U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2017, 03:04 PM

17,011 posts, read 19,241,270 times

Advertisements

Bare roots have done well for me, but I never buy from the high volume mail order nurseries.

If you ask around, or check at The Garden Watchdog, it is pretty easy to learn which catalogs to order from.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 05:39 PM

3,711 posts, read 4,216,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post

You asked what I did before planting the bare roots: I placed them in water for about two hours, then I planted them in a 14" pot, since I am a container gardener, and put them in about four inches deep, with potting and garden soil, some peat moss, and water them again.

..... the zone 7 area where I live, gets lots of rain ......
Okay, so some more questions.

Exactly what kind of plants were they?

Did you put all 4 plants together in a single 14" container or did each plant have a separate container of its own? Does the container(s) have drainage holes?

What's your location and what time of year was it when you first planted them? What was the average daily temperatures outside?

Were they placed in a sunny or a shady location? How many hours of direct, uninterrupted sunlight were they exposed to on a daily basis?

How much exposure is there to wind movement in that location? What direction does the wind usually come from most of the time - north, east, south or west?

Old 03-09-2017, 05:57 PM

1,426 posts, read 2,003,072 times
Did the potted plant receive the recommended sunshine ?....in the quest for sunshine and being in zone 7, it is also possible that the 12" pot would not offer much relief from the beating sun, thus perhaps the roots could have overheated ?

Old 03-10-2017, 03:54 PM

102 posts, read 51,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
What type of bare root plant did you plant in a 12" pot ? Is your plant suited to being potted ? Was there ample room for the roots ? Did you plant at the proper depth (per the grower)? Did the potted plant receive the recommended sunshine ?

"where I live, gets lots of rain, so the roots could have drowned or rotted" with a proper pot, one with adequate drain holes, plants will not drown....but do not let the pot sit in a saucer filled with water for more than a day.

Good Luck
Gemstone1
Gemstone: I have been pondering this for some item, and finally, I think I have it: The phlox plants were sent toward the end of July, by the company where I purchased them, and I planted them in very hot weather I have read in several magazines that small plants that have not matured, may not have a chance being planted in the heat of Summer. That is why the second time that they were sent back to me by the company, they did not survive either, because it was way too hot.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Okay, so some more questions.

Exactly what kind of plants were they?

Did you put all 4 plants together in a single 14" container or did each plant have a separate container of its own? Does the container(s) have drainage holes?

What's your location and what time of year was it when you first planted them? What was the average daily temperatures outside?

Were they placed in a sunny or a shady location? How many hours of direct, uninterrupted sunlight were they exposed to on a daily basis?

How much exposure is there to wind movement in that location? What direction does the wind usually come from most of the time - north, east, south or west?

Zoisite: I will try to answer some of your questions: The plants were Phlox, which is one of my favorite plants. Each plant had its own container, with ample drainage holes. It was toward the end of July, when I planted them. The average temperature was HOT!!!!! 85 to early 90's, consecutively, without respite.

Usually, when I get young plants, I give them some morning sun, and then some shade in the afternoon.

Exposure to wind movement: we do not get any wind moving in July, and most of the rain comes in the Spring. What we get is horrendous Summers......this, of course, is the result of climate change, before we used to have wonderful Summers, where the highest temperatures were in the early 90's for two or three days per month.......now, from the middle of June through the end of Summer is horrible....and I live by the Coast line. I hope I have answered most of your questions....

Old 03-10-2017, 04:31 PM

734 posts, read 509,430 times
I planted some bare root tomatoes, and they did fine. Like others have said, be sure and follow the enclosed directions. and buy from a reputable source.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:47 PM

11,841 posts, read 4,441,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post
Zoisite: I will try to answer some of your questions: The plants were Phlox, which is one of my favorite plants. Each plant had its own container, with ample drainage holes. It was toward the end of July, when I planted them. The average temperature was HOT!!!!! 85 to early 90's, consecutively, without respite.

Usually, when I get young plants, I give them some morning sun, and then some shade in the afternoon.

Exposure to wind movement: we do not get any wind moving in July, and most of the rain comes in the Spring. What we get is horrendous Summers......this, of course, is the result of climate change, before we used to have wonderful Summers, where the highest temperatures were in the early 90's for two or three days per month.......now, from the middle of June through the end of Summer is horrible....and I live by the Coast line. I hope I have answered most of your questions....
I'm surprised the company even shipped them, given the weather. Plants can cook in transit when it's really hot, USPS and UPS trucks do not have air conditioned cargo space!

Whether you buy plants mail order or from the nursery, July and August are definitely not good times to plant.

I would have kept them in a cool, shady place right in their pots, and planted them out in the fall. Fall is the best time to plant most perennials. The ground is still plenty warm, but the heat stress is MUCH less. Plants have plenty of time to reestablish their root systems over the winter. Spring planting obviously works well too, but people should think about fall planting more often than they do.

When you transplant, you unavoidably disrupt the root system, and that is what leads to the problems you experienced. The damaged roots just can't keep up with the water demand.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Bare roots have done well for me, but I never buy from the high volume mail order nurseries.

If you ask around, or check at The Garden Watchdog, it is pretty easy to learn which catalogs to order from.
Oregonwoodsmoke: The plants were purchased from American Meadows. which is an excellent company, with excellent shipping/return policy........

Old 03-10-2017, 06:10 PM

3,711 posts, read 4,216,571 times
I agree with Jacqueg's advice and I'll make one additional suggestion. In the future if you're going to try planting bareroot plants again (or even bulbs or nursery plants in containers) try when possible to get plants that are sourced locally as close as possible to your own location and that you know have been grown in the same climate conditions that you have. It's been my experience that the purchased live plants that grow best for me are those that are produced locally (say within a 100 mile radius or less) and are already adapted to basically the same climate and growing conditions they'll be exposed to when I bring them home.

American Meadows does have a truly excellent reputation but the thing is, to the best of my knowledge they aren't growers, they don't grow their own plants or seeds to sell. All the seeds, bulbs, bareroot plants and other garden supplies that they sell are carefully selected from reputable growers in other locations all over the USA as well as from several other countries. When American Meadows takes receipt of the stock they've ordered in from all these other places it's all thoroughly examined for quality and freshness or signs of stress, sorted and packaged by hand by their staff, then it immediately gets shipped out to their customers. They do a very good job.

But YOU don't know who and where on earth your phlox plants originally came from, or what kind of climate conditions they started and grew in. You don't know what kind of transport was used or how long your order was in transportation from the grower to American Meadows, how long it was at American Meadows, and then in transport again to you. And you don't know what the climate and temperatures and other stressful conditions were for your plants all during the in between times from when your order first left the original grower to the time it arrived to you.

It can be a bit of a crapshoot.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:52 PM

Default Zoisite

Zoisite: Thank you so very much.

I just finished placing an order for Phlox with Easy- to- Grow- Bulbs. I ordered 8 roots, and I hope that they grow, because I have chosen 8 of the most beautiful flowers in the world. I have bought from them before, and they have always been up- to- par. But, I read your reply after......and they are in California, and I am at the other end of the map.

Your reply makes lots of sense. There are many factors involved, when purchasing from a mail-order company, however, I have bought from one of New York/New Jersey's best farms, that gets their inventory from Monrovia plants, and I have had several loses from them. The place is located about 25 minutes from my home, and their return policy is not the best, but they carry gorgeous plants. That, I found out the hard way, they were gorgeous there, until I planted them.......last year I lost Phlox Bubble Gum Pink, which to me it is as close as beautiful as God is......It died......and I pay $25 plus tax, for a gallon plant. Then, I bought a Crepe Myrtle bush........it never flowered....$45 plus tax. However, I have had lots of success with mail-order companies, like Bluestone Perennials, and many others.

So, I am going to start praying right now, that my beautiful roots take hold, of the horrendous clay- soil I have, that not even John's and Bob's formula for the best soil, can help. All of my beds are raised, but I do not spray with insecticides, and that maybe part of the problem. but I am very- passionately in love, and protective of the environment, and I love bees, hummingbirds, butterflies, and any type of bird or animal. Hasta La Vista....!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden