Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2017, 09:05 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,711,138 times

Advertisements

I have gone to local nurseries, hardware stores and walmart to look for seedlings. One nursery has a lot of really nice seedlings. But I keep seeing the same plants. I don't mean from the same grower, but pretty much the same types of vegetables. For example, I have only found maybe 3 or 4 types of squash. But there are several more and I would like to buy some to have more variety in my garden.

Aside from buying online, which I'm not interested in doing, does anyone have any suggestions about how to buy vegetable seedling which aren't the standard variety usually found in nurseries?

I would like to buy some spaghetti squash, white acorn squash or any other varieties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 09:42 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,711,138 times
Well, I just bought some white scallop squash seeds and some spaghetti squash seeds online. I spent about $5. I guess I'll have to be patient and wait for a month to have the fancy seedlings.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:21 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,686,652 times
I guess my only suggestion would be local farmer's markets or Craigslist. Where are you located? We won't start seeing any farmer's markets in my area in earnest for another month. You could see if someone is selling or giving away extra seedlings they don't need on Craigslist if you want to check that out - it could be a viable option.

When it comes to squash, in particular, I wouldn't even bother with transplants. Starting from seed is highly recommended as cucurbits (squash, zucchini, cucumbers, melons, etc.) do not like their roots disturbed at all. It is certainly possible to transplant them, but in the time it takes them to settle in, recover from any transplant shock and then take hold, your direct-sown seed will quickly germinate and catch up. I always get stronger and more productive plants when I direct-sow. You will also have infinitely more selection by choosing seeds over seedlings, though you'll likely still need to buy online unless you live near one of the big seed companies like Baker Creek, Territorial, Johnny's, etc. that would have plenty of varieties in-store.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:12 PM

83,315 posts, read 74,613,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Aside from buying online, which I'm not interested in doing,
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Well, I just bought some white scallop squash seeds and some spaghetti squash seeds online.
That didn't take long. . That's what happens with garden temptation stuff and the ease of ordering online. I was gonna ask why not order online. Then I was gonna suggest asking the local nursery to order it. They might charge you a lot more though. Good luck with the specialty stuff. Ask them when the seeds were packed.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:34 AM

32,503 posts, read 47,500,455 times
If you want unusual vegetable plants, you will have to start your own. I suggest Johnny's Seeds for less common varieties.

I know several people who start heritage tomatoes, often rare varieties, and sell 6-packs with six different varieties as a sort of fun money project. Mostly they sell at farmer's markets.

I know one, just one, fellow who starts rare hot peppers and sells six packs. He sells at farmers markets.

Other than that, I have no idea where you would buy rare varieties already started. Commercial outfits want to sell high volume so they grow what the majority will buy.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:41 AM

32,503 posts, read 47,500,455 times
Oh wait. Almost certainly your local garden club will have a fund raiser where they sell plants. It will be flowers and bulbs, but someone will be selling veggie starts.

Mostly, it is popular plants like tomatoes and peppers, because they want to sell a lot.

Watch for ads about the sale coming up.

I've bought some very healthy plants, because, of course, the garden club members know how to garden. Their seedlings arn't forced like the commercial ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden