Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 12:01 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times

Advertisements

We cut down two cheap trees that builder planted in my yard to hold the slope. No regrets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 01:32 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
We cut down two cheap trees that builder planted in my yard to hold the slope. No regrets.
Right now we have four quaken aspen trees (https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/Q...iABEgL7j_D_BwE) too close to our house and driveway - even though they would not fall and hit our house. The problem with them are their roots and the little trees (suckers) that spring up from everyplace the roots grow: Quaking Aspen Tree Care | Home Guides | SF Gate. I can cut our lawn today and tomorrow I will have one foot tall small aspen trees sprouting out the lawn. Worse yet is that the roots love our septic system and are now breaking through a relatively new asphalt driveway (that we recently had paved for $15K). In three weeks I will have some time off and those four trees will probably be history.

Trees are great; if it is the right tree in the right place. As homeowners we do not want problems and when trees cause too many problems; then it is time to go.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:10 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Oh boy. I planted a Quaking Aspen very very near the sunroom to get shade, but it died. Now I am glad.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:59 AM

240 posts, read 253,785 times
Last year, I removed a Norwegian maple that was growing in my parents' (tiny) front yard. The previous owner, who died a few years ago, had planted it in a terrible location where it barely had any space (about seven feet between the house and a hedge bordering a three foot ledge). I definitely felt bad about it, but it had to be done, I guess.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 798 times
I am so sad about letting my husband cut two trees from the front side of our home. It feels like a crime and looks like a desert

Old 04-12-2018, 11:56 PM

911 posts, read 262,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis
leave them be, trees don't grow on...er, never mind
Yeah i agree......... The only tress I knock down are what I call 'EASY TREES' (Tress that are dead or amost that havent fallen yet) -- I like to go in the woods and find one and wiggle it until she falls.........

Old 04-17-2018, 07:02 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times
We had water oaks falling in our woods next to our lawn on the side, they had grown close together in a group. I thought the closeness was the problem but I learned they rot from within as they get older. We had four on the ground removed and four standing taken down before they fell, it was only a matter of time. All those that fell were beautiful in full leaf before toppling over in the spring as the ground softened from rain.

I didn’t feel bad about the water oaks, they had to go, but I did feel guilty about two different trees behind them. The arborist said they were solid trees that would never fall, but we’re quite unsightly. They had gnarly trunks with growth only near the the top from competing for the sunlight with the water oaks. We decided to have them removed in the end. I love trees and cutting those two down for cosmetic reasons bothered me.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:10 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
The tree in my front yard has not bloomed yet. I am giving it until June 1 and then we will remove it. Looked great last year, this year, nada.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:39 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Default Have you cut down a tree and regretted it?

No. I know when they have to come down. Even when they're a bit of a nuisance, I let them stay.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:49 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
The tree in my front yard has not bloomed yet. I am giving it until June 1 and then we will remove it. Looked great last year, this year, nada.
What if it's just having a bad year? It hasn't been there a long time in tree years.

Do you fertilize it? Top dress the root zone with compost? The poor damn thing has survived your lawn maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden