U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 05:48 PM

157 posts, read 37,202 times

Advertisements

We moved into our condo in a high rise last fall, and I'm excited to try my hand at planting a few potted plants. I just purchased some oriental lily bulbs, potting mix, and plastic pots from Amazon. I'll probably put these pots in a fiberglass planter. I'm also looking into lavender and daylilies.

Will be interesting to see how the lilies do in our balcony. It's exposed on three sides (N/E/S) and has a fairly constant breeze, and a few days of heavy gusts a year. We're in USDA hardiness zone 8, but will see what happens in a high rise!

Love to hear from other people who have had success with small potted plants in high rise balconies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 03:01 AM
B87

8,944 posts, read 4,699,446 times
Typical lapse rate is 0.6c/100m, but the main issue will probably be higher wind speeds.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:10 PM

657 posts, read 300,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
We moved into our condo in a high rise last fall, and I'm excited to try my hand at planting a few potted plants. I just purchased some oriental lily bulbs, potting mix, and plastic pots from Amazon. I'll probably put these pots in a fiberglass planter. I'm also looking into lavender and daylilies.

Will be interesting to see how the lilies do in our balcony. It's exposed on three sides (N/E/S) and has a fairly constant breeze, and a few days of heavy gusts a year. We're in USDA hardiness zone 8, but will see what happens in a high rise!

Love to hear from other people who have had success with small potted plants in high rise balconies.
I am on a south facing, unprotected third story balcony, and the problems I ran into were wind (both causing damage and drying out soils faster in basket and containers) and too much sun/heat at the warmest times of the year. I am also in zone 8. I had a lot of sunburning, and needed to water plants twice a day to keep them from withering, or move them into shade, on some of the hottest days. I moved containers into the corner of the balcony to protect them from wind during storms (one side of the balcony is walled off). The plants that did the best were my hardy thyme and catnip.

This year, I am going with some more heat and drought tolerant flowers so they don't need quite so much attention. I would come homefrom work to wilted flowers and dry soil even when I watered them that morning!

Old 02-28-2017, 06:40 AM

27,371 posts, read 34,298,347 times
Perhaps you could try something that will provide a bit of shade to lower plants, like a small banana tree or patio lime, elephant ears, etc.

https://www.longfield-gardens.com/pl...FcW3wAodcSAIFw

Old 03-01-2017, 08:42 AM

96 posts, read 16,243 times
I grow strawberries on my balcony It is sunny and I got about 5 liters strawberries during last season. I am going to plant more this year to increase my harvest

Old 03-01-2017, 11:06 AM

I agree that wind and the soil drying out is going to be a problem year round. In the summer, the pota getting baked in the sun could be a problem. I'll come upwith a solution as I go along. The oriental lily bulbs are arriving today per Amazon. Excited to start the project when I get home!

Old 03-01-2017, 04:54 PM

27,371 posts, read 34,298,347 times
For about $12. I ordered some tips that go on pop bottles that you fill with water and invert in planters. I'm trying this for my planters to keep them wet.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:01 PM

Great idea! I've seen those self-watering gadgets. Will see if it gets the soil all soggy if just wet enough. I read asiatic lily bulbs can rot easily if the soil is too soggy, needs well-draining soil. Thanks for the suggestion gentlearts.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:59 AM

16,363 posts, read 15,794,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Typical lapse rate is 0.6c/100m, but the main issue will probably be higher wind speeds.

I was thinking the same thing

Old 03-05-2017, 11:23 AM

657 posts, read 300,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerDarling View Post
I grow strawberries on my balcony It is sunny and I got about 5 liters strawberries during last season. I am going to plant more this year to increase my harvest
I'm going to try that this year. What kind of strawberries do you grow?

Hellopity, let us know how it all goes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden