U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of soil do you have most of?
Sandy 8 13.56%
Silty 3 5.08%
Clay 41 69.49%
Peaty 1 1.69%
Saline 0 0%
Loam 3 5.08%
Other - Please post below 3 5.08%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 10:36 AM

57,562 posts, read 39,961,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
We have sassafras soils, not sure where that fits in with those listed in the poll.

The Sassafras series consists of very deep, well drained, moderately permeable soils formed in sandy marine and old alluvial sediments of the Coastal Plain. These soils are categorized as prime farmland, which means that they are among the most productive soils in the state for agriculture and forestry, in addition to being one of the soils best suited to construction, onsite effluent disposal, and recreational development.

Never heard of that one but can you ship me some? Sounds awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 10:46 AM

65,018 posts, read 72,724,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Out of the 6 typical types of soil. Which do you have "most" of naturally without amending.

Sandy - Sandy soil has the largest particles among the different soil types. Itís dry and gritty to the touch, and because the particles have huge spaces between them, it canít hold on to water.
Water drains rapidly, straight through to places where the roots, particularly those of seedlings, cannot reach. Plants donít have a chance of using the nutrients in sandy soil more efficiently as theyíre swiftly carried away by the runoff.
The upside to sandy soil is that itís light to work with and warms much more quickly in the spring

Silty - Silty soil has much smaller particles than sandy soil so itís smooth to the touch. When moistened, itís soapy slick. When you roll it between your fingers, dirt is left on your skin.
Silty soil retains water longer, but it canít hold on to as much nutrients as youíd want it to though itís fairly fertile. Due to its moisture-retentive quality, silty soil is cold and drains poorly.
Silty soil can also easily compact, so avoid trampling on it when working your garden. It can become poorly aerated, too.

Clay - Clay soil has the smallest particles among the three so it has good water storage qualities. Itís sticky to the touch when wet, but smooth when dry.
Due to the tiny size of its particles and its tendency to settle together, little air passes through its spaces. Because itís also slower to drain, it has a tighter hold on plant nutrients. Clay soil is thus rich in plant food for better growth

Peaty - Peaty soil is dark brown or black in color, soft, easily compressed due to its high water content, and rich in organic matter. Peat soil started forming over 9,000 years ago, with the rapid melting of glaciers. This rapid melt drowned plants quickly and died in the process. Their decay was so slow underwater that it led to the accumulation of organic area in a concentrated spot.

Loam - The type of soil that gardens and gardeners love is loamy soil. It contains a balance of all three soil materialsósilt, sand and clayóplus humus. It has a higher pH and calcium levels because of its previous organic matter content.

Saline - The soil in extremely dry regions is usually brackish because of its high salt content. Known as saline soil, it can cause damage to and stall plant growth, impede germination, and cause difficulties in irrigation.

Which do you have mostly of?

Hopefully you have a general location on your header to give us an idea where you're located. (This can be done by clicking "My Settings" then first link on left "Edit Your Details" then scroll down)
I mostly have the kind you buy at your favorite nursery.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:02 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,671,862 times
I guess mine could be best described as peaty loam.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:19 PM

6,510 posts, read 4,756,793 times
Expanding clay which causes the worst roads I've seen.

After 3-4 years roads need to be resurfaced again.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:24 PM

6,795 posts, read 10,156,337 times
Crappy clay with lots of rocks and stones working their way up to the surface.

Our home was built on an old horse farm and I learned the developer came in, scraped off the top soil, and sold it thereby leaving the home sites with orange clay.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:12 PM

2,675 posts, read 1,263,482 times
OP, I don't know where you copied and pasted the soil descriptions from, but clay, which is what I have, isn't really soil at all. It doesn't only drain slow, it doesn't drain at all. When there is a heavy rain it literally just sits on top of the ground until it evaporates. It doesn't contain any nutrients, so to grow anything requires regular additions and nutrients to the soil. On top of that it is impossible to manually till. It's like, well, clay.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:29 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,043,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Expanding clay which causes the worst roads I've seen.

After 3-4 years roads need to be resurfaced again.
Is that the same as marine clay, which occurs under or near water sources such as streams and ponds? It's usually kind of a gray/blue color and expands when it's wet and shrinks when it's dry. I had a big patch of that stuff under one house I owned and it turned out to be a total nightmare!

Old 03-04-2017, 03:49 PM

155 posts, read 47,816 times
I live in the woods, lots of hardwood trees, so the soil is very acid, I don't have any grass on purpose. When I dig the first 6 or 8 inches is mostly rock with a little humus and then clay without much rock. Sassafras trees grow like weeds, I pull them out with my heavy duty weed puller, my truck and a length of chain.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:56 PM

4,403 posts, read 7,755,580 times
I live in a previously cotton field. When the builder prep the ground, they bulldozed the top soil off, I am left with clay mixed in with limestones. I amend heavily in my raised beds for vegetables and dug a wide base for each of my fruit trees. I compost my grass clippings and use it to replenish my ammended soil. That seems to work well.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:59 PM

2,346 posts, read 4,049,080 times
Clayey silt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden