U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2017, 03:04 PM

817 posts, read 725,342 times

Advertisements

Background - Last year I had a really bad weed problem, it was a bit scary. I ended up hiring a professional. The guy said I needed to sign a contract where I would pay for 7 treatments (1 per month). He came and looked at my lawn and said I had a mix of almost every type of weed possible. Either way, after 2 treatments, my lawn was 100% repaired. However, I still had to pay for 5 other treatments, even though it seemingly did nothing. For what it's worth, each treatment took less than 5minutes, they were super quick for ~7500sqft lawn. I don't want to hire him again because I want to save money.

As of today, my lawn is still dormant (it's still brown, no gress), but I have weeds starting to grow on the side of my lawn (side as in where it touches concrete). It's no where near as bad as it was last year, and it seems like I only have 1 or 2 types of weeds.

How would you recommend me treat it myself? I don't want to kill my grass. Lowe's & Home Depot has like 100+ products I never know what to get
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 01:50 PM

28,747 posts, read 35,795,862 times
It is super easy to use a weed and feed every year. Once you invest in a spreader, you can do a few treatments every year and you're done. Just buy Scott's and follow the guidelines for what to apply when.
You must know what kind of grass you have. For example, the southern grasses are different from the northern ones.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:19 AM

1,122 posts, read 1,034,691 times
Our lawn is about three times your size, and got overtaken last summer by crab grass and other weeds. I say our lawn size not to brag, but to give you a point of reference for how much (or how little actually) of the "good stuff" you'll actually need for a few years of coverage. I was in the same boat as you. For 1/5th the cost of hiring a pro every time, I wanted to do this myself. There are other posts on here from me in greater detail on this, but in short:

Buy a decent sprayer. Buy these two herbicides - Drive XLR8 and Tenacity by Syngenta. You can google each for more info. Find a co-op store near you to buy them, they don't sell this stuff in the big box store. It might feel expensive at first, but read the label for dilution rates. It doesn't take much of either to treat your entire lawn. My point about my lawn size? I've used each once and completely wiped out my problems, and have enough left over to treat my lawn at least 3 more times.

But I do warn you as well - you need to understand what type of grass you have. This stuff works on nearly all grass types, but not all types and can kill off a couple of grass types. Just read the label to make sure.

I also like these two herbicides because I can seed at the same time, which makes them unique. Most herbicides can't be used on new seeding for several weeks before or after applying new seeds.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:27 AM

28,747 posts, read 35,795,862 times
...and be a little patient, too. It is a process to kill the undesirables, and for the good grass to crowd out the bad stuff.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:24 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,517,095 times
I would advise against a Weed and Feed. Either fertilize or treat for weeds. Not sure where your located or type of grass. Here in the mid Atlantic, you want to avoid a lot of nitrogen in the spring. Treat for weeds with a liquid herbicide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Background - Last year I had a really bad weed problem, it was a bit scary. I ended up hiring a professional. The guy said I needed to sign a contract where I would pay for 7 treatments (1 per month). He came and looked at my lawn and said I had a mix of almost every type of weed possible. Either way, after 2 treatments, my lawn was 100% repaired. However, I still had to pay for 5 other treatments, even though it seemingly did nothing. For what it's worth, each treatment took less than 5minutes, they were super quick for ~7500sqft lawn. I don't want to hire him again because I want to save money.

As of today, my lawn is still dormant (it's still brown, no gress), but I have weeds starting to grow on the side of my lawn (side as in where it touches concrete). It's no where near as bad as it was last year, and it seems like I only have 1 or 2 types of weeds.

How would you recommend me treat it myself? I don't want to kill my grass. Lowe's & Home Depot has like 100+ products I never know what to get

Old 03-23-2017, 08:52 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,049,502 times
weed and feed are the worst money wasting products ever dreamed up by suits in a board room.

you generally don't want to fertilize your weeds and for some areas, people are laying that down before the lawn comes out of dormancy.

if you are in a warm climate and have bermuda grass (it tends to have runners that escape from the lawn and get on the sidewalk) you can spray roundup when the grass is still brown (might already be too late by now) on a day where the temperature gets over 50F.

During the growing season you can switch over to something that kills weeds and leaves grass alone (such as 2,4-d).

Once the weeds are treated, put down the fertilizer.

Do get a soil sample and bring it to your cooperative extension to ensure there's not other issues you need to address like over acidic soil which would prevent the grass from using the fertilizer you lay down.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:21 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,517,095 times
When it comes to a granular product of weed and feed I would definitely avoid. However you can put down fertilizer the same day as applying a liquid weed killer which would be far more effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
weed and feed are the worst money wasting products ever dreamed up by suits in a board room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden