U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 11:29 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
25,841 posts, read 44,578,886 times

Advertisements

Yes, but I have a good idea for the reason. This year I have been plagued with Flea Beetles, for the first time in my greenhouse that I have been using for 5 years. The larvae eat the roots of seedlings, then the adults come up and chew my cucumber seedlings off at the base. With a combination of diatomaceous earth and Captain Jack's Deadbug Brew I have managed to control them for now, but had to replace 7 plants. Apparently they overwinter in the soil and eat the dead roots left from the previous year. It's almost impossible to get them all out in fall, but it looks like adding beneficial nematodes will help, so I'll try that in October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 12:23 PM

277 posts, read 710,317 times
Most years I can't get a single tomato, or, at the very best, I'll have a handful of cherry toms before the plant sub-comes to the heat or has blossom end rot (we have a short window where they thrive here in Phoenix - too hot and its hard to keep the watering up). I have a constant battle with hornworms or caterpillars of all kinds, pillbugs eating my strawberries, and its probably only a matter of time until the squash bugs get my squash. I try to pick as many caterpillars off as I can. Well the hornworms have a little more time yet, usually more into summer. (anyone use chickens to help with pest control?) But I suppose its just like that. Learning to be OK with my plants being holly or not always pretty fruit. This year, I do have some of my usual veggies but I have many more flowers just for pure enjoyment and less work. And I'm happier.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:45 PM

57,563 posts, read 39,961,244 times
I think I mentioned this before but it seems easier growing stuff in the 2000s or 1990s...

Another day of clouds and under 80F today.

Gardens and Crops not growing as should be, especially the Cukes, Peppers, and other warm sun loving veggies. Grass on the other hand is green.

Saturday July 22 Max: 85 Partly Sunny all day

Sunday: 80 Drizzle: Cloudy all day
Monday: 69 Rain: Cloudy all day
Tuesday: 68 Drizzle: Cloudy all day
Wednesday: 77 Sunny all day
Today Thursday: 77 Drizzle Cloudy all day

Tomorrow Friday: Clouds and Rain
Saturday: Clouds and Rain

Doesn't have to be a record cold or below normal summer for crops to be affected. Just takes 1 or 2 weeks to cut into growth and we already have a short growing season here.

Since March we've had clouds and rain more than Sunny dry days.

Nighttime clouds and temps contributing to being above normal for the month

Old 07-27-2017, 04:04 PM

15,248 posts, read 14,478,418 times
The only difference this year is that it's too cold for the tomatoes to ripen. I don't have room for much else, just beets and they're doing GREAT with all this ongoing rain. Parsley is great, flowers are great.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:13 PM

3,915 posts, read 2,255,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by once-upon-chicago View Post
I have a constant battle with hornworms or caterpillars of all kinds, pillbugs eating my strawberries, and its probably only a matter of time until the squash bugs get my squash. I try to pick as many caterpillars off as I can. Well the hornworms have a little more time yet, usually more into summer. (anyone use chickens to help with pest control?)
Chickens will eat the insect pests, and your plants too! Don't turn chickens loose with any plants you want to keep. But if you are willing to to handpick the caterpillars and throw them to the chickens in their pen, they will love you.

I have had a several bad years in my garden, with poor germination and plants dying from heat/drought. This year has been better so far. I ordered heirloom seeds from a catalog, bought seedlings from the farmer's market, added lots of rabbit manure to the soil, and made sure the ground never thoroughly dried out after our pretty good winter rains. Weather is good; I'm getting plenty of tomatoes, zucchini, green beans, and bell peppers.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:56 AM

Very interesting. I never related my growing seasons to the sun spots but totally makes sense now.

Past 10 yrs have been harder growing things.. Just more challenges. Mostly due to clouds and probably why night time lows have been higher above normal than daytime highs. Not to forget late starts as well with Cold snowy March's or cloudy Aprils, Rainy Mays, cold soil temps, & summer rains and drought too. It seemed easier back in the 2000s. I've been gardening every year since 2002.

While the seasons haven't gotten shorter per say, they have been challenging and the yields and quickness of ripening have been different past 8 yrs at least.

Low solar output means more clouds on Earth but why would it mean more here only? Wouldn't other areas experience what I am? Maybe they are?

Old 08-02-2017, 12:57 AM

19,361 posts, read 18,503,827 times
My spinach and radishes didn't do well this spring. My one remaining tomato plant is scrawny any none of the tomatoes have yet ripened. My zucchini has downy mildew. Heavy rain knocked the flowers off--twice. The parsley, dill, and basil are doing great. Flowers are good.

I really don't understand this. How can I have great herbs and flowers, and no ripe tomatoes? Not one.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My spinach and radishes didn't do well this spring. My one remaining tomato plant is scrawny any none of the tomatoes have yet ripened. My zucchini has downy mildew. Heavy rain knocked the flowers off--twice. The parsley, dill, and basil are doing great. Flowers are good.

I really don't understand this. How can I have great herbs and flowers, and no ripe tomatoes? Not one.

No location on your header. Curious where you are from.

Now August 2nd and no ripe tomato still. My neighbors haven't gotten one either. What's the point of growing them if you only have 1 month of yields.

Since I'm a weather nut and follow and track weather every day, I can contribute this to all the clouds and rain here since April and lack of days above 85 (only 9 in July). Also the coldest last week of July on record did not help. How can a max of 60s and 70s help ripen and grow things? It's like weather in May and we're just getting started in May

Old 08-02-2017, 04:53 AM

278 posts, read 52,245 times
My collard greens never fail me and proliferate like crazy. I do very well with carrots, onions, and other hardy vegetables too. I have never been successful with bell peppers (which is a shame because they are practically a daily staple for me). Tomatoes are great some years, not others. I've only really used natural compost and the dirt from my yard. My partner and I did our own compost bin for a few years but got lazy. We live in NE Minnesota so a very short summer and LOTS of cold. The soil isn't great here, but is ok.

When I lived in the great Red River Valley, the soil was rich and black and full of minerals. Gardening was really something there! I once planted three pumpkin seeds and by the end of summer had over sixty pumpkins I kid you not. I had to sell them as there was no way I could keep that many.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:25 PM
BMI

5,156 posts, read 2,702,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
No location on your header. Curious where you are from.

Now August 2nd and no ripe tomato still. My neighbors haven't gotten one either. What's the point of growing them if you only have 1 month of yields.

Since I'm a weather nut and follow and track weather every day, I can contribute this to all the clouds and rain here since April and lack of days above 85 (only 9 in July). Also the coldest last week of July on record did not help. How can a max of 60s and 70s help ripen and grow things? It's like weather in May and we're just getting started in May
I have had a few ripe ones, six in total, but all in all a bad year.
Sometimes I wonder, why bother, the rabbits and squirrels end up eating
more tomatoes than I do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden