U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 12:08 AM

240 posts, read 68,349 times

Advertisements

I will! Just planted the bulbs so I guess it's wait and see time! Someone told me her lilies flourished despite being in a partial shade area so I hope I can replicate the experience. My balcony faces East but is open on three sides so it gets a constant breeze. Added some new containers over the weekend, starting with some hardy shade/partial shade plants to see which ones thrive. I'm testing some Vinca minor, Forget-me-nots, and lilyturf. It's the survival of the fittest, as they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 02:13 AM

381 posts, read 91,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilide View Post
I'm going to try that this year. What kind of strawberries do you grow?

I have some wild strawberries from our summer castle and then 1 garden strawberry which I like. I also tried others but did not like their taste.

If you can play with 2+ years strawberries (winter between or not) that gives you more options but there is some good 1 year/monthly strawberries available too.

(I am not familiar with proper garden terms in English)

Old 03-11-2017, 07:18 PM

687 posts, read 330,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
I will! Just planted the bulbs so I guess it's wait and see time! Someone told me her lilies flourished despite being in a partial shade area so I hope I can replicate the experience. My balcony faces East but is open on three sides so it gets a constant breeze. Added some new containers over the weekend, starting with some hardy shade/partial shade plants to see which ones thrive. I'm testing some Vinca minor, Forget-me-nots, and lilyturf. It's the survival of the fittest, as they say.
Sounds like a lot to start at once! The gardener's attitude is probably a good one to have in life... sow and see what comes, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerDarling View Post
I have some wild strawberries from our summer castle and then 1 garden strawberry which I like. I also tried others but did not like their taste.

If you can play with 2+ years strawberries (winter between or not) that gives you more options but there is some good 1 year/monthly strawberries available too.

(I am not familiar with proper garden terms in English)
Wild strawberries are the alpine sort, I think : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragaria_vesca

My seeds for Mignonette strawberries came in the mail today. They are supposed to be good for containers because they are small and don't trail. They are supposed to fruit in the first season, too. We'll see!

Old 03-12-2017, 12:47 AM

381 posts, read 91,430 times
Quote:

Wild strawberries are the alpine sort, I think : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragaria_vesca

My seeds for Mignonette strawberries came in the mail today. They are supposed to be good for containers because they are small and don't trail. They are supposed to fruit in the first season, too. We'll see!
Yes, wild strawberries are really yummy!

Best luck

Old 03-12-2017, 04:41 PM

238 posts, read 104,384 times
Balconies are difficult environments to grow in. Think wind-swept cliffs and stunted twisted trees and scrub. I remember one trip I took to a remote hill where we arrived in a helicopter. We were walking on a thick carpet of scrubby, woody growth that clung to the soil. The naturalist identified the species and I was dumbfounded. Meleleuca, which I am familiar with in Florida gets to be a large tree, 50'-60' tall and 24"-36" diameter. Here on the windswept hill was only a foot tall.

I would recommend bonsai.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a lot to start at once! The gardener's attitude is probably a good one to have in life... sow and see what comes, haha.
Definitely my approach to the container garden project. We don't have a need for a landscaper/gardener anymore now that we've moved into a condo so I have been doing the balcony gardening all by myself. It's quite fun! And I got to incorporate turquoise into our home's color story by using a couple big turquoise planters in the balcony. The vinca minor is already blooming, will see how the other plants do... survival of the fittest!

Old 03-15-2017, 03:47 PM

17,440 posts, read 16,825,954 times
What size pots? When I lived in zone 8--near 7b--I was afraid to put anything in small ones. The 9" pots had to be watered twice a day, but they got full sun.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:19 PM

Gerania, I have a few pots. One is a 10" round pot that I put in an 18" tall (about 12" diameter) turquoise planter (the smaller of the two turquoise planters). I put an inverted pot inside the turquoise container to elevate the pot and help aerate/drain. The soil in that one has been getting daily mists from the rain. I have a rectangular planter that holds three 10" cube pots. I haven't needed to water that one yet (again, rain). And finally I have an 18" tall turquoise container that is maybe 16" in diameter at the widest part. I used a planter insert in that one to decrease the amount of soil I use and help drain/aerate. With the planter insert I only needed to fill about 3/4 of the planter, and I used up a bag of potting soil (about 20-22 dry quarts).

The balcony is east facing and gets shade most of the day except for mornings. And we get a lot of drizzles. I'll include photos in case my description isn't clear (if I can get it to work):

The big turquoise planter (about 20-22 dry quarts of potting soil with planter insert)

The rectangular planter and smaller turquoise planter in the back

Last edited by hellopity; 03-15-2017 at 06:07 PM..

Old 03-16-2017, 01:50 PM

216 posts, read 59,315 times
Keep in mind when plant guides say 'full sun' they generally mean six hours a day. A balcony with east and southern exposure will get more than that so you may need to invent some shade for them. Sun is food and energy so too much sun not only overheats the plants but also basically over stimulates them and they sort of die of exhaustion.

I had a southern-facing balcony in zone 7, and I kept my plants away from the railing, and instead closer to the building, so that the balcony above provided some shade. In the summer I watered twice a day and made sure the leaves got wet so that they had some protection from the heat.

I had a rubber plant that LOVED the hot humid summers. I kept it against the building and within only three years it was 7 feet tall and still going strong.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:31 PM

MarianRavenwood, that is an excellent point and I will keep my eyes on the planters, especially the bigger turquoise one that is close to the rail. The upstairs balcony is providing some shade but it may not be adequate, especially in the summer with the long days. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden