Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2017, 08:48 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times

Advertisements

So I have several hostas that are looking brown and starting to wilt. Way too early for this and they have been watered and cared for. We did have a hail storm that tore up a lot of them but they are still growing away with all the holes and rips, but not turning brown. Is this a rust disease? Or just? Dying?

I am in MN zone 3
Attached Thumbnails
Hosta dying?-img_1226.jpg   Hosta dying?-img_1227.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 09:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I haven't seen that and we have about 50 hostas. I have seen some around turning yellow then brown due to people planting them in the sun. That would normally affect all of the leaves. Ours are on the north side of the 2 story house and thrive without ever getting any sun at all. Even when the deer and rabbits much off hunks of the leaves they stay nice and green. Yours looks like an infestation of Anthracnose. I would cut off any infected leaves, and throw in the trash. Do not water with a sprinkler, just water the soil and keep the leaves dry. You might look for a local master gardener at a farmers market or other event and take a leaf to ask them for advice.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:43 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
OP...Could be this, foliar nematodes. University of Delaware Cooperative Extension, Kent Co., Commercial Horticulture Information: August 2007

Anthracnose and rust are two common fungi, both look similar.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:43 AM

I looked up folia neatodes from both Minnesota and Wisconsin agriculture extension departments. MN said to just throw away the leaves. WI said no treatment exists and to dig up plant and surrounding dirt, bag and throw away, disinfect tools.

Wonder why they have such different advice.

I wonder if this is what is on the phlox too. Phlox came over from next door and invaded my back yard island garden.
Attached Thumbnails
Hosta dying?-img_1236.jpg  

Old 07-09-2017, 09:56 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
OP, I'm down south of you.

I had a similar problem for several summers in one of the driveway flower beds, about a 5' x 2' space. Last fall, I cleaned it out (all plants and weeds), including the top two inches of soil. I also found grubs, which I tossed into a jar of rubbing alcohol to kill them.

I used the old soil to fill in a low spot in the back of my property that is mostly rock and bought several bags of new dirt and re-filled the driveway bed and raked it smooth. This spring, I worked in a little "clean" compost (no weed seeds) and got several new hostas from a decent local nursery, so they weren't carrying any diseases.

So far, no more problems! Granted, it has been in the 90s and I'm watering a little more than usual, but the plants aren't half-dead as they have been.

I think I had multiple problems, but this extreme clean-out seems to be working.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:59 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I looked up folia neatodes from both Minnesota and Wisconsin agriculture extension departments. MN said to just throw away the leaves. WI said no treatment exists and to dig up plant and surrounding dirt, bag and throw away, disinfect tools.

Wonder why they have such different advice.

I wonder if this is what is on the phlox too. Phlox came over from next door and invaded my back yard island garden.
Well,the phlox looks like powdery mildew.

If it's spreading among neighbors, maybe you have a friendly extension agent in your area who will come by and take a look a couple of gardens.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Well,the phlox looks like powdery mildew.

If it's spreading among neighbors, maybe you have a friendly extension agent in your area who will come by and take a look a couple of gardens.
Thanks for the idea, will try that.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:40 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Well, the phlox looks like powdery mildew.

Tis that.... Powdery Mildew: How to Identify, Control, and Prevent Garden Diseases | The Old Farmer's Almanac

Old 07-09-2017, 10:46 PM

Whew, have to take out all the phlox, don't like them anyway...

Thanks for the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden