U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-24-2017, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Niagara Region
1,027 posts, read 1,018,767 times
Reputation: 3161

Advertisements

For the last 3 years I have always brought a couple of impatiens stems inside in October, before my annuals die. Just a few inches, rooted in fresh soil and fertilized regularly. This past Oct I did the same thing, but didn't get one flower or bud. Lovely healthy greenery, but that's it. The plant is bushy and about a foot tall, but not a single flower.

Same conditions every year - warm sun-room, no direct light, and 10-15-10 plant food.

The only difference is this current cutting came from last year's cutting which I took outside, and which grew into a massive plant and flowered all summer. Do you think that's a factor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2017, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Zone 6B ~ Northern VA
1,073 posts, read 1,483,279 times
Reputation: 279
Try less nitrogen and significantly higher phosphorous.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
For the last 3 years I have always brought a couple of impatiens stems inside in October, before my annuals die. Just a few inches, rooted in fresh soil and fertilized regularly. This past Oct I did the same thing, but didn't get one flower or bud. Lovely healthy greenery, but that's it. The plant is bushy and about a foot tall, but not a single flower.

Same conditions every year - warm sun-room, no direct light, and 10-15-10 plant food.

The only difference is this current cutting came from last year's cutting which I took outside, and which grew into a massive plant and flowered all summer. Do you think that's a factor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2017, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Niagara Region
1,027 posts, read 1,018,767 times
Reputation: 3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Try less nitrogen and significantly higher phosphorous.
Thanks, I'll certainly try that. From a scientific perspective, though, any idea why I suddenly need to change that ratio of NPK, and why it's worked before? I'm trying to figure out what the changing factors are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2017, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Zone 6B ~ Northern VA
1,073 posts, read 1,483,279 times
Reputation: 279
That is hard to say, but things can change over time.

Try my suggestion and keep us posted.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
Thanks, I'll certainly try that. From a scientific perspective, though, any idea why I suddenly need to change that ratio of NPK, and why it's worked before? I'm trying to figure out what the changing factors are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2017, 12:09 AM
 
Location: British Columbia
3,658 posts, read 4,169,076 times
Reputation: 4599
What kind of impatiens is it?

You are discussing a 3rd generation clone which just might possibly be a 4th generation clone. Do you know the history of the original grandmother plant - was the first clone you made taken from a commercially grown grandmother plant that was grown from seed or was the grandmother plant also a clone?

If you have made a clone from a clone from a clone that might be a problem as each successive generation of clones changes characteristics and strengths of the plants. Repeated cloning eventually weakens plants and those weaknesses (such as delayed or no blooming, or becoming exceedingly spindly, or susceptibility to more diseases/infections) can start showing up in the 3rd and 4th generations of clones reverting back to wild type.

I'm not saying that definitely is what is happening with your plant, just that it's a possibility and it would be good if you knew the propogation history of the original ancestor plant.

As a general rule of thumb I will never make clones from clones, I'll only make clones from strong plants that were grown from seed.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2017, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Niagara Region
1,027 posts, read 1,018,767 times
Reputation: 3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
What kind of impatiens is it?

You are discussing a 3rd generation clone which just might possibly be a 4th generation clone. Do you know the history of the original grandmother plant - was the first clone you made taken from a commercially grown grandmother plant that was grown from seed or was the grandmother plant also a clone?

If you have made a clone from a clone from a clone that might be a problem as each successive generation of clones changes characteristics and strengths of the plants. Repeated cloning eventually weakens plants and those weaknesses (such as delayed or no blooming, or becoming exceedingly spindly, or susceptibility to more diseases/infections) can start showing up in the 3rd and 4th generations of clones reverting back to wild type.

I'm not saying that definitely is what is happening with your plant, just that it's a possibility and it would be good if you knew the propogation history of the original ancestor plant.

As a general rule of thumb I will never make clones from clones, I'll only make clones from strong plants that were grown from seed.

.
I'm thinking you may be right, and the final clone was too weak. Last year's cutting had come from a friend's plant and it was just one of those hanging bags, commercially grown, and ever-flowering, probably from Home Depot's garden centre. I guess I can't complain I got two flowering seasons out of it, and one being winter was extra special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2017, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Niagara Region
1,027 posts, read 1,018,767 times
Reputation: 3161
All five stems are now covered in buds! And I haven't made any changes. A nice head start to the flowering season
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2017, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now a Rehoboth Beach Bunny
5,870 posts, read 7,419,618 times
Reputation: 4943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
All five stems are now covered in buds! And I haven't made any changes. A nice head start to the flowering season
#1 Rule of gardening is patience. We all need to learn that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2017, 08:24 PM
 
Location: British Columbia
3,658 posts, read 4,169,076 times
Reputation: 4599
Congratulations!


.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2017, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Niagara Region
1,027 posts, read 1,018,767 times
Reputation: 3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
#1 Rule of gardening is patience. We all need to learn that.
Indeed! Who am I to say whether the buds are early, late or on time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top