U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 07:12 AM

125 posts, read 75,304 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I bought a Murray Lawn mower (Briggs & Stratton) 550 E series (140 cc) (Version 5.50) around the last summer time-frame. I have probably used it 5-6 times last year and then drained the old fuel and replaced it with fresh-gas and oil-level looks good.
Any thoughts on why it wouldn't start?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 07:22 AM

3,800 posts, read 3,429,050 times
Does it have a battery? If not then check air filter. Primer bulb sometimes doesn't prime after awhile.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,386 posts, read 50,582,032 times
At the end of summer/fall after the last mow you should drain the tank, then run it until all fuel has been burned. Leaving in the old gas and then draining it in spring almost guarantees clogged passages from varnish over the winter. I would suggest removing the air cleaner, then spray Gumout into the throat of the carburetor. Give it a few slow starter rope pulls,
then spray more and repeat a few times. Then let it sit 10 minutes, while you remove the spark plug. If it looks corroded, clean or replace it. If it looks okay, use a dropper of some sort to place about a 1/2 teaspoon of gas directly into the combustion chamber. Reinstall the spark plug quickly, then try to start. often that bit of gas will start it and run long enough to suck the gumout through the blocked fuel passages and allow the fresh gas to flow.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:38 AM

64,984 posts, read 47,303,288 times
Check filter, does it look black and clogged of oil? At 5-6 times use and less than 1 yr old I'm thinking its another problem.

So replace the spark plug. Carefully take plug out, bring to shop to match and get a new one.

If not that then call company, you're probably still under the 1yr warranty.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:41 AM

Thank you for the responses. I checked the air-filter and it looked fine.

Hemlock140:
First-time lawn-mower owner so yes I didnt drain the tank earlier. I will look into getting Gumout and give it a try.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Check filter, does it look black and clogged of oil? At 5-6 times use and less than 1 yr old I'm thinking its another problem.

So replace the spark plug. Carefully take plug out, bring to shop to match and get a new one.

If not that then call company, you're probably still under the 1yr warranty.
Just so I know I am looking at the right thing, the filter is the one behind or near the bulb right? It is like a sponge? If so, this looked clean and didn't have much oil in it. I will look at replacing the spark plug.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:57 AM

2,322 posts, read 1,598,981 times
someone will have to remove the fuel bowl from the bottom of the carb and unstick the fuel inlet needle .. or at least pull the drain valve/nut from the bottom of the fuel bowl and see if new fuel is entering the bowl .. it will most likely never start on the old fuel that is still in there ..if you`re not familiar with such things it will require someone who is ..

Old 04-07-2017, 09:22 AM

24,717 posts, read 59,579,994 times
Usually if you leave gas in it over the winter, you will need to take it in and have the carburetor rebuilt. It costs about $100 most places. Sometimes a little less or more. You can do it yourself, but the first time really sucks and you will probably end up losing some parts. However, if you do not go through that first time hell, you will have to take in any small engines you leave gasoline in.

Of course sometimes you rebuild the carb and then it still will not run and you end up taking it in anyway. I hate small gasoline engines with a passion and I am trying to switch as many things to electric a possible.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:37 AM

20,344 posts, read 20,421,819 times
I've never emptied any of my yard equipment gas tanks and have never had any problems starting them in spring, includes tiller, brushcutter, lawn mowers, chain saws, string trimmer etc..., many of these are more than 20 years old.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:17 AM

818 posts, read 484,030 times
fouled plug. Replace and gauge gap according to owner manual.

Buy your gasoline in small quantities. Purchase fuel stabilizer and mix in your fuel can per instructions on label.

I owned 2 push mowers with Briggs and Stratton motors over 28 years. Never cleaned a carb, rebuilt one, or did more than change oil, replace plugs, and replace foam/paper air filters. Of course, I was mowing a small yard under normal, almost ideal conditions for a mower, so maybe lucky or just enough preventative maintenance to start up every Spring.

Leaving fuel in the tank for several months will contaminate your fuel system. Most stabilizers last longer than your storage period between lawn mowing season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or