U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2017, 06:40 AM

570 posts, read 275,070 times

Advertisements

I had not cut down a tree. But there was a very tall 5 story tree before my old home. It was rotten, although it sprout some fresh branches sometimes. It collaped totally by itself. The banging sounds were so loud.

I felt some parts of me had gone with that tree. And the place looked so sad. Because no more frequent bird or the squrials appearances.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 07:41 AM

3,126 posts, read 1,464,862 times
We have had a number of trees removed over the years. I haven't regretted any of them. They were all planted too close to the house and had gotten big and dangerous over the years. After seeing what happened to my BIL's house when a tree crashed into it during a storm, I have no desire to live through a nightmare like that. Last December, we had some large white pines removed from our front yard. They were damaged over the years and one was over 70' tall. I kept worrying about it in every storm. Although our front yard looks barren right now, I wasn't worried when we had 60 mph gusts of wind Sunday and yesterday, or when we have had high winds a couple of other times this winter. My neighbor, on the other hand, has some big pines that are leaning right toward his house. They actually creak in the wind. Some large branches have come flying off them in storms this winter. Fortunately, they are far enough away from my house.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:42 AM

18,518 posts, read 17,965,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
I have no valuable insight, but the thread title reminded me of a Dad Joke I read recently:

"I have the power to cut down a tree just by looking at it. It's true. I saw it with my own eyes."

What is the worst joke you have ever heard?

Old 02-14-2017, 10:18 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,323,651 times
on a opposite note i have planted trees that i wish now i would have not .. 30 years ago when i acquired my property it was mostly devoid of trees except for 5 large oaks of some kind in the front ..i planted several varieties of small leaf oaks and some maples in strategic places around my square acre and then lined the complete plot with pine trees .. i wanted some year round greenery .. a friend warned me i`d regret the pines .. boy was he right .. i planted them too close to each other and they shot straight up in no time .. they are 40 feet tall and i`m constantly picking up broken limbs and zillions of pine cones .. i wish i had planted spruce or cedar or anything else .. yes i would love for all those pines to come down ..

Old 02-14-2017, 11:41 AM

394 posts, read 1,337,154 times
We removed a large tree a few months ago due to it being too close to the house and the amount of leaves that needed to be cleaned up. I don't regret it at all. We did replace with two Japanese maples that when fully mature will fit the space.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:37 PM
bg7

7,196 posts, read 6,609,500 times
No, I won't cut down a tree until its dying (and even then only if it presents an actual danger, certainly not for just an inconvenience).

As for leaves... its part of nature. The great cycle of dieback and regrowth in the northern hemisphere. Without autumn leaves, spectacular in themselves, you wouldn't' have the glorious chartreuse new leaves in spring.

You might want to consider being just more laid back about it. Go with the cycle that's been going on for millions of years. Instead of trying to fit it in to a subcultural idea of neatness and conformity.

And yes, some people do regret killing large trees. They have a physical presence and are part of the visual landscape of your mind for that place. It will seem like a big hole at first for sure. And you can't replace a 50-75yr old tree. Firstly, the cost would be prohibitive (tens of thousands of dollars for a live tree of that age including planting). Secondly, mature trees of that age generally don't transplant. They are part of the heritage handed down by the previous owners, the community before you.

Most get removed because of human anxieties and OCD tidyness issues. Its a garden, not a living room.

Just one opinion, of course.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:03 PM

4,316 posts, read 1,590,051 times
I love trees, but I found out how far roots can spread and raise trouble with a septic system.

Found out last week..........$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 02-14-2017, 01:25 PM

21,370 posts, read 54,490,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Coldjensens, I believe that black walnut trees give off something from the roots that tends to kill off other plants.
Maybe you can research how fast it dissipates, now that they're gone, and give it another try.
Thank you I will look into that. I have not heard that before. The trees we planted were not near any black walnuts (or any other trees), but maybe they leach oils into the soil for a considerable distance.

The two things that will grow are cottonwoods and elm trees. Cottonwoods are like weeds, we can hardly keep them under control. The elms seem to like to grow right up against the foundation of our house. I am cosntnatly digging them out. It is annoying that only crummy trees grow well. Why do all teh good trees grow so slowly and die so easily while the crummy trees pop up like weeds?

Old 02-14-2017, 04:13 PM

2,002 posts, read 710,287 times
Cut down your least favorite and see how you feel. They sound very obnoxious to me.

Never regretted cutting down a tree.

Had a black locust and that dang tree dropped something year round, Big pods, then tiny leaves, then tiny stems the leaves were on. Then small sticks. Very old tree. I sold the house and it became someone else's issues. I think it was planted in 1956 when the house was built.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:52 PM

49 posts, read 25,686 times
In some cities like the last one we lived in, one had to get permission from the city to remove any tree over a certain size. The city actually removed a large cottonwood from our last house/yard only because my neighbor kept gritching about the awful leaves. It was near its end but still provided habitat for birds and other critters so hated to see it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden