U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 09:36 AM

613 posts, read 874,697 times

Advertisements

I disagree with the notion that 'insects will only attack unhealthy plants' also. It's a nice idea though and I WISH it were true!

double6- Thanks for the tip re Earthboxes.. Did you use those outdoors or indoors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 09:55 AM

3,701 posts, read 3,593,900 times
Wow, this has been really interesting to read. I have only read on this forum because I'm a frustrated garden living in an apt. but I have always admired all of you who are hearty gardens.

I do have a couple of friends who have complained about their veggies not producing well over the past few years. One friend went away for a couple of weeks in the summer and asked me to check the garden and take what I wanted. I thought I had hit the jackpot... not. It was sad.

I have this fantasy of retiring and having a garden with lots of things growing. I guess I need to revamp my plan.

I appreciate reading everyone's experiences.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:57 AM

62,667 posts, read 68,750,040 times
I disagree about the statement about pesticides. Thank God we have them; without them we would have no gravel and rock in our yard, nothing but weeds. We do not use pesticides in our garden or I should say, very seldom. Our problem and have had had it for 20 years, so it isn't new are squash bugs. No, it isn't about rotating anything, we have lived in 3 houses, 3 different states in the past 20 years. It is rare we have had too much trouble with other insects. Japanese beetles have done a job on our beans a few years

My biggest problem is "yes it is getting harder to grow a good garden; it is called old age.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:03 AM

<<As in, pests/disease getting stronger to circumvent the chemicals.
And speaking of.. THAT may be really what this whole thing is about. Anyone know the scientific term for that phenomenon?>>

Re: my comments earlier.. You're right Zoisite- it's definitely related to adaptation or evolution.. but I was wondering if there is a specific word that describes how a virus/bacteria/other organism grows stronger and more tenacious to overcome or circumvent the defense that you put up against it. Like the phenomenon that's happening with antibiotics. Or mosquitoes, which are now apparently becoming immune to DEET. And that sort of thing. This is what seems to be happening with garden invaders (bug/weed/pathogen)- and this is what I'm wondering about: Is this one reason veg gardening has gotten more difficult in recent years- because the invaders have grown stronger after several generations of chemical herbicide/pesticide use? I mean I guess it's obvious to some degree, because it makes sense, biologically speaking. And you hear about the struggles of farmers having to use stronger chemicals over time (correct, or rumor?).. But I don't see many home gardeners taking about this.

Any scientists here...? (Maybe I need to post this in the Science forum.) If I can find the term I'm looking for, I'll post it here. Not sure one exists, but surely it must....(!)

Old 02-08-2017, 10:54 AM

3,809 posts, read 4,288,973 times
This thread reminds me of news segment that was on a few days ago. All the Oregon snow this winter caused many of the storage buildings to collapse under its weight so billions of stored onions have been lost. Plant onions in your garden as the price will soon double!

Last year, with little preparation I tossed some tomato plants in the yard and lost a few to snails. We had so many survive that we are still enjoying the sauce I made and froze which is better than anything from the jar.

I suspect some people today just don't have the time to pay attention to their soil and crop rotation. If your community has a Master Gardeners group I encourage you to attend their plant sale and talk to the growers for your local information.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:00 PM

4,313 posts, read 1,797,868 times
I used to have really great results gardening. I pretty much tried to stay organic and worked hard to feed my soil. Great for a while than things began to drop off. As they dropped and I aged I have finally decided it is not worth it any more and quit. Fortunately there are several fresh produce stands in my area.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:08 PM

1,726 posts, read 459,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Right, Got it. Monsanto is responsible for all the evil in the world. Except my garden area has never had any Monsanto products in it or within literally miles of it. My seeds that have poor germination aren't even outdoors. I germinate seeds inside my house under grow lights with my own potting soil that I make myself because I dislike the commercial potting soils.

My garden soil is heavily amended and I add minerals back into the soil. It's not like I don't know how to garden.

Insects will attack healthy plants, especially if there is nothing else attractive to eat nearby. Just because insects will go after weak plants does not mean that the won't feed off of healthy plants.
Where did I say that Monsanto "is responsible for all the evil in the world"?

Old 02-08-2017, 01:09 PM

2,096 posts, read 987,875 times
Well, I'm going out on a limb here and agree with Nor'Eastah. Rebuilding soil that has been depleted over time is very important to garden success. I have for years, used a great reference guide that explains the different fertilizers, micronutrients, and additives (amendments) needed for healthy, productive plant crops.
I've had crappy returns some years too. But as soon as I got back into taking care of the soil and allowing it to rest and restructure, I got bumper crops.

http://extension.umd.edu/sites/defau...ertilizers.pdf

Last edited by TerraDown; 02-08-2017 at 02:07 PM..

Old 02-08-2017, 01:13 PM

Also.. (not wanting to start a climate change firestorm here- so please resist folks, please and thank you!).. but I can't help but wonder if the increasingly warmer weather/ decrease of prolonged deep freezes- at least in many areas of the country- is NOT killing off pests & pathogens every winter, ... as (perhaps) it did more so in the past....?? So every year, these infestations just keep getting worse...?

For those of you who expect several hard freezes every year but are now not getting them, don't you wonder if that is causing an increase of pests/pathogens?

Old 02-08-2017, 01:50 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,095,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Well, I'm going out on a limb here and agree with Nor'Eastah. Rebuilding soil that has been depleted over time is very important to garden success. I have for years, used a great reference guide that explains the different fertilizers, micronutrients, and additives (amendments) needed for healthy, productive plant crops.
I've had crappy returns some years too. But as soon as I got back into taking care of the soil and allowing it to rest and restructure, I got bumper crops.

http://extension.umd.edu/sites/defau...ertilizers.pdf

I, and some other posters, are not challenging the claim that taking care of the soil produces better results.

I am challenging the claim that pests only attack plants growing in soil that is not taken care of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden