Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 12:02 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,257,395 times

Advertisements

We have an unusual front entrance that will require some help. Short of expensive grading, the little area right outside the living room picture window might do well with roses.

The yard is somewhat terraced down to this area so this seems sunken but is level with the house.
The home was built in '63. We've been here less than 2yrs. We're working on it, (my other half is a contractor) have gotten a lot done. I should do a thread on that but there's so much left to do including exterior paint and gutters.

I'm thinking about filling in that small space with roses and putting stepping stones between. (stones from the yard, natural/granite, not slate) The porch is narrow and a straight line to the cars would be off the end, not following the existing stones/slate. Still I want to maintain that path, maybe put 4 or 5 bushes along the house, 4 on the other side of the path, and several to fill in with stepping stones to enable a person (hopefully not a drunk person - lol - ahem) to move around each bush.

In summer, Hostas grow there along the base of the little 15" wall and ferns grow in the rocks.

I've got window baskets to hang under the br windows. If we don't paint it soon I'm going to beat my head against the wall.

We will probably be relocating in another year or two. We don't want to do a lot of extra stuff. We still have a septic tank and replacement windows, some electrical rewiring, refurbish kitchen & bathroom cabinets.... That's the big stuff. The porch posts are on the list, too.

I want to add a 2nd bathroom in the basement/laundry area but that's another topic. (it's already plumbed).

Okay, now for the tiny pictures because I'm picture challenged despite moderator attempts to instruct me.

NOTE: firewood rack is 90% for the cat to see in the window and 10% utilitarian.

Another note: Looks tiny doesn't it? I'll add a picture of the back - we'd love to do a pergola across the back that would reach the top of the cement.
Attached Thumbnails
Would roses work here? If not, what would?-housegarden1.jpg   Would roses work here? If not, what would?-housegarden2.jpg   Would roses work here? If not, what would?-housegarden3.jpg   Would roses work here? If not, what would?-back-hours-004.jpg  

Last edited by hunterseat; 03-26-2017 at 12:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 12:55 PM

50,173 posts, read 63,623,198 times
My feeling is that roses will struggle there, because they love full sun. There are so many plants that would do well in semi shade that I would go with something else.
I would plant a Dogwood, Redbud, or Japanese Maple in front of the woodpile. This would be pretty out your window. Flank it with a couple of azaleas or rhododendrons. Then I would use hostas and Stella doro day lilies. These day lilies die back every winter like the hostas, so it is easy to clean out the beds in the spring. You can add other shade perennials if you want. Mulch it up purdy and call it done.

In the back, I'd get some nice flowering shrubs, like viburnum, or mock orange, etc. you don't say where you live, but you might be able to get some evergreen shrubs, so they won't be naked all winter. Dont crowd them too close to the house.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:50 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,082,079 times
Everything that gentlearts said. Plus roses need good airflow to keep them healthy. Another thing that comes to mind. Looking at your photos, it looks like you might be in deer country. Deer just love a good rose bush.
I'm also a Viburnum lover. Can't go wrong with a few different varieties of them. This is one of mine called Viburnum plicatum f. tomentosum 'Summer Snowflake.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Everything that gentlearts said. Plus roses need good airflow to keep them healthy. Another thing that comes to mind. Looking at your photos, it looks like you might be in deer country. Deer just love a good rose bush.
I'm also a Viburnum lover. Can't go wrong with a few different varieties of them. This is one of mine called Viburnum plicatum f. tomentosum 'Summer Snowflake.
Beautiful!
Yes, there are so many viburnum, both evergreen and deciduous, berries, no berries, tall/short, that you can't go wrong.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:21 PM

Oh you nailed it when you said deer country! Probably doesn't help that I keep a deer lick under a tree out back and we have a "try to hit the deer tree from the deck" with apples. Okay I do like the deer.

Love the suggestions. Yep, I'm in CT so... I'd be aggravated when all my roses were eaten.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:11 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,359,217 times
How about viburnum lentago? Viburnum lentago - Plant Finder
It is deer resistant, but probably could do with protection for a few years. It likes moist, alkaline soil. Bronzy spring foliage. White spring flowers. Edible black fruit.

You can also try smooth hydrangea. Deer don't even look at this thing in my yard. It also likes moist, alkaline soil, but like nannyberry also has a range. Summer flowers, large green leaves, pale gold fall color. Dry winter-interest flowers. Many fab cultivars:
Hydrangea arborescens Incrediball® Blush | White Flower Farm
White Dome Hydrangea (Hydrangea arborescens 'White Dome') in Milwaukee Brookfield Waukesha New Berlin Pewaukee Wisconsin WI at Minor's Garden Center

You can also check out the other cultivars like annabelle, invinvibelle, incrediball etc. BTW there Are roses for at least part shade. My Dr. Huey does well in part shade and deer do not seem to bother it (very very strange). There are also hybrid musk roses such as felicia. I'm not sure about disease resistance or tolerance to cold.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:43 PM

Hydrangea is something I've considered. I really like the idea of a Japanese Maple in the center. Maybe put a birdbath out there...

Old 03-28-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Oh you nailed it when you said deer country! Probably doesn't help that I keep a deer lick under a tree out back and we have a "try to hit the deer tree from the deck" with apples. Okay I do like the deer.

Love the suggestions. Yep, I'm in CT so... I'd be aggravated when all my roses were eaten.
Deer think hostas are like candy, but I see you have that killer dog, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:38 AM

14,723 posts, read 14,885,577 times
I think hydrangeas would look very nice and do well at the front of the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post

Since you are deer friendly and have made an effort to attract deer to your property then anything you plant around your house is now going to be seen by deer as an open invitation for them to dine on all the plants around your house.

That being the case you can't be very choosy about what you plant around your house for good looks and expect them to survive predation from deer. I think the first thing you need to do is research all manner of plants that are deterents or toxic to deer and make a list of them. Then choose the ones from that list that will grow in your climate and plant some of those.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:59 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,581,771 times
We have an excessive deer population where we live. Here is the list of things we can grow without a full fence with either a top fence or at least 10' high:

daffodils
phragmites
rocks (although they will lick the rocks and push them around)

Roses are completely out of the question. They smell roses and they send out an invite to all of their friends. Even potted roses on the porch, they will come right up on the porch and eat them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden