U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 08:36 PM

4,539 posts, read 5,829,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I came across this in my yard today. I've been interested in trying some edible weeds, so I've been familiarizing myself with some of the more common types.

Any idea what this might be, and is it edible?

Thanks!

Attachment 182336
Do you have a local extension office you can contact for an ID?

Sorry, I can't say, other than a broadleaf weed, possibly. How big are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 09:44 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,346,132 times
Dock isn't too bad. The rust spots are unsightly.
Wild mustard is pretty good. Leaves are small and the veins get tough quick. We have a few India mustard that we let go to seed and that gives us a good winter-spring harvest.
Pigweed, aka wild amaranth. Very good. We always seem to have a few come up in our garden.
Mulberry leaves are just OK for sauteed, you need to chop into small pieces. Leaves also make a good tea or wrapping rice & meat, like grape leaves. The fruit is extremely high in purple anthocyanins, moderately sweet and very mild fruit flavor, mild acidity far less than any other berry.
Flowering plums, plums both red and yellow. Excellent jams.
Certain wild seedling or pollinizing cherries.
Certain crab/seedling/wild apples.

Last edited by leastprime; 03-20-2017 at 09:58 PM..

Old 03-21-2017, 03:59 AM

2,189 posts, read 987,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I came across this in my yard today. I've been interested in trying some edible weeds, so I've been familiarizing myself with some of the more common types.

Any idea what this might be, and is it edible?

Thanks!

Attachment 182336
It looks like groundsel (senecio vulgaris) to me.
Weed of the Week

Old 03-21-2017, 04:45 AM

13,105 posts, read 17,646,574 times
all of you would be great for a survivalist camp or that tv show survivor . I'm not that brave as you all to try any of those crazy weeds I'm sure I would poison myself LOL ....you all are amazing and kudos to you all

Old 03-21-2017, 04:51 AM

32,111 posts, read 39,184,670 times
Both sets of grandparents would cook up a mess (or more) of dandelions this time of year. The meat course was usually groundhog.

One of my aunts would put coconut on the groundhog, made it fancy.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:24 AM

6,081 posts, read 7,030,845 times
You do need to be careful though. When I was younger I identified a wild plant called Wild Carrot (edible). The first time I "found it" in the wild, I discovered I was about to taste Poison Hemlock. Looks very similar.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:36 AM

4,508 posts, read 1,899,777 times
To answer the thread title, Euell Gibbons.

Often mistaken for a survivalist, Gibbons was simply an advocate of nutritious but neglected plants. He typically prepared these not in the wild, but in the kitchen with abundant use of spices, butter and garnishes. Several of his books discuss what he called "wild parties": dinner parties where guests were served dishes prepared from plants gathered in the wild. His favorite recommendations included lamb's quarters, rose hips, young dandelion shoots, stinging nettle and cattails. He often pointed out that gardeners threw away the more tasty and healthy crop when they pulled such weeds as purslane and amaranth out from among their spinach plants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euell_Gibbons

Old 03-21-2017, 06:19 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,771,653 times
I've made dandelion wine. Tastes like gin!

Also, we have wild cress growing around. I love it.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:35 AM

4,377 posts, read 1,490,886 times
I once harvested a bunch of acorns, and attempted to make them palatable. I'd read that the process was to boil them, to get them out of their shells, and then soak them, changing the water every day, until the water remains clear after soaking. And then roast them.

I wasn't happy with the result. They were very 'blah'. It was a lot of work and prep, for very little reward. IMO.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:05 AM

13,031 posts, read 7,199,948 times
I used to feed them to my pet piggie when she was alive. There was one in particular that she liked, but I never tried it. I guess I just don't know enough about them to want to try them. It would be my luck that I'd get something poisonous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden