U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 06:28 PM

2,650 posts, read 742,786 times

Advertisements

I gave up fighting the deer!

A few years ago I bought 3 Blue Spruce trees 18 inches tall.

I took great care of them and they grew rapidly to waist high.
One winter day I came out and it looked like someone ran them thru a brush cutter.

What a mess !

I had to remove them and vowed the only thing I will plant is a shrub that states either....."deer resistant"......or " deer tolerant " on the tag.

My beautiful butterfly bush is 3 years old and the deer have left it alone.

I realize a vegetable garden would be a tough battle with deer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 07:40 PM

985 posts, read 1,322,327 times
I feel you pain....learned that lesson all too bad at my previous home. Made sure with my current home I only planted deer resistant shrubs, perrenials, etc.

Good luck, unfortunately no easy solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
We have a deer problem. They eat everything around here. You know those prickly holly trees with the red berries? They even ate those thorny things in my yard. Tulips? Might as well be crack. Green giant arborvitae seems like mashed potatoes and gravy to these hateful hounds of hell. We've tried the sprays, and we're trying the loose netting over the tulip beds (but they're just taking them up through the netting.) I sprayed everything with neem oil last fall that helped a little, but it wears off and is a chore to do.

Short of traumatizing the neighborhood kids with blowing Bambi's head off (which my animal loving wife is about ready to do), anyone know of anything that can scare these little turds off? Any motion detection devices that I can strap to a tree that'd spook them away that actually work and won't annoy my neighbors (no loud horns)? I'm open to any and all ideas at this point, short of harming them.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:11 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,161,165 times
I was amazed a few years ago to find that the deer were eating my portulaca. I had planted it in hanging baskets for years and they had never bothered it before.

Here is the recipe I use and it works for me!

1 tablespoon of baking powder
1 egg yolk
1 litre (or so) of water
Spray plants every 2-3 week

I put it in an old 409 bottle and believe me it stinks! The smell wears off of the plants in just a few hours but the deer leave my plants alone!

Old 03-11-2017, 09:03 PM

2,545 posts, read 572,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I gave up fighting the deer!

A few years ago I bought 3 Blue Spruce trees 18 inches tall.

I took great care of them and they grew rapidly to waist high.
One winter day I came out and it looked like someone ran them thru a brush cutter.

What a mess !

I had to remove them and vowed the only thing I will plant is a shrub that states either....."deer resistant"......or " deer tolerant " on the tag.

I realize a vegetable garden would be a tough battle with deer.

The problem with butterfly bushes is that they're so invasive that some states have banned them. If deer won't eat them, that would be a big factor in them spreading out in the wild.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:40 AM

I have several dwarf type butterfly bushes and absolutely love the.

Trim them back every spring to about 5" and they grow to about 5' every year. With a little super phosphate they bloom up until the first frost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

Old 03-12-2017, 08:02 AM

1,231 posts, read 782,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I tried everything I could find, everything recommended on the internet... but nothing worked, and I finally put up a tall fence...no deer problems since.
The fence works. I have deer all year. My beautiful roses don't last long at all. My neighbors have a huge fence..........no deer in their backyard.

The deer are so beautiful and practically tame. But......I sure hate that they have such an appetite; especially the moms and her kids.

A fence is in my future. Tall. Fence.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:23 AM

How tall is your fence? My neighbor has a split rail fence and the deer just hop over it with no effort.

Recall deer being able to jump 12-15'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I tried everything I could find, everything recommended on the internet... but nothing worked, and I finally put up a tall fence...no deer problems since.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:19 AM

280 posts, read 149,849 times
Default Fencing

Effective Deer Fences

Old 03-12-2017, 10:43 AM

16,213 posts, read 18,122,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Get a deerhound.
I've had Deerhounds and they don't chase the deer away, they kill the deer. It is very illegal to hunt deer with dogs in my state, so not a very good solution. The hounds are so fast that there is no chase. They are on the deer and have it by the neck in very few strides.

Not only illegal, but what do you do with a dead deer in your backyard?

By the way, deer still came into my yard, deerhounds or not. Chase them off and they are right back, often in the same day.

A deer nearly crippled my Australian Shepherd. He was on three legs for a week and probably very lucky that the injury was something that healed without surgery. A hunting friend was not so lucky. His dog got a ruptured spleen, broken ribs, among other injuries and had very expensive surgery to save the dog's life.

Deer around here will not run from humans. I've had one walk up to me and touch me. There is no way that human urine is going to scare them away. If they are walking around in your yard, so close to humans, they are not in the least bit afraid of humans.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:31 AM

11,276 posts, read 25,100,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've had Deerhounds and they don't chase the deer away, they kill the deer. It is very illegal to hunt deer with dogs in my state, so not a very good solution. The hounds are so fast that there is no chase. They are on the deer and have it by the neck in very few strides.

Not only illegal, but what do you do with a dead deer in your backyard?

By the way, deer still came into my yard, deerhounds or not. Chase them off and they are right back, often in the same day.

A deer nearly crippled my Australian Shepherd. He was on three legs for a week and probably very lucky that the injury was something that healed without surgery. A hunting friend was not so lucky. His dog got a ruptured spleen, broken ribs, among other injuries and had very expensive surgery to save the dog's life.

Deer around here will not run from humans. I've had one walk up to me and touch me. There is no way that human urine is going to scare them away. If they are walking around in your yard, so close to humans, they are not in the least bit afraid of humans.
My old hound dog will chase them out of the yard if he sees them, but he's a hard sleeper sometimes and doesn't even know they're out there.

The deer here will come about 30' from you and stare at you, but if you move any closer they run.

(Don't know why the pics from my phone are always sideways)
Attached Thumbnails
Deer aka landscape terrorists-20151109_123516.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden