U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2017, 09:26 AM

23 posts, read 7,742 times

Advertisements

My young trees have yellow wilted leaves. I have bubbler irrigation on my trees. It was running about 10 minutes twice a day four days a week.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 09:32 AM

1,054 posts, read 984,189 times
Maybe, depends on your soil type as well. I see the strap on the trunk too. Need to loosen than up a bit, don't want it so tight around the tree.

The tree roots are likely sitting in what can only be described as a bowl in the ground. Depending on your soil type in general, I would suspect that the bowl is too damp.

I had 16 foot arborvitaes installed last year. I killed one by accident via over watering it one day. Basically flooded the bowl and drowned the roots. Different type of tree than yours, but did the same yellowing. Had to pull it out and replace with a new one.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:25 AM

5,825 posts, read 7,329,569 times
Depends upon where you are located. In Maine that might be too much water now, but not in Texas.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:18 PM

23 posts, read 7,742 times
I'm in Texas but we've been gettingoff and on rain so I turned off the irrigation completly. Trying to dry out the lawn for the past 3 days. Turned on the tree bubblers for about five minutes and the water drained to the side walk.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:32 PM

7,838 posts, read 3,574,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinljohn View Post
My young trees have yellow wilted leaves. I have bubbler irrigation on my trees. It was running about 10 minutes twice a day four days a week.
Why such a constant twice a day short bit of water. To encourage deep root growth try once a week, very slow but heavier. The old fashioned way I put the hose on a tiny trickle and would do that overnight if a tree was looking dry.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
24,020 posts, read 40,536,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Why such a constant twice a day short bit of water. To encourage deep root growth try once a week, very slow but heavier. The old fashioned way I put the hose on a tiny trickle and would do that overnight if a tree was looking dry.
Yes, watering for that short time so frequently keeps the roots near the surface, where they will be more likely to be damaged by the heat of day, and to rot from pooling of the water under them on the harder soil. ideally you would water one a week-10 days, long enough to let it penetrate to all of the roots and below them. The time depends on your soil, which you would have to test by watering an hour, then dig with a shovel to see how far down it went. If not enough, repeat until it's wet down at least a foot. That could take 20 minutes in good composted soil, or 4 hours in heavy clay.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:56 PM

168 posts, read 117,343 times
It really is determined by the type of soil. Sandy, granular pourous soil will drain and dry quickly while Clay, like we have in Virginia, will hold the water for days. I was told the best way to determine the water need is to dig 4 to 6 inches down and feel the soil for moisture. Overwatering is said to be a very common problem and it will cause a tree to die.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:03 PM

8,753 posts, read 17,385,374 times
Talk to your county extension agent. It looks like the tree dried out or there is insect or disease damage. It's hard to tell from one online photo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden