Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 01:00 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times

Advertisements

The deer here appreciate the motion sensor light as they graze in my backyard.

When I had a garden, I had to use an 8' tall electric fence.

Some people claim limited success with predator urine. One neighbor claimed to protect his garden with bars of Irish Spring soap strung up around it.

The world is not created in the Disney mold. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 01:31 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Damn. You're judgemental. How do you know it will not work?

Because nearly every time one poster proclaims.....they...are the ones who figured out a deer prevention method there are two or three posters who say they did try it and it does not work.

However, when a poster recommends an 8 ft fence, I have yet to read others stating it does not work.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:59 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
A couple of links to interesting deer repellant ideas.
Deer Repellent Recipes For Homemade Deer Repellent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_ySzNEuuKc

Old 03-11-2017, 02:23 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,211,652 times
Default Princeton's gardens

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
We have a deer problem. They eat everything around here. You know those prickly holly trees with the red berries? They even ate those thorny things in my yard. Tulips? Might as well be crack. Green giant arborvitae seems like mashed potatoes and gravy to these hateful hounds of hell. We've tried the sprays, and we're trying the loose netting over the tulip beds (but they're just taking them up through the netting.) I sprayed everything with neem oil last fall that helped a little, but it wears off and is a chore to do.

Short of traumatizing the neighborhood kids with blowing Bambi's head off (which my animal loving wife is about ready to do), anyone know of anything that can scare these little turds off? Any motion detection devices that I can strap to a tree that'd spook them away that actually work and won't annoy my neighbors (no loud horns)? I'm open to any and all ideas at this point, short of harming them.
... were being destroyed by the deer population. Hunters to cull the herd were quickly shamed out of business. But what worked,

..was to dart the males with chemicals making them sterile. Good by problem.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:59 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
There's gotta be something they don't like.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:04 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
https://www.predatorpee.com

Try this. It's a creative way that might help.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:43 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
https://www.predatorpee.com

Try this. It's a creative way that might help.
FWIW, meat-eating human urine can be similar in some of the chemical components. Have some venison stew, pee around your plants.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:23 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
FWIW, meat-eating human urine can be similar in some of the chemical components. Have some venison stew, pee around your plants.
Sounds like a much cheaper alternative.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:42 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
I tried everything I could find, everything recommended on the internet... but nothing worked, and I finally put up a tall fence...no deer problems since.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:08 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
We have a deer problem. They eat everything around here. You know those prickly holly trees with the red berries? They even ate those thorny things in my yard. Tulips? Might as well be crack. Green giant arborvitae seems like mashed potatoes and gravy to these hateful hounds of hell. We've tried the sprays, and we're trying the loose netting over the tulip beds (but they're just taking them up through the netting.) I sprayed everything with neem oil last fall that helped a little, but it wears off and is a chore to do.

Short of traumatizing the neighborhood kids with blowing Bambi's head off (which my animal loving wife is about ready to do), anyone know of anything that can scare these little turds off? Any motion detection devices that I can strap to a tree that'd spook them away that actually work and won't annoy my neighbors (no loud horns)? I'm open to any and all ideas at this point, short of harming them.
Get a deerhound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden