U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 01:54 AM

17,440 posts, read 16,833,188 times

Advertisements

Yes. Pretend the plants are your children, and if you kill them, the police will show up and arrest you.

I've lived in places with really nasty "soil", if you could call it that. You love love your plants, shrubs, and trees, or you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 06:11 AM

62,621 posts, read 68,730,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merewenc View Post
Due to lack of interest and confusion on what exactly I'm supposed to do when, I've never been able to keep a plant alive for longer than a few months. Inside plants, little garden plots along the outside of the house, whatever, I kill it. I have over-watered, under-watered, over-fed, under-fed, all of it.

However, now we're contemplating buying a house that already has about 1/4 of the back yard dedicated to an established garden. Since all of the pictures for the listing are from earlier this month (maybe late last month), I can't tell if I even like the plants in there. But it's likely if we bought the place I would need to keep them alive for at least a little while until I can either hire someone to take care of it for me, task my older daughter to do it (she actually likes plants), or dig the whole thing up and maybe put down sod (if I find I just can't take it).

That being said, is there any way to actually get good at gardening when you don't even like it? Some kind of scheduling system or app? Maybe if I could just plug in the type of plants into a consolidated plan, I could do a better job at remembering what needs water when and how much, if any of them need plant food and when, and if I should prune or just leave it to nature and when to prune (am I even using the right word?) and all that stuff.
If you really do not like gardening, why even try? What some of us love, others hate. I can't imagine going out and hitting a golf ball so I don't even try. That being said, you may just have to depend on either tearing up the garden and putting down sod or rock or you will have to give gardening another try. Have you thought about putting in a sprinkler system? It can be costly but will certainly help the watering schedule. Otherwise, it you do want to keep the garden just mark on the calendar when it is time to water whatever it is. Ask the old owners for some guidelines.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:59 PM

28,542 posts, read 35,665,102 times
Here's the thing, though. Even if you choose plants carefully, sometimes they don't do well. That's how gardens are made...trial and error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden