U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 11:53 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,093,827 times

Advertisements

In the state I used to live, the law on dogs chasing deer read as such.............

"A citizen may shoot any dog he observes chasing deer. A game warden must shoot any dog he observes chasing deer"

So, if your dog is chasing deer there is a good chance it will get shot !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 01:04 PM

3,698 posts, read 4,211,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

...... (Don't know why the pics from my phone are always sideways)
It looks like you are holding your phone vertically length-wise when you take your picture. Experiment. Turn your phone sideways to the left and/or the right before taking a picture and try posting those to see how they come out.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
In the state I used to live, the law on dogs chasing deer read as such.............

"A citizen may shoot any dog he observes chasing deer. A game warden must shoot any dog he observes chasing deer"

He said his dog chases deer out of his yard. I don't think there's any law that says a dog can't chase deer out of its own yard as long as the dog remains in its yard. Any citizen who shoots somebody else's dog that's on the dog's own property would be committing a crime.

But if the dog is running loose off its own property and is chasing deer (or someone's livestock) that dog is fair game to be killed by other citizen or game warden.

Last edited by Zoisite; 03-12-2017 at 01:36 PM..

Old 03-12-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post

........... Any motion detection devices that I can strap to a tree that'd spook them away that actually work and won't annoy my neighbors (no loud horns)? I'm open to any and all ideas at this point, short of harming them.
Perhaps you could try running a motion detector activated sprinkler system. It shoots water at intruders that come onto the property. I'm not actually recommending the particular Hav-a-heart and Orbit ones below, just posting these as a couple of examples of what's available and how it works.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.s...000755980.html

https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-62100-E.../dp/B009F1R0GC

Old 03-12-2017, 01:58 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,093,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
He said his dog chases deer out of his yard. I don't think there's any law that says a dog can't chase deer out of its own yard as long as the dog remains in its yard. Any citizen who shoots somebody else's dog that's on the dog's own property would be committing a crime.

But if the dog is running loose off its own property and is chasing deer (or someone's livestock) that dog is fair game to be killed by other citizen or game warden.

I seriously doubt if a dog takes off chasing a deer he will stop right at the property line, turn around and come back.

Not unless he is wearing a strong shock collar.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:09 PM

3,169 posts, read 770,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
FWIW, meat-eating human urine can be similar in some of the chemical components. Have some venison stew, pee around your plants.
There's deer all around here, but I've never seen one in my yard.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:25 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,354,185 times
Quote:

Where is this a law?

Old 03-12-2017, 04:54 PM

6,367 posts, read 12,016,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
... were being destroyed by the deer population. Hunters to cull the herd were quickly shamed out of business. But what worked,

..was to dart the males with chemicals making them sterile.
Good by problem.
Oh that is lovely. Evil smile.
Hunters kind of keep our deer under control, but my neighbor told me they have a "deer food" plot on the other side of the woods. It seems they don't want to completely eradicate the deer or decimate their population. They want to keep them around so they have something to hunt.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:55 PM

7,863 posts, read 6,294,050 times
Get a Red Ryder BB Gun. An official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle.

Shoot the deer in the bum. Just don't shoot your eye out.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:00 PM

7,863 posts, read 6,294,050 times
Quote:
I had to remove them and vowed the only thing I will plant is a shrub that states either....."deer resistant"......or " deer tolerant " on the tag.
Unfortunately, our deer can't read the tags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden