wipe out clover that is present, and anything germinating at this point and hold it off for a while. TZone SE had a 3-week buffer for new seeding applications. Perfect timing for when I plan to hit it all with the alfalfa, soybean, micorazea (sp) and tall fescue again. Will hose everything down with the microbial inoculate some point between now and then to get the soil chemistry back to level. If what I've read so far about that stuff is true, including the hundreds of reviews, it might be a real key to success. It's called Quantum VSC if you want to take a look on Amazon. They've got two versions, one (VSC) has hummus in it to loosen up compacted soils, and the other (light) doesn't. I've got both, as they say both seem to work best together. Using a dial hose sprayer/mixer to disburse, and will also add in the Root Master B1 to the mix to help. Trees seemed to really like that stuff over the winter.

I'm pretty sure the yard will be a flammable stinking mess in about a month, and hopefully a true knockout beauty in about 2 months. Hopefully what I'm doing will also help it all to be more naturally sustainable in the long run. Getting it and keeping it are two separate things!

Old 03-22-2017, 09:32 AM

I think you guys will like this comparison photo from here. Last year end of March-Early April I was taking care of the lawn, liming, raking and reseeding;... this year.... well.... waiting. lol

And now we have another arctic blast going on right now with lows tonight dipping to 20s and 30s down to North Carolina and Virginia again. Teens here.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:28 AM

We get it.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:07 PM

7,479 posts, read 7,120,110 times
Glad you were able to get the weed killer spray applied.

Overall my grass is looking very thick in all we needed to spot treat a couple weeds yesterday. Think I'm going with Gordon's again this season as I had great success with that last year. I don't get that many weeds so it works out even better.

Thanks for the suggestion and I will take a look at Amazon.

Can you believe it's going to be in the low 70s here on Saturday?

Not dropping below 60° all next week it's going to be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I was able to get the weed killers sprayed onto the lawn yesterday. I'm going to be a few weeks late on my original timing expectations of starting with fertilization and seeds. Want to wait until my irrigation system is back online. That'll be 4/10. So I hit it with the herbicide instead to make sure I'm clear of weeds when I start. Tzone SE, Tenacity, and Drive XLR8 with a surfactant went down heavy yesterday. Should wipe out clover that is present, and anything germinating at this point and hold it off for a while. TZone SE had a 3-week buffer for new seeding applications. Perfect timing for when I plan to hit it all with the alfalfa, soybean, micorazea (sp) and tall fescue again. Will hose everything down with the microbial inoculate some point between now and then to get the soil chemistry back to level. If what I've read so far about that stuff is true, including the hundreds of reviews, it might be a real key to success. It's called Quantum VSC if you want to take a look on Amazon. They've got two versions, one (VSC) has hummus in it to loosen up compacted soils, and the other (light) doesn't. I've got both, as they say both seem to work best together. Using a dial hose sprayer/mixer to disburse, and will also add in the Root Master B1 to the mix to help. Trees seemed to really like that stuff over the winter.

I'm pretty sure the yard will be a flammable stinking mess in about a month, and hopefully a true knockout beauty in about 2 months. Hopefully what I'm doing will also help it all to be more naturally sustainable in the long run. Getting it and keeping it are two separate things!

Old 03-23-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Can you believe it's going to be in the low 70s here on Saturday?.
What is the temp there this morning? 20s? I'm with you, sick of this cold. At least you don't have snow on the ground still. I'm still curious if you had any damage there. Also curious if you wait to do lawn stuff when temps are still dropping into the 20s and 30s. You put crabgrass down but do these cold temps interfere with its potency or results? Serious question.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Yup. Looks like my neighborhood too. it's melting VERY slowly .
Hey, do you have grass showing yet after that warm day we had 2 days ago?

I cannot wait until I see this again. I can't wait for the 1st cut actually.

From July 11th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Over 5 inches of rain in last 3.5 weeks has helped too!

But this is what it looks like this morning.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:41 PM

Reston, my backyard is starting to grow like crazy, thickening up and very green, while my front is basically still acting dormant. Strange because the front gets slightly more sunlight, and same fescue seeds for both. Only thing I can really think of is that Quantum Light I sprayed on the back yard a couple of weeks ago. Haven't done the front (yet). I'm beginning to wonder if this stuff isn't the real deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden