U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 07:21 AM

16 posts, read 23,761 times

Advertisements

I have two large trees in my backyard. One is a pecan tree and I think the other is some sort of oak. They are tall, about 15 inches in diameter each, and located right next to each other. There is only about 2 ft. between the trunks. I'm seriously thinking about having them removed.

Has anyone cut down a tree and then regretted it?

Here are the issues I have with the trees:
1. They are so close to our house that the limbs create the perfect way for squirrels to get on our roof/house.
2. I had the trees trimmed last year, and the arborist suggested that for the health of the trees, I leave as many branches as possible. It has only been a year and I am in need of another trim.
3. The amount of leaves is insane. For 3 years I've been raking, blowing, mulching, etc these leaves. There isn't enough space under the trees to pile the leaves there, so 80% of the leaves have to be picked up and brought to the curb. This is probably my number one issue, because it makes my not love living in this house. I have gotten quotes to have the yard work done, and it is $80-100 each time they come.
4. There is so much shade that grass wont grow in some spots.
5. They are right in the middle of the yard, blocking free space to play sports or to just enjoy the lawn.

I'm not concerned about losing too much shade because there are other large trees in a common area just beyond our lot.

I am concerned about making the decision to cut them down and regretting it, but I can't think of any actual reasons why I would regret it.

If you've cut down a tree, please let me know what your experience was. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 08:37 AM

2,322 posts, read 1,598,981 times
is the pecan tree productive ? .. is the oak tree a large leaf or a small leaf tree ?.. i would hesitate to remove a small leaf oak such as a pin oak or water oak but would have no problem ridding myself of large leaf trees ..

Old 02-13-2017, 09:08 AM

34,539 posts, read 42,708,506 times
Do it.
After you remove them, plant 2 new trees that are positioned and sized appropriately for shade and eye appeal.
It is so sad to see trees that were planted too close to houses and then lean away from the building, or damage foundations or otherwise are dangerous.
We just had two mature trees taken out of our backyard. We hated to do it, because we lost some privacy. It had to be done, but we're putting in some shrubs and a dogwood tree and other plants to make the birds bees and critters happy.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:31 AM

20,344 posts, read 20,421,819 times
leave them be, trees don't grow on...er, never mind

Old 02-13-2017, 09:33 AM

24,717 posts, read 59,579,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybemoving13 View Post
Has anyone cut down a tree and then regretted it?

If you've cut down a tree, please let me know what your experience was. Thanks!

We bought our house for $1 but had to move it to different land. We bought some beautiful wooded property (in February). We carefully planned a route to bring the house onto the property to minimize the numbr of mature trees we woudl have to remove. We even got permission from an adjoining property owner to swing out on their property to avoid a beautiful old oak tree on our property.

Spring came and we discovered our wooded property was mostly Ash trees. A pest (bug) swept through Michigan a few years earlier and killed ever Ash tree. We ended up cutting down 42 dead ash trees.

The township required that we measure every tree on our property and tag every tree over 24" in diameter. We then had to make a map of all the trees and tell them which ones we woudl remove. We tagged the trees for the township with pink ribbons.

When the tree guy was ready to come out to the lot, we tagged the trees to remove with blue ribbons. I very carefully explained "Pink ribbons are just for the township, blue ribbons are to be removed." He must have been thinking about the Tigers at the time.

During the tree removal I came out to see how things were going. A big skid steer was laying on its side. The tree guy was swearing at his crew and at life in general. I asked what happened. "I tired to bpick up that big F'ing oak tree you had us cut down and it was too heavy for the skid steer and the *(&($@# thing tipped over. #&*(^ *#(* @#^^ *#*&(!

"Why did you cut down our oak tree?"

"What do you mean? It had a F'ing ribbon in it."

"It had a pink ribbon. I said cut the trees with blue ribbons only, Pink ribbons are for the township retirements."

"#$&^*&^ #$*&*& Piunk ribbons %&%_(&"

")#(%&*% *$& ^%@ my oak tree #$(*^& stupid $%@**&"

"#(*&)^ #&#(& *($^@*% you"

"&*(#^*%$ %$# #*^ you"

etcetera.

In the end there was nothing we could do. He could not put the tree back. We eventually got done being mad at each other and he finished the job and did an otherwise very good job.

We still had a handful of huge black walnut trees, some elm trees, anda few crab apple trees, plus the wood in back. We very carefully worked around these remaining trees. We paid the contractor extra to modify some of the work the protect the trees. However soon after, most of the black walnut trees and all of the crab apple trees died. Now we only have a few elms and some dying black walnut trees left. I planted a dogwood - it died. Planted some maples - they died. Hired a nursery company to plant a sizable magnolia - it died after a year.

There is one remaining big oak at the other corner of our land. Not sure it is on our property. It was being killed by a giant poison ivy vine, so I hacked it off and the oak is recovering, but the county may cut it down soon to put in a ditch.

At this rate, our wooded lot will have no trees at all in the front yard.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:43 AM

Coldjensens, I believe that black walnut trees give off something from the roots that tends to kill off other plants.
Maybe you can research how fast it dissipates, now that they're gone, and give it another try.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:00 AM

4,743 posts, read 8,437,192 times
If you want to cut them down, go for it. You give a few good reasons: too close to the house, makes you not love your home, and maintenance.

I wish I had cut down some trees that were too close to the house. Instead of coming down on my terms, a tornado knocked the trees into my house. After, I planted some crapemyrtles and small native trees.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:20 AM

10,945 posts, read 14,589,323 times
Oh I regretted cutting one, lol. Years ago when my wife and I bought our first house we had a 60' tree in the middle of our 3 acre property that had branches that drooped like a willow. The tree was laden with this big, yellow/green 'brain' fruit each about the size of a softball. The branches had 1-2" long, hard woody thorns (spikes I called them). I was forever blowing out my lawnmower tires, getting cut by the branches etc..

I didn't dare cut it down my self because the branches/canopy was as wide as the tree was tall and they drooped down- I would have no exit route, and if I did I feared getting thrashed by the spikes. So I paid a guy $60 to cut it down and cut into firewood. Guy said that was the hardest wood he ever cut.

So we had a wood stove, and the following year I started burning it in the woodstove. No kidding- it threw showers of sparks when it burned.

I had a chance to have our local extension agent come out to our property- I wanted to come up with a plan to eradicate a noxious tree infestation- we had a ton of those obnoxious 'tree of heavens'. When the guy showed up he noticed the stack of firewood and said- "Hey- how big was that osage orange tree?" I told him and he just chuckled. He said a Osage that straight and tall would have been valuable for custom wood- especially bow makers. He said normally they are all twisted and knotted up, and it's rare to see a straight, tall one.

Duh. I burned over $1,000 worth of lumber in my woodstove.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:27 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,178,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Coldjensens, I believe that black walnut trees give off something from the roots that tends to kill off other plants.
Maybe you can research how fast it dissipates, now that they're gone, and give it another try.

They do indeed. I can unfortunately vouch for that. Some plants/trees don't seem to be affected by it but others definitely are. You need to research carefully what will thrive in any place a black walnut is or has been - since I think it can take years for the poison to diminish after the tree is removed because you can't get all the roots out of the ground. And the spread of the roots can be amazing - hundreds of feet from a mature black walnut!

Old 02-13-2017, 10:45 AM

I have no regrets but my husband is in mourning for a very lovely autumn leaf maple that I insisted be cut down while we had the tree guys here for the two big trees. Some idiot planted it inside the flower bed, probably thinking it would stay small, but noooo.
So, we had two of these in the front yard. You know how one, or three or five are more pleasing to the eye? Well this second maple, besides being too close to the house, was like a dissonant chord every time I looked at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or