Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2017, 12:42 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,687,002 times

Advertisements

Has anyone grown these? I have some that have been here for many years but they seem to not be as green anymore, have more brown/dying branches on them and I'm not sure if that's because they are just "old". I'm wondering if I should uproot them and let some new ones grow in their place. They develop an extensive underground root system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 08:18 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,329,097 times
Do you mean adams needle, aka yucca filamentosa?

Old 04-12-2017, 08:43 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,687,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Do you mean adams needle, aka yucca filamentosa?
Yes.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:44 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,329,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Has anyone grown these? I have some that have been here for many years but they seem to not be as green anymore, have more brown/dying branches on them and I'm not sure if that's because they are just "old". I'm wondering if I should uproot them and let some new ones grow in their place. They develop an extensive underground root system.
Ok thanks for clarifying. Yes I've divided mine many times, although they do seem to do OK growing in one spot. Yuccas spread, and the lower leaves eventually die, leaving something that looks like a dracaena. Long stalk with spiky leaves on top.

IMO this looks cool and tropical, all in a native plant! You can just pull off the lower leaves (tug gently) to clean them up. I've found that they transplant easily in early spring or fall. They like full sun and fairly good drainage, but will do well in rich soil in my yard anyway. Shade...not so much.

Dig them up, you can dig off bits or dig up the entire rootball and cut it with a shovel. Cutting off suckers may be easier. What I do when transplanting is A. clean up the dead leaves. B. Bury the stalk lower if it is really long...it will resprout like dracaena. C. Water deeply in the hole, let it drain and then water again when the dirt is in. D. And finally with clean clippers, trim down the green leaves like you would an iris. They will regrow.

Best of luck. Adam's needle is one of my FAVORITE plants and high on the list of natives that are hardy, pest free and look tropical. They are beautiful in big containers even, and on slopes. You can divide now or wait until fall to give it a go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden