U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM

3,301 posts, read 4,350,014 times

Advertisements

I find it quite interesting to know many of the plants in my yard, weeds included, are edible. I've tried a few, chickweed, henbit, briars, daylily pods and a few others.

I've found some interesting websites about edibles and wondered, does anyone else eat weeds and non-obvious plants in their yard??

Kudos to those from the past who partook in eating these plants long ago not knowing if they were edible!

Edible Weeds

The 3 Foragers: Foraging for Wild, Natural, Organic Food: Edible Plant Identifications

Eat The Weeds by Green Deane, the most watched forager in the world

And one of my favorite:

Foraging Texas

Anyone game to see what they can find in their yard to eat, try it, and report back????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM

27,450 posts, read 34,391,671 times
I'm not that adventurous, but it sounds like a fun hobby.

Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM

4,755 posts, read 18,534,699 times
Many years ago my grandmother would collect leaves (mostly dandelion) as we walked home from market for salads.

Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM

154 posts, read 52,883 times
Dandelion and chicory are quite common in the Italian (southern) Diet. I love them both with olive oil and a good vinegar. and sliced white onions.

Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM

183 posts, read 97,058 times
We have wild onions in winter, dandelions and clover in early spring, dewberries and blackberries in late spring/early summer, red sumac in mid- to late summer, maypops (northern passion-fruit) and muscadine grapes in late summer to early autumn. I'm not bold enough to eat some of the other things I've read because I don't have the experience to identify them and tell the difference from poisonous look-alikes.

Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM

7,816 posts, read 2,643,231 times
I pay for spring dandelions. It's good for detoxing your liver. I believe the afrench eat them.

Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM

2,619 posts, read 734,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I pay for spring dandelions. It's good for detoxing your liver. I believe the afrench eat them.
don't ever pay

Come to my place and you can dig them up for free.

Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM

7,816 posts, read 2,643,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
don't ever pay

Come to my place and you can dig them up for free.
I think they are different. I have them in my garden too.

Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM

4,304 posts, read 4,424,326 times
Dandelions are a given, I like Arrowleaf Balsamroot too. The roots are good roasted and make a decent flour when dried and ground for biscuits and campbread.

Stinging nettles are very good. Picked young before the seedpods set, the leaves can be blanched to remove the stinging oils, and are way better than spinach.
Once the pods set, the stalks make great cordage.

Cattails are everywhere, and the roots can be eaten raw or roasted, the stems can be eaten raw green, and the pollen makes pretty good campbread.

Lots more out there, and it's fun to learn about them and go foraging for yourself.

Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM

1,967 posts, read 1,032,718 times
is poke salad a weed ? .. had plenty of it growing up ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden