Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 07:59 AM

857 posts, read 959,004 times

Advertisements

I like to have that on my land. To be more specific, I would like the shoots to eat, and I want the woody plant as building materials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 08:37 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
Timber bamboo

Timber Bamboo

Old 03-25-2017, 08:40 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I like to have that on my land. To be more specific, I would like the shoots to eat, and I want the woody plant as building materials.
You sure about that?

But yes, there are timber bamboos that will grow in the US.

Here's a source I know about, there are plenty of others - Jade Mountain Nursery

Dunno if any of the 6-inchers will grow in your area, since you don't say where your area is, but there's probably a 3-4 incher that does.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:19 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,331,979 times
Quote:

while many of the big timber type bamboos are rather tender, phyllostachys edulis (moso bamboo), p. vivax, and p. nigra "henon" (giant black bamboo) can resist significant frost (USDA 7 and perhaps 6 once established and in a favorable micro-climate) all can have stem diameters of over 4" suitable for some building purposes and have eatable shoots----IF optimal conditions of soil moisture and fertility as well as a long warm growing season are available. a ROUGH rule of thumb would be if you can grow camellias easily (without regular winter cold damage) you can probably grow some of these bamboo species. hope this helps. good luck.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You sure about that?

But yes, there are timber bamboos that will grow in the US.

Here's a source I know about, there are plenty of others - Jade Mountain Nursery

Dunno if any of the 6-inchers will grow in your area, since you don't say where your area is, but there's probably a 3-4 incher that does.

Are you referring to the spread problem? If so it's OK, I have big yard. This is why I want to grow my own bamboo:

"New shipment of bamboo poles in.
1" x 10' - $5.95
2" x 8' - 10.95
3" x 8' - 32.95
4" x 8' - 49.95"

Anyway I'm in Mendocino, CA. Since you bring up my location, another question comes to mind. My property fronts the ocean high up on the bluff. This is pine and cypress country, and the ocean view is highly prized. If I plant a patch of tall 50' bamboos, do you think people will be pissed off at me for ruining the view or the "ambiance of the surrounding"?

Old 03-25-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Are you referring to the spread problem? If so it's OK, I have big yard. This is why I want to grow my own bamboo:

"New shipment of bamboo poles in.
1" x 10' - $5.95
2" x 8' - 10.95
3" x 8' - 32.95
4" x 8' - 49.95"

Anyway I'm in Mendocino, CA. Since you bring up my location, another question comes to mind. My property fronts the ocean high up on the bluff. This is pine and cypress country, and the ocean view is highly prized. If I plant a patch of tall 50' bamboos, do you think people will be pissed off at me for ruining the view or the "ambiance of the surrounding"?

If you plant (or build) ANYTHING that potentially blocks somebody else's view (including bamboos, pines or cypresses) you may indeed make some of your neighbors unhappy---whether that can ultimately become a legal problem may depend on local (state, county, municipality) zoning restrictions that may or may not be in place. certainly if you are in a HOA community you may in fact need to check any particular regulations that potentially might prohibit you from changing the views of your neighbors. OTOH, if you are on a larger property with neighbors widely spaced OR other neighbors already have planted specimens or wind-breaks that "block" the view you may not have any concerns.

certainly, it does no harm to at least consider how you might react if another neighbor planted some bamboo that might possibly block YOUR view.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 03-25-2017 at 04:57 PM..

Old 03-25-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
If you plant (or build) ANYTHING that potentially blocks somebody else's view (including bamboos, pines or cypresses) you may indeed make some of your neighbors unhappy---whether that can ultimately become a legal problem may depend on local (state, county, municipality) zoning restrictions that may or may not be in place. certainly if you are in a HOA community you may in fact need to check any particular regulations that potentially might prohibit you from changing the views of your neighbors. OTOH, if you are on a larger property with neighbors widely spaced OR other neighbors already have planted specimens or wind-breaks that "block" the view you may not have any concerns.

certainly, it does no harm to at least consider how you might react if another neighbor planted some bamboo that might possibly block YOUR view.
Neighbors all have their unobstructed ocean view. Highway 1 travelers' view will be blocked. Do they have any claim to the view?

Old 03-25-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Neighbors all have their unobstructed ocean view. Highway 1 travelers' view will be blocked. Do they have any claim to the view?

probably not. generally what happens on private property is not a factor unless it impacts the safe and free public access and use of public roads for transportation and the bamboo would not per se UNLESS there is some sort of officially designated "scenic corridor" (generally NOT the same as a "scenic highway") in your area with specific restrictions on any kind of development that might negatively impact a specific view in a specific place. check out what your neighbors are doing or have done---if there are already specimen trees and/or windbreaks in place then there is likely no concern to you for adding some more plantings in the general area. another thing to possibly consider is if there are any building restrictions (i.e. no two-story houses or buildings taller than "x" feet height) in your particular area: IF there are such things then tall planting MIGHT also be prohibited.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:38 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
There's a whole pile of different bamboos, perhaps you could find one that would give you bamboo poles without being completely huge. We had a couple different types of bamboo in our backyard at the other house. The smaller diameter was good for small poles for growing beans on and fishing poles and such, the bigger one was good for more substantial poles and both of them were tasty. If you'd accept poles of less than 4" diameter, you'd be able to grow shorter bamboo and maybe not annoy the neighbors view.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:13 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Be careful what you wish for, once bamboo is established it's nearly impossible to control and/or get rid of.
Blocking anyone's view can be a potential problem. Solve that first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden