U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 11:07 PM

3,502 posts, read 6,351,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
Why four or more plants?
Better pollination. Also, it's good to have more than one variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 11:24 PM

685 posts, read 159,087 times
lots of excellent & detailed advice already given. But three years ago illness prevented any such means. So 4 tiny bushes (several varieties) were just planted against west side of house, and left on their own. And yet all 4 have produced every year more! - what they got were horse dooh, & coffee grounds, & positive encouragements, & prayer - Sure enough, on just these 4 these 4 bushes flourish...

Old 03-30-2017, 12:21 AM

3,129 posts, read 4,166,578 times
Multiple varieties will give you a longer season if you get some early, some mid and some late season bushes. I would recommend spacing them 10 ft apart. That will seem far for the first couple of years but as they grow and fill in you will be glad they are well spaced.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:58 PM

11,496 posts, read 25,860,001 times
Down here we grow the 'rabbit eye' type blueberry bushes, I have three of them and I have so many berries every year that I can't even eat them all... I end up freezing most of them. The soil here is naturally acidic, so I really don't have to do anything to them except keep the weeds away. They do produce suckers, and those suckers can be dug up and replanted to make more bushes. Birds never bother mine, they don't even seem to eat the wild blueberries in the woods for some reason.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:44 PM

How are they doing?

Old 05-17-2017, 02:43 PM

19,920 posts, read 52,048,898 times
Revisiting this thread makes me want to try again.

When I am ready I will till up the entire area and mix in manure and coffee grounds (if I can get some someplace) and balance the PH in whatever way is needed, then plant 6. Maybe 1 or 2 will live and grow. I am going to have to plant them in a new place to keep them away from the dog's tethers and slimy effluvia.

Do they do ok in part shade? Our property is surrounded by forest, so we have only a few areas that are all day in the sun.

Is June an OK time of year to plant them? (SE Michigan, Zone 6).

Will deer eat them? Rabbits? Racoons? They did not before, but they were right by our back door, so that may have kept them away (although we have found deer standing on our back poach eating potted flowers before). Since we tie the dogs out there not to pee, we will have to find a spot further form the house.

I want the darn things to grow.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:38 PM

450 posts, read 277,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
How are they doing?
I have one larger, older blueberry bush and two babies. The larger one produced lots of flowers which will hopefully translate into lots of berries. The small plants were repotted in bigger containers. No flowers but the plants are growing.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Revisiting this thread makes me want to try again.

When I am ready I will till up the entire area and mix in manure and coffee grounds (if I can get some someplace) and balance the PH in whatever way is needed, then plant 6. Maybe 1 or 2 will live and grow. I am going to have to plant them in a new place to keep them away from the dog's tethers and slimy effluvia.

Do they do ok in part shade? Our property is surrounded by forest, so we have only a few areas that are all day in the sun.

Is June an OK time of year to plant them? (SE Michigan, Zone 6).

Will deer eat them? Rabbits? Racoons? They did not before, but they were right by our back door, so that may have kept them away (although we have found deer standing on our back poach eating potted flowers before). Since we tie the dogs out there not to pee, we will have to find a spot further form the house.

I want the darn things to grow.
Manure is good only if it is well-composted. Too-rich soil or too much fertilization will make your plants sad. Also, mix in peat moss.

Blueberries want lots of water but also perfect drainage. If the area where you plant tends to be wet or is rock or clay, go up rather than down and make a raised area.

Part shade is okay. Too much shade and the plants will still be okay, but won't bear much fruit. "Full-sun," for gardening purposes, really just means at least six hours of sun daily.

I don't know about in MI, but in Western Washington and Western NC (Zone 7), it's better to plant in March. Maybe you could work on getting a place ready now, but put them in as soon as the weather allows next year. Of course, your extension center could give you better advice for your area. They could also tell you which varieties do well there.

Deer here (WA) only bother them occasionally in the spring. I don't think the rabbits or raccoons bother them. In NC we had LOTS of rabbits, and they did not bother the blueberries. Birds are what you need to plan for. I put up a net around my entire blueberry patch before the berries start getting blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden