U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 07:45 PM

42,034 posts, read 32,696,792 times

Advertisements

I cut down a hackberry tree once.

I'd have pee'd on it if my wife would have let me. We roasted hotdogs over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 10:17 PM

3,050 posts, read 1,568,879 times
I have cut many many trees over the years and never regretted any of them after a month or so. It can be a shock at first because it changes the look and feel but you get over it. Don't get me wrong - I love trees and we plant as many as we cut down. But some trees are just not ideal in some places.

One thing to be aware of - you need to consider the root ball. It can be just as expensive to get rid of the root ball as the tree itself. It is a lot of work and can damage near by things - sidewalks, stone work, house foundation, etc to pull up the root ball and its roots. If you cut down the tree you should also pull the root ball unless you are going to put a garden or grass where it was in which case you should still grind the trunk down flush.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:53 AM

19,400 posts, read 51,081,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Oh I regretted cutting one, lol. Years ago when my wife and I bought our first house we had a 60' tree in the middle of our 3 acre property that had branches that drooped like a willow. The tree was laden with this big, yellow/green 'brain' fruit each about the size of a softball. The branches had 1-2" long, hard woody thorns (spikes I called them). I was forever blowing out my lawnmower tires, getting cut by the branches etc..

I didn't dare cut it down my self because the branches/canopy was as wide as the tree was tall and they drooped down- I would have no exit route, and if I did I feared getting thrashed by the spikes. So I paid a guy $60 to cut it down and cut into firewood. Guy said that was the hardest wood he ever cut.

So we had a wood stove, and the following year I started burning it in the woodstove. No kidding- it threw showers of sparks when it burned.

I had a chance to have our local extension agent come out to our property- I wanted to come up with a plan to eradicate a noxious tree infestation- we had a ton of those obnoxious 'tree of heavens'. When the guy showed up he noticed the stack of firewood and said- "Hey- how big was that osage orange tree?" I told him and he just chuckled. He said a Osage that straight and tall would have been valuable for custom wood- especially bow makers. He said normally they are all twisted and knotted up, and it's rare to see a straight, tall one.

Duh. I burned over $1,000 worth of lumber in my woodstove.
I think those may be the trees we call Monkey brain trees. The drop lumpy big fruit of some kind. I do not think you can eat them, but they are fun to throw at each other. There are several huge monkey brain trees around our island. I think they must have been popular 100 years ago. I did not know they have thorns. They are so big, all you can really see are the trunks. Fairly pretty trees though. However they do make a mess on the roads.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I have cut many many trees over the years and never regretted any of them after a month or so. It can be a shock at first because it changes the look and feel but you get over it. Don't get me wrong - I love trees and we plant as many as we cut down. But some trees are just not ideal in some places.

One thing to be aware of - you need to consider the root ball. It can be just as expensive to get rid of the root ball as the tree itself. It is a lot of work and can damage near by things - sidewalks, stone work, house foundation, etc to pull up the root ball and its roots. If you cut down the tree you should also pull the root ball unless you are going to put a garden or grass where it was in which case you should still grind the trunk down flush.
Too true. If you do not get rid of the root ball, you will regret it. some day you will want to put in a tree, flowers, sprinkler, or something and the roots will make life miserable for you. The ones we did not get rid of and just buried, coupled with a really dumb idea of bringing in some broken up concrete to supply fill and stabilize our really squishy clay driveway/yard, has been a constant headache. I considered having them come dig everything up and re-grade the entire property about 3-4 feet deep just to get rid of them (also to get some decent soil mixed in with the pottery clay that is our yard).

One remarkable thing we found about the stump/root ball is there are hard to get rid of. They do not rot and it you burn them they are really hard to get burning and then the sit and smolder more than flaming and can burn for weeks or months. If you have someone yank them out (we had a back hoe pull a to of them out), be sure to have a dumpster to haul them off. We burned a few dozen of them. The smaller ones burned up, but the bigger ones just kept burning and burning. The fire Marshall came by and said it is illegal to burn them, so we had to soak them and haul them off. It was pretty hard to get them to stop burning too. Give them a good soaking, look like it is completely out, come back two days later and it is smoking again.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
on a opposite note i have planted trees that i wish now i would have not .. 30 years ago when i acquired my property it was mostly devoid of trees except for 5 large oaks of some kind in the front ..i planted several varieties of small leaf oaks and some maples in strategic places around my square acre and then lined the complete plot with pine trees .. i wanted some year round greenery .. a friend warned me i`d regret the pines .. boy was he right .. i planted them too close to each other and they shot straight up in no time .. they are 40 feet tall and i`m constantly picking up broken limbs and zillions of pine cones .. i wish i had planted spruce or cedar or anything else .. yes i would love for all those pines to come down ..
When I was a kid, my dad kept planting stupid little maple trees all over the yard. He dug them up when we visited Grandpa and Grandmas house because they had saplings popping up all over the yard. We also planted all kinds of pine trees you got at school for $1 on earth day. They were basically sticks that you planted by making a slot wiggling a shovel back and forth. then you were stuck watering them forever. It annoyed me and I thought it was stupid.

Some of them turned out to be sliver maples which are generally awful trees. They always have dead branches and have pieces falling out of the tree constantly. Still now, those stupid maples are all 30'-40' or more tall and the pine trees, especialy the blue spruce are massive (70' maybe?). He now has one of the most beautiful yards you will ever see. One good thing about the silver maples they have a very short trunk and then they branch out almost immediately. This makes them the best climbing tree ever.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:19 AM

2,222 posts, read 1,928,022 times
I like pecan trees, but not near the house. I would cut it down ASAP and plant better trees in a better location so they get some growth on them before you have to sell the house. I might even plant a couple of the more permanent type trees that live a long time along with a couple of the short lived trees that grow very fast, but die in ten years. Plant the short lived trees for visuals, but realize that they will cut down so give the prime spots to the longer lived trees.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:32 PM

2,459 posts, read 1,032,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
When I was a kid, my dad kept planting stupid little maple trees all over the yard. He dug them up when we visited Grandpa and Grandmas house because they had saplings popping up all over the yard. We also planted all kinds of pine trees you got at school for $1 on earth day. They were basically sticks that you planted by making a slot wiggling a shovel back and forth. then you were stuck watering them forever. It annoyed me and I thought it was stupid.

Some of them turned out to be sliver maples which are generally awful trees. They always have dead branches and have pieces falling out of the tree constantly. Still now, those stupid maples are all 30'-40' or more tall and the pine trees, especialy the blue spruce are massive (70' maybe?). He now has one of the most beautiful yards you will ever see. One good thing about the silver maples they have a very short trunk and then they branch out almost immediately. This makes them the best climbing tree ever.
My neighbor has a bunch of Norway maples that are now 50-60 years old. I hate them. The dang roots travel along the surface and come into my yard, making me trip on them. He never maintained them, so they have too many trunks, most of which are weak, and which make the tree dangerous. We just paid to have 2 of them hauled out (with the neighbor's OK, of course) because they were dropping giant branches in every storm, and it was just a matter of time before our car or house got crushed. Neighbor wasn't ever going to do anything about them. As for his giant, sickly pine trees that creak and sway with every gust of wind, well, they are nice and far from my house.

He just paid bunch of $$$ to have maple roots cleared out of his septic system, too.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:15 AM

4,712 posts, read 4,977,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Oh I regretted cutting one, lol. Years ago when my wife and I bought our first house we had a 60' tree in the middle of our 3 acre property that had branches that drooped like a willow. The tree was laden with this big, yellow/green 'brain' fruit each about the size of a softball. The branches had 1-2" long, hard woody thorns (spikes I called them). I was forever blowing out my lawnmower tires, getting cut by the branches etc..

I didn't dare cut it down my self because the branches/canopy was as wide as the tree was tall and they drooped down- I would have no exit route, and if I did I feared getting thrashed by the spikes. So I paid a guy $60 to cut it down and cut into firewood. Guy said that was the hardest wood he ever cut.

So we had a wood stove, and the following year I started burning it in the woodstove. No kidding- it threw showers of sparks when it burned.

I had a chance to have our local extension agent come out to our property- I wanted to come up with a plan to eradicate a noxious tree infestation- we had a ton of those obnoxious 'tree of heavens'. When the guy showed up he noticed the stack of firewood and said- "Hey- how big was that osage orange tree?" I told him and he just chuckled. He said a Osage that straight and tall would have been valuable for custom wood- especially bow makers. He said normally they are all twisted and knotted up, and it's rare to see a straight, tall one.

Duh. I burned over $1,000 worth of lumber in my woodstove.
I've heard it described as the strongest wood in North America. A friend and I know where some of those trees are but we're not telling. We think people will just sneak in and cut them down for the wood.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:43 AM
Status: "Have you ever seen so many Indians? - G.A. Custer" (set 28 days ago)

16,812 posts, read 16,206,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liyagrey View Post
every year planet new trees and take care of there ...

I sure wood

Old 02-17-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liyagrey View Post
every year planet new trees and take care of there ...
Trees, growth and linger. Potato spuds look like a finger. My daughter is a great singer.

(We are trying our hand at obscure poetry right?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden