U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 01:02 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,432,879 times

Advertisements

Hard to believe, just 2-2 1/2 months away, but time to start planning for Spring 2017 Lawn Care.

Most important task, crabgrass prevention...my tried and true product is still Lesco Crabgrass Preventer 0-0-7. Avoid the mistake of thinking spring time is the time to be putting down nitrogen on the lawn.

https://youtu.be/EJNMeGWbbrQ?list=PL...DvrPEjZCc0PwhH

https://youtu.be/W_Yzr48RbHg?list=PL...DvrPEjZCc0PwhH

https://youtu.be/l9-dbE1uHLg?list=PL...DvrPEjZCc0PwhH

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 08:59 AM

1,053 posts, read 984,189 times
I can't wait for spring time to come back! Counting the days! I want the green grass and full trees back, like yesterday!

Old 01-21-2017, 06:55 AM

You and me both!

Which crabgrass preventer are you going with this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I can't wait for spring time to come back! Counting the days! I want the green grass and full trees back, like yesterday!

Old 01-23-2017, 05:45 AM

For the others in here, "movin2reston" and I are in the same town, which had had a pretty mild winter so far. Almost feels like the edge of winter / spring in some days. Makes it difficult for green thumbs like us to sit quietly and wait for things to start growing again!

I'm not sure what I'll use this year. Definitely want to use the backpack sprayer though, so I suspect some kind of surficant from southern ag. I had such tremendous results with that Drive XLR8 last fall with wiping out all of the the crab grass, I'll likely make a solution of it for a hand-held spray bottle for spit applications this year to have handy.

I need to learn about the timing for when I can out down the surficant and new seedlings too. This year, I'm going to over seed again, then cover with more alfalfa and soybean meal (like I normally do), but also add a fresh layer of compost dirt to the yard. Gonna have meadow farm drop a truck load off in the driveway and then wheelbarrow around the yard and spread it out.

I want the golf ball test this year for sure!

Old 01-24-2017, 10:20 AM

6,740 posts, read 5,883,406 times
Winter's been mild for me as well. Really only used the snowblower once this year. Despite being dormant, the lawn still looks pretty good.

Still formulating my springplan, but I need to dig some areas up to do some landscaping type work.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:28 PM

126 posts, read 55,256 times
I just moved to Omaha from West Texas. Before I moved down there I got a fantastic Bermuda lawn seeded in while landscaping my back yard.

Moving up here I am starting basically from scratch again as the house I bought has sparse grass of an unknown species, ton of mock strawberry that I need to try and fight back, a ton of weeds, and a lot of unevenness throughout the grade of the yard. Excited for a new challenge and to try to rehab with a new strain of grass, leaning heavily toward a tall fescue.

Hurry up and get here spring!

Old 01-28-2017, 06:28 AM

I couldn't agree more..My golf course is still green here and spring is around the corner. Heading to Lesco in about another 45 days for my crabgrass preventer.

Thinking of going with an application of top dressing come late Spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
For the others in here, "movin2reston" and I are in the same town, which had had a pretty mild winter so far. Almost feels like the edge of winter / spring in some days. Makes it difficult for green thumbs like us to sit quietly and wait for things to start growing again!

I'm not sure what I'll use this year. Definitely want to use the backpack sprayer though, so I suspect some kind of surficant from southern ag. I had such tremendous results with that Drive XLR8 last fall with wiping out all of the the crab grass, I'll likely make a solution of it for a hand-held spray bottle for spit applications this year to have handy.

I need to learn about the timing for when I can out down the surficant and new seedlings too. This year, I'm going to over seed again, then cover with more alfalfa and soybean meal (like I normally do), but also add a fresh layer of compost dirt to the yard. Gonna have meadow farm drop a truck load off in the driveway and then wheelbarrow around the yard and spread it out.

I want the golf ball test this year for sure!

Old 01-28-2017, 07:18 PM

Wow, my typos are really bad on this iPhone, thanks for not calling me out! I need to hire a teenager to write on this thing for me!

We dumped out the flower potting soul a few weeks ago and raked it into an area that is normally pretty shaded by tall v-birch trees. Wouldn't you know it, middle of frigggin January, and that area is as green as august again and I can see little sprouts of new grass coming up. It's like a tease of what's to come in a few more weeks!

Honestly my friend, give a few bags of that alfalfa meal and a few bags of soybean meal a try this year. I really think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what they can add to your already lush lawn! Loudoun Milling a few miles past Leesburg has a ton of both, as does Southern Stares in Manassas usually too. Won't be a wasted effort, I promise! Plus, your earthworms will love it too!

Old 01-28-2017, 07:28 PM

It took my lawn from this to this in about 3 weeks. Had those trees installed, then hit it all with the soybean and alfalfa. Second house it's done this for.
Attached Thumbnails
Spring 2017 Lawn Care - First Cutting and Crabgrass Preventer-img_5714.jpg   Spring 2017 Lawn Care - First Cutting and Crabgrass Preventer-img_5862.jpg  

Old 01-30-2017, 07:25 PM

6,361 posts, read 11,867,704 times
Won't that wash in to the neighbors yards as well? What if they don't want to use any chemicals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden