U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 12:29 PM

2,204 posts, read 1,591,536 times

Advertisements

At what soil temperature do most plants begin to grow, for example, grasses, flowers and other plants, is there a certain threshold beyond which most or all plants begin to germinate and grow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 12:46 PM

4,316 posts, read 2,174,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
At what soil temperature do most plants begin to grow, for example, grasses, flowers and other plants, is there a certain threshold beyond which most or all plants begin to germinate and grow
there is a difference between plants regarding this .........thus different planting dates.

Even a difference in corn

Field corn 52 degrees
Sweet corn 55 degrees

(soil temp at 2 inch depth for germination )

Old 02-17-2017, 12:59 PM

65,226 posts, read 47,574,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I started a thread on soil temps but doesn't look like there was interest. lol Thought it would be helpful.

Soil Temperature, Local, Maps, and Links

On your question, I think each plant has its own criteria but I would think soil temp above mid 40s is ideal for the "start" of everything. Also note, its not just about the surface. Pick up an inexpensive thermometer and measure it. Keep track of it. Maybe do it once or twice a week? Get a measurement at 1" down and 4 inches down.

Check this out. Current soil temps are pretty much in the 30s everywhere in Northeast and most of Ohio Valley.

but check out by Sunday. This model from my paid software is showing this as the average soil temp from surface to 4 inches down. Wow at the 50s! It's a tease because cold is coming back and soil temps drop down fast by end of month.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,524 posts, read 50,902,464 times
We have been in the 40s the last couple of weeks, high 30s at night. The grass is growing, and I see the mums, Hydrangeas and roses starting to sprout. We have tulips about 4" high. All of those will start at a much lower temperature than the vegetables, which I cannot plant until the soil is in the 50s, about May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden