Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 09:57 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,066,660 times

Advertisements

I have a young blueberry bush that has been living in a pot for the past year. I cleared 12 square feet of space and ordered two more. Any tips for planting these in the ground?

I know yields increase through the years. Any tips for ensuring I have a decent crop this year? How can I prevent the neighborhood's wild bunny population from devouring all my berries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 10:43 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
I don't think the rabbits will bother them, but the birds will. Use a net held up by posts. Putting up a good net is the hardest part of growing blueberries. If you leave any openings at all, birds will find them, and you will either have to let birds out of the enclosure each morning, or you will have dead birds.

Don't expect a decent crop this first year. In fact, it's recommended that you remove the blooms and don't allow any fruit the first year. Let the plants get established first.

Blueberries need frequent water but also excellent drainage. They also don't want the soil to be too rich, but it does need to be acidic. You can mix peat moss in with your soil to achieve the acidity.

Clear additional space if you only have 12 square feet. (If you have 12 feet squared, or 12 by 12, that's fine.)

Old 03-29-2017, 11:05 AM

13,071 posts, read 7,505,741 times
Mix a cup of powdered sulfur into the soil. You cannot use too much sulfur. We use flaked sulfur. Have used powdered.
Blueberries are a forest shrub and like the acidity and a moist, well drained, high humus soil.
Mulch well. Very well. Blueberries have shallow, generous fiberous roots, which will grown into the mulch.
Fertilize lightly. The mulch will provide most if all the PKN needs.

Limed and basic ph soils is a quick way to kill your plant.
Use a copper or sulfur fungicide prior to flowering, fall and winter.
Avoid insecticides especially Bayer 3n1 BC you will kill the bees that will pollinate your blueberries.

Know your soils. Acidified soils could dissolve undesired minerals.
YMMV

Old 03-29-2017, 11:09 AM

13,071 posts, read 7,505,741 times
Get at least 4 plants.
You will thank me in 3 years.

Blueberries luv coffee grounds. They cannot get enough.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:44 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I link things I plant to songs in my mind (well I pretty much link everything to songs). The theme song for blueberries is "Another one Bites the Dust"

We have tried and tried for ten years. Never had one live more then three or four years. They sure are tasty right off the bush in the morning though.

When I try again, I will use some of the ideas here. Thanks. Not real optimistic though.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Get at least 4 plants.
You will thank me in 3 years.

Blueberries luv coffee grounds. They cannot get enough.
Why four or more plants?

The grounds are easy because I love coffee! Thank you for the tip!

Old 03-29-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Mix a cup of powdered sulfur into the soil. You cannot use too much sulfur. We use flaked sulfur. Have used powdered.
Blueberries are a forest shrub and like the acidity and a moist, well drained, high humus soil.
Mulch well. Very well. Blueberries have shallow, generous fiberous roots, which will grown into the mulch.
Fertilize lightly. The mulch will provide most if all the PKN needs.

Limed and basic ph soils is a quick way to kill your plant.
Use a copper or sulfur fungicide prior to flowering, fall and winter.
Avoid insecticides especially Bayer 3n1 BC you will kill the bees that will pollinate your blueberries.

Know your soils. Acidified soils could dissolve undesired minerals.
YMMV
Thank you!!

Old 03-29-2017, 02:03 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,005 times
First, don't try to get any blueberries this year. Pinch off most or all of the buds. Give it at least a year, or even better two years in the ground before expecting a harvest. Second, it sounds like you haven't seen a mature blueberry bush before. One plant will fil up the full twelve square feet and then some. Not only will the berries be too high for the bunnies, you might not even be able to reach them all. Third, use lots of mulch. Blueberry roots need consistent moisture. When I planted mine I did 4 inches of saw dust then another 6 inches of hardwood mulch. Finally, the PH of the soil is very important. Don't give them city water because it is too basic. Either use water from barrels or a stream/spring. Also, lots and lots of sulfur powder is key.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:23 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
I have a young blueberry bush that has been living in a pot for the past year. I cleared 12 square feet of space and ordered two more. Any tips for planting these in the ground?

I know yields increase through the years. Any tips for ensuring I have a decent crop this year? How can I prevent the neighborhood's wild bunny population from devouring all my berries?
what kind of blueberry bush do you have?

Highbush Blueberries vs. Lowbush | Home Guides | SF Gate

Old 03-29-2017, 07:08 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,519,932 times
Know your soil. Proper pH and drainage is paramount here in southern NJ. Lots of blueberry farms here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden